On the 'tube

SchoolHouse, 1.5 years in 6 minutes.

That is so cool!! It's on my list to make a visit. I'll bring some Vienna Beef dogs and Al's Italian Beef.

So it only needed a foundation, floor, trusses, roof, windows, septic system, complete cooling and heating, an addition, interior walls stripped, and framing and finishing.

No wonder you took it on. Shoot, nothing to it!

The city must be more than delighted. I don't know who else would have put that effort into what amounts not just to historical preservation - but building to higher standards than the original framers could ever have dreamed.

Congratulations on identifying a thing to do, and then doing it. That stuff's good for the soul.

I'm sorry I haven't been to see it in person; thanks for the virtual tour.

Better than an episode of This Old House. The results are really fabulous.

Wow Curt!! I had no idea the extent of a renovation you took with that building...job well done sir!! I love historical markers across the country,good on you for the save of the schoolhouse and giving it new life.

So it only needed a foundation, floor, trusses, roof, windows, septic system, complete cooling and heating, an addition, interior walls stripped, and framing and finishing.

No wonder you took it on. Shoot, nothing to it!

The city must be more than delighted. I don't know who else would have put that effort into what amounts not just to historical preservation - but building to higher standards than the original framers could ever have dreamed.

Congratulations on identifying a thing to do, and then doing it. That stuff's good for the soul.

I'm sorry I haven't been to see it in person; thanks for the virtual tour.

– Proteus

Auctions are interesting, "as is" means you don't know a lot of stuff like is there a well or septic. The old addition had a bathroom which included water so I was hopeful. The good news is we found the well and it did have a 500 gallon septic system that worked. I got 8 gallons a minute of H2O and 3,600 gallons of water before the green dye showed up in the backyard. The state made me install a 1,500 gallon tank which kinda sucks but I was lucky I didn't have to spend 40K on a field.

Hopewell Township is huge and very rural which most don't believe. I had a great first name relationship with everyone in the township administration which helped a lot. I used local builders that had respect for the building which was also a good thing.

The main structure is built like a recording studio, the walls aren't supported by the floor. When we removed 100 yards of dirt to make a crawl space we found the bottom of the structure is 30" down and stopped at the shale line so we added a retaining wall to the back of the building. The old floor joists were originally set in pockets in the 18" foundation walls and I decided to add another footing to support the walls and pour a rat slab.

It was a lot of work and a shitload of money but you only get one chance to make it right. The good news is I owe nothing which takes a lot of pressure off but I still work between 60 and 90 hours a week to keep up with the workload which I am thankful for.

I know, too much information!

That is so cool!! It's on my list to make a visit. I'll bring some Vienna Beef dogs and Al's Italian Beef.

– JBGretschGuy

Perfect, please remember the Old Style!

No Curt, never too much info regarding any facet of this wonderful historical restoration and the exceptional work you do here.

Absolutely amazing Curt. That's my vision of heaven right there

It is a unique place. I love seeing history being restored instead of torn down!

...it would be a great place for a Round-Up, Curt....

It is a unique place. I love seeing history being restored instead of torn down!

...it would be a great place for a Round-Up, Curt....

– ruger9

I had an open house / round up when I opened and it was a blast. There are a couple issues inside which are size and acoustics, it doesn’t take much volume for it to be loud. For the open house I rented a stage, two tents, a large grill and a lot of other things so it got costly quickly.

What Redrocker and I have been discussing is an acoustic thing Friday night and a round up next door at my neighbors barn the next day.

Wow, this is really cool. As was said, it's nice to see decrepit old buildings revived and made better rather than torn down. What a great workspace. Nice job!

That sounds very cool!

Register Sign in to join the conversation