On the 'tube

SchoolHouse, 1.5 years in 6 minutes.

I don't think I posted this here before, I think I was taking a snooze. If I did let me know so I can delete it.

That’s really fun, interesting and surprising. Even more so as I have been there. It didn’t occur to me that the build was so extensive.

Has it been six years already? How time flies!

Wow. I saw some of the progress on the ground but didn’t appreciate the full extent of the project.

Was the ‘95’ hippie paint job omitted or did I blink?

That space turned out really nice, Curt. The lighting is particularly attractive.

Where do you do your finishing? Do you have an attached clean room or something?

Wow. I saw some of the progress on the ground but didn’t appreciate the full extent of the project.

Was the ‘95’ hippie paint job omitted or did I blink?

– NJBob

You must have snoozed.

That space turned out really nice, Curt. The lighting is particularly attractive.

Where do you do your finishing? Do you have an attached clean room or something?

– Ric12string

I have a certified Accudraft downdraft spray booth. It exhausts thru a stack that looks like a brick fireplace that was build with 100+ year old bricks from Brooklyn. It pretty much takes up the room so it's hard to make out.

Also, I have a 5hp rotary screw compressor that's oil free and sounds like a loud shopvac when it's running.

That is so cool Curt! I've been involved in a few substantial renovations and can appreciate all the hard work and the extensive attention to detail you undertook!

Awesome place! Well done Curt.

The deer that must have walked through there at night and looked at one another and said wtf?

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing. I also didn't realize how much work you had to put into the building.

Nice video Curt, thanks for posting. I strongly prefer the Tom Waits version.

It's funny, I know that chalkboard is there behind your work table, but I somehow never connect it back to the schoolhouse!

Great! I can't wait to visit some time!

Thanks for the nice comments.

The graffiti(ish) paint work started out as just a 95 because a couple delivery companies said they couldn't find the place. I had some spray bombs laying around so I used them.

Here's a little better picture of the brick exhaust stack. The goal was to have it look nice vs. an ugly pipe shooting out of the roof but also make a transition for the building possible and use it as a fireplace. I figured if things didn't work out I could convert it into a house or office. If things go well I figure I can do this another ten years and then I can have some options, maybe even live here.

The video is great, Curt. It really shows the extent of the work that was put into the project. Again, I need to pay a visit sometime soon- been so long since the day of the grand opening!

The building is heated and air conditioned using a geothermal system. This picture shows one of the two 225' wells being drilled. It's a closed system and each well represents two tons.

It was so much fun watching this renovation take place, from the anxiety of the auction to Opening Day. Curt shared so much of the construction, I really learned a lot!

Congratulations, Curt. The Old School looks beautiful.

Thanks Deed, I remember considering a name that contained the word shack, you and others quickly talked me out of it then you and Bonedaddy Keith suggested Old School which I’m grateful.

Register Sign in to join the conversation