On the 'tube

Rick Beato rocks a Streamliner 2420

Rick livestreams, using an unamplified 2420 acoustically to demonstrate some guitar-educational principles.

He doesn't talk about the guitar, but there it is, front and center for the whole episode.

(It's a couple minutes in before he picks it up.)

I like this guy, he always has huge content in his videos. I've learned a lot from him over the past couple of years, he definitely keeps my interest and I've supported his efforts by buying his book.

Does anyone else (besides Wade H) have Rick Beato's book? How is it? Is it pretty dense or can you progress through it at a good pace? Has it influenced how you play since you have had it? Was it a good investment of $50? What was the best thing that you took from it and made your own?

Kudos! Wish I could play like that. Much to learn.

Hi Ric, The Beato Book has a huge amount of music theory, written on a collage level, I bought it about 2 months ago. I already had a basic knowledge of music theory, from 6 years of piano lessons, 8 years of band, and 3 years of theory in High School, this book goes far beyond basic theory. I graduated High School in 1978, so much of what I learned had faded.

It's fairly easy to understand if you take your time with it. It's over 400 pages long and covers just about everything a musician would like to know. I'm working with Modal Modulation right now, attempting to improve my songwriting skills.

Rick Beato runs 25% discounts from time to time, which is how I bought it. I was a little overwhelmed with it at first, but I slowed down a bit, and took my time to absorb the material. Having a piano or keyboard is helpful, especially if you already read music.

It's a no nonsense approach to music theory, and you will need to focus your attention on the material. There are no superfluous words or diagrams, every word and notation is important. It's a tremendous bang for your buck, especially if you can take advantage of a 25% discount offer.

I can highly recommend The Beato Book, and I'm completely satisfied with my purchase of it. I think that there is something in it for any musician who wants to get serious about learning music theory, or add to an already existing foundation.

Wade, does it simply go into the theory, or does it also discuss with practical illustrations of how to apply that theory to your own playing?

Ric, Beato gives a tremendous amount of examples of arpeggios and chord relationships, that can be applied to your improvisational playing. There are over a hundred pages of chord charts, showing the dots on a graphic representation of the fretboard, however the section on arpeggios is written in sheet music form. There are no tablatures, only music notation on the 5 line staff in treble clef, it's necessary to read music to get the most out of the book. I haven't gotten into the section on arpeggios yet, but I think I'll work the first few out on the keyboard, then adapt it to the guitar. Although I am fluent reading music on some instruments (piano, violin trombone), I am not a strong sight reader on the guitar, that's one thing I'm hoping to fix by forcing myself to read on my guitar.

Register Sign in to join the conversation