On the 'tube

Plastic Bridge Pins VS Ebony Bridge Pins

I replaced the plastic bridge pins with ebony ones. for the occasion I recorded this simple audio / video. Paolo

Thanks for doing this, Paolo! I listened to it through headphones and was surprised the difference was that subtle.

The ebony pins sound a little more brilliant, clearer and present to me - as if the tone is quicker if you will. It might be a little too much for some applications, though. The plastic sounds even and for some reason more pleasant to me. A little more familiar, trying to avoid the term "older". I think I slightly prefer them.

Considering other factors like room, mics, mic position, preamps, recording device, mixing, mastering, speakers etc. the differences for the listeners are close to marginal. Pretty sure it might matter to the player. What do YOU think?

neither are as good as buffalo horn or fossilized ivory. i've used all three, and horn wins out by a wide margin.

Thanks for doing this, Paolo! I listened to it through headphones and was surprised the difference was that subtle.

The ebony pins sound a little more brilliant, clearer and present to me - as if the tone is quicker if you will. It might be a little too much for some applications, though. The plastic sounds even and for some reason more pleasant to me. A little more familiar, trying to avoid the term "older". I think I slightly prefer them.

Considering other factors like room, mics, mic position, preamps, recording device, mixing, mastering, speakers etc. the differences for the listeners are close to marginal. Pretty sure it might matter to the player. What do YOU think?

– sascha

Thank you Sascha for your answer. what I think, first of all to the touch and sight they are considerably superior, plastic is horrendous and deforms with the tension of the strings; also it seems that having a greater grip, they fit more firmly; as for the sound, I immediately noticed a greater sustaine and a greater definition in the high sounds.

neither are as good as buffalo horn or fossilized ivory. i've used all three, and horn wins out by a wide margin.

– macphisto

being a martin d18 I wanted to keep a black color, so I opted for the ebony ones

Beautiful playing, Paolo. A couple question on variables in the A-B comparison. 1. Were the strings used on the plastic and ebony pins identical in type and newness?

1. Why not just replace the pins while keeping the strings on? You could do this now and just pop the plastic ones back in. Then you’ve eliminated the string type/age variable.

Again...beautiful playing.

Beautiful playing, Paolo. A couple question on variables in the A-B comparison. 1. Were the strings used on the plastic and ebony pins identical in type and newness?

1. Why not just replace the pins while keeping the strings on? You could do this now and just pop the plastic ones back in. Then you’ve eliminated the string type/age variable.

Again...beautiful playing.

– NJBob

thanks for your answer NJBob, as you can see from the video in time laps, the strings are always the same; I just gave the guitar a general clean, moving the strings, then putting them back together.

paolo.

Thank you Sascha for your answer. what I think, first of all to the touch and sight they are considerably superior, plastic is horrendous and deforms with the tension of the strings; also it seems that having a greater grip, they fit more firmly; as for the sound, I immediately noticed a greater sustaine and a greater definition in the high sounds.

– Paolo_Spadaro

That's what I was hearing also but I think here it comes down to personal taste and playing style. That's what I mean with "too much for some applications". I have a Martin 000-15 that sounds best (to me) with slightly older strings. Less sustain, less bright. Sounds like on older records. I love it like that.

The wearing is definitely a factor to consider.

Register Sign in to join the conversation