On the 'tube

Neil Young Gear on “Dead Man”

Does anyone here have an idea the gear used by Neil Young on the “Dead Man” soundtrack? With my ears, I hear some vintage White Falcon, on a Tweed Twin. With an Echoplex. Some Martin accoustic on some tracks.

Some guess that it was his p90 Les Paul “Old Black”

???

One of my favorite movie, director, and soundtrack. The Criterion Collection release of this movie features footage of NY in the studio. It’s dark in there, can’t make out much but Old Black seems to be used with a Martin on the main opening track. Excerpt on YT:

Link

I’m pretty sure it’s his les paul into a tweed deluxe. Not sure of the echo machine though

I’d agree with the above list from Denny and Paul. I also believe it’s an echoplex with a very worn tape!

I’ve been playing this recently on a Gretsch into a Vox with a Watkins Copicat, and can get close to this sound. The behaviour of the echo is different to the copicat- the repeats trail and decay in a different fashion, the same as when i’ve Used an EP-1. One of the best soundtracks in modern times. Thanks for the YT link also! Haven’t seen that since the film came out.

Did a video, you can hear how the echoplex is different to the copicat here.

I would imagine Neil would have used his usual set-up for recording that soundtrack, minus the big stage stuff. Here's a good run-down in Guitarworld.

It may be my wishful thinking. I just hear some Gretsch in there.

Thanks for the demo post, rollerdoor. And Jim the Guitarworld link is sweet. I still hear Vintage Falcon. Dreamin’ I guess.

And his stage amps are fed through a giant Magnatone cabinet with “eight horns, four 10-inch speakers, four 15-inch speakers and two 15-inch passive radiators.”

What the.....? Plus how would you move that without a crane? Loved the video, great to see him playing so well and rocking out

Border’s ‘Tude link burst my bubble. On my widescreen tv it is the rear view of “Old Black”. Mystery solved.

Vince, I had another heavy monster amp. A Baldwin Exterminator. 2 x15”, 2 x 12”, 2 x 8” . My band used a dolly and blanket when we moved that thing. I must have weighed 200 lbs. Almost a tube sound.

A saw a post that NY used one of those at some point. Can’t verify that.

Ah. Just listened to Tonight's the Night. I'm older, not stoned but surprised how clearly everything came back to me. Beautiful

FYI there's a new Neil "art film" called "Paradox" that's on Netflix (directed by Darryl Hannah.) No new musical ground but he does a few new songs as well as the background music which sounds like Old Black. It's a kind of post-apocalyptic spaghetti Western magical-realism concert movie with lots of pretty photography...and Old Black and an old Martin (Hanks?). The Promise Of The Real is the band in the film and they are quite good. Quick cameo of a White Falcon too.

Vince, I had another heavy monster amp. A Baldwin Exterminator. 2 x15”, 2 x 12”, 2 x 8” . My band used a dolly and blanket when we moved that thing. I must have weighed 200 lbs. Almost a tube sound.

A saw a post that NY used one of those at some point. Can’t verify that.

– Dennyhummel

Yep, I had one of those too. Liked the purple tone push button setting.

My back still hurts 50 years later, and yes you'll still see it on stage with Neil at times.

Memory lane.

Register Sign in to join the conversation