On the 'tube

My goodness, ever so many Gretsch sightings in this!

I love this video! I watched it a few years ago and now I'm going to find time to watch it again. The Monkees story is fascinating.

Very cool and sad at the same time.

I agree, Dave. I never realised the actual ‘active’ life of The Monkees was so short.

Just goes to show though, don’t kill the golden goose, it’s payin’ the rent.

Probably the first band I got into before The Beatles. It was close.

There is the story of how Mike Nesmith, because of the show's relationship with Gretsch, introduced their electric 12-string.

The neck on his own customized Gretsch Tennesseean 12 broke while they were in early filming. Nez asked Gretsch for help and they delivered with one of 3 double-cutaway custom made electric 12-strings.
The other 2 went to Chet Atkins and George Harrison. Not long afterward, Gretsch added it in their line.

I was taking in some of the recent docs about Laurel Canyon in the late 60s, and noticing Micky Dolenz was like the Zelig of that whole music scene. He hung out with everyone and was known to throw a lot of wild parties himself. He lived right off of Lookout Mountain Rd. on Horseshoe Canyon, so he was close to everything going on.

Of all the members of the Monkees, it made sense considering Micky was already a Hollywood actor from a showbiz family. It was probably like a fish taking to water.

One true story recounted by Micky, that had multiple witnesses; among the many attendees at one Dolenz house party were Harry Nilsson and John Lennon, when Brian Wilson came by later in the evening. Everyone was thrilled and anxious. At one point Brian is noodling at Micky's piano, playing and singing, but he's playing the same 2 chords, and repeating the same simple melody over and over, ad nauseam, until Lennon final yells out; 'Get to the chorus Brian!'

A cool little detail that was lost on me as a kid, but noticed when re-watching The Monkees with my own kids years later;

Peter's tendency to wear his belt buckle to the side. Many fans might have thought it's some mod 60s fashion trend, musicians watching probably knew it was to prevent buckle rash on the back of his guitars.

A cool little detail that was lost on me as a kid, but noticed when re-watching The Monkees with my own kids years later;

Peter's tendency to wear his belt buckle to the side. Many fans might have thought it's some mod 60s fashion trend, musicians watching probably knew it was to prevent buckle rash on the back of his guitars.

– Edison

The other reason to wear your buckle to the side was if you ever worked in a gas station, or was a mechanic, it prevented scratching a customers car! It became a lifelong habit of mine, nothing makes a customers day like a long scratch while cleaning a windshield! , One of the last "Sidewinders"

Register Sign in to join the conversation