On the 'tube

My Band’s Appearance on Local Television

We do know that the Sunrays were a mid 60's surf style band, produced by Murry Wilson, and had a couple of minor hits, don't we? "I Live For the Sun" and "Andrea"

That was The Sunrays. Murry Wilson's creation to spite his sons when they gave him the heave ho.

My band is The Sun Rays.

I guess the Bucking Hams, Her Man's Hermits, Fleet Wood Mac, the Heart Breakers, and the Beat Les have nothing to worry about.

I don't know which is worse, having a band name that's similar to bands from the past or bands from the present. I thought our bands name was unique but there are several bands named Top Dead Center across the nation.

I don't know which is worse, having a band name that's similar to bands from the past or bands from the present. I thought our bands name was unique but there are several bands named Top Dead Center across the nation.

– Suprdave

When my son was in high school... He fronted a nouveau-punk band called The AssHats... not much competition for a name like that!

When I was working in Nashville, I did some gigs in an R&B horn band called “Billy Phipps And The GD* Liars”.

(Sorry for the thread drift)

I guess the Bucking Hams, Her Man's Hermits, Fleet Wood Mac, the Heart Breakers, and the Beat Les have nothing to worry about.

– beatbyrd

You are a very perceptive guy!

What a treat. Aerostar is a fabulous track- love the little chromatic part. Such a sweet melody over that I-VI-II-V progression. Great choice, such a sundown feel as the rays fade into dusk after a day at the beach.

You've got it all under control, Bob. Great touch, effortless accuracy and just the perfect tone and reverb blend. So often I hear the drip fixation totally overdone, swamping the music in clang. You have it just right.

Thanks for your comments, Ade. As always, they reflect the thoughts of someone who listens carefully to the music that we post on the GDP and who disassembles it somewhat in your own mind to evaluate it and comment on it.

Your thoughts about reverb are not dissimilar to my own. I enjoy surf music and it is a genre which requires heavy doses of reverb in some instances to make it sound authentic. But, I think that, like with salt or garlic, it can be overdone. (Well, maybe not garlic, but definitely salt can be overdone.)

There is an upcoming surf guitar convention next month that I will be attending. I went last year and it is the real authentic sounding surf guitar music. All day long. And into the night. By the end of the night, which was around midnight or later, your head is throbbing from the reverb. And when everything is awash deep in reverb, it can muddy up some songs that may well benefit from being played with a little less of it.

So, while I love surf music, I definitely can stand the more judicious use of reverb. The problem is that, historically, surf guitar music was played with a lot of reverb. So, to remain true to the roots of the genre, it is still done today. I think that that is why I may well lean a bit more towards the instrumental rock side of things than only playing surf music. That song, Aerostar, is a prime example of the kind of music that I really enjoy playing.

Register Sign in to join the conversation