On the 'tube

My Band’s Appearance on Local Television

Please allow me a slight derail - for those who still enjoy instrumental surf music, the 11th annual SurfGuitar101. com convention is taking place in Los Angeles on Aug 3-5, details HERE. I know that at least 2 GDP'rs will be performing (though probably not with a Gretsch).

Great stuff there Bob

Matt, it would be hard to find a bad song on that Jet Set album, wouldn’t it? I am particularly fond of Aerostar and Wrong Way Inn, but they are all good. Glad that you dug our rendition of it.

Thanks again, John, Bob and Tom for your kind words. Tom, you have me curious about what songs from the Sixties had that boinky hollow sound for a snare like we had in this video. I gave it some thought and I don’t think that I can recall any songs that sounded quite like that. What are some of the songs that come to your mind?

And thanks to Dave² and Don for your support. Don, we did several songs that day which we are rolling out on Facebook, so you will probably see them over there. Not sure that I have earned enough credit around the GDP to torture with yet more songs. At the studio that day, we also played Sleepwalk and Latin’ia, the latter being a classic surf song from the Sentinals. I will try to find a setlist and send one to you offline so that I don’t hog the bandwidth here.

Thanks Fritz! As an authentic Pool Boy, I really appreciate your kind word. As for the Roundup, I suspect that our drummer, Rick, will very likely return to the event, but not sure that Tom (guitar) or Terry (bass) have expressed any interest in joining us. We’ll see. If they came, we could certainly do a mini-set with you, Mel, Geoff, Joe and Carla and others joining us.

Rich, we will most definitely use this video for promotional purposes. The sound mix isn’t quite what I had hoped for, particularly on another song, Latin’ia. But, it gives the viewer an idea of what we do. Thanks for your encouragement.

Parabar, this probably sends chills up and down your soulful spine hearing surf music. That was probably one of your less favorite Roundups that we had, I can imagine. But, there were lots of bands that used keyboards that played instrumental rock and surf music. Maybe we can draft you sometime! Cowabunga, dude!

6SC, Michael and Journey, we do need more instrumental music. Even my family tells me that they would prefer to come hear me sing rather than play music. If instrumental music became more prevalent, there would be less push back, I surmise.

Proteus, it is all about the appearance of the amplifiers. A band that plays surf music (which is a narrower pigeonhole than we should be squeezed into) typically has vintage Fender amps and reverb tanks. There is a bit of looking down one’s nose at people that bring in a different amp because it just doesn’t look right. I played through a Quilter amp a couple of summers ago at Surf Camp and it sounded fantastic; to my ears, every bit as good as the tube amps others were playing through. Yet, no one seemed to get as excited about it as they did the older Fender tube amps. So, if I buy a vintage Fender amp, it would be equally as much for the appearance as the tone. I already have an amp or two that sounds pretty darn good to my ears for this kind of music, so I would really be wanting to capture the appearance.

Rich, thank you again for having come out to hear our band play at the Polo Lounge. It was great having you there. I regret not having had sufficient time to talk with you. I hope that it was as fun for you as it was for us.

If you like it, Richard, then that is good enough for me!

I will be at the Surf Guitar 101 convention with Fritz and others. Your head will be awash with reverb at the end of the night, but it is truly good stuff. Our own Ernesto Hernandez and King Pelican from San Antonio will be performing. That right there is worth the price of admission. Beyond the music, the people in the surf guitar community are pretty good people. You’d like them.

Thanks Paul and Joe.

Great stuff Bob. Good music, well played. Your Exec delivers in spades for this style music. Clean and clear as a bell!

As for a vintage Fender that would sound great for this music, don't discount a BF Pro Reverb. More power than the DR but two 12" and a kickass bass response.....more than I ever need. It is heavier thought.

Dude!

Can I have your autograph?

You and your rig sounded great, bud. And I WONDERED why your interview had that back-of-a-squad-car feel. It all becomes clear.

Super fun to watch and listen too! Awesome!!!!

Congrats man....VERY COOL indeed !

Ric12String said: Parabar, this probably sends chills up and down your soulful spine hearing surf music. That was probably one of your less favorite Roundups that we had, I can imagine. But, there were lots of bands that used keyboards that played instrumental rock and surf music. Maybe we can draft you sometime! Cowabunga, dude!

Surf music was part of my musical upbringing. My first band in junior high school (in which I was the drummer) played several Beach Boys, Jan and Dean and Ventures tunes (and the mandatory "Pipeline" and "Wipe Out") along with assorted British Invasion favorites, and whatever else we liked that we could figure out how to play. I even wrote a couple surf instrumentals back then too! And I had a perfectly swell time at the Surf Special RoundUp, although I probably had enough Farfisa/Vox Continental tones back then to last me a while longer!

Good for you, RicBob.

Great work, Bob!!

You are clearly an accomplished veteran in the "art" of TV interviews. Well done!

I thoroughly enjoyed The Sun Rays -- very nice tight and crisp sound with great musicianship. My single "reservation" was the sound of the snare drum but you have already addressed that. Looking forward to seeing & hearing more Sun Ray music!

Well done, Bob!

The snare tone could well be inherent in the snare. I've got a snare with that ring and I couldn't find a way to make it stop - I tried new heads, new snare wires, even installed an internal mute. The wallet trick worked to an extent depending where you hit it. I wound up borrowing a snare that had the tone I was looking for.

If he's game, you might want to go shopping with your drummer for a special "surf" snare. You can usually find a decent selection of used snares at Guitar Center.

You can usually find a decent selection of used snares at Guitar Center.

And sometimes they have drums attached! (Sorry Mel, had to do it. You left it wide open.)

(Cue ba-DUM-chunk for full cheesoid effect.)

I liked it Alot, great song ,great rendition.

I thought that sonically, the snare sound was vaguely reminiscent of Mel Taylor’s on “Walk Don’t Run”...but...at least on my phone, it sounded like the snares were off.

The fact that we're all focusing on the snare sound means that it's distinctive and memorable. Those are not necessarily bad things.

Very nice work, Bob.

Of course, if you are a surf instrumental band, THIS is the ultimate endorsement from Eric Von Zipper and his Rat Pack...

My band rehearsed yesterday and I showed our drummer with the video something that he already knew, which was that he strikes the head pretty close to the rim. He concentrated on striking the head closer to the middle during rehearsal yesterday and the tonal difference was remarkable.

By the way, for those of you on Facebook, there is another video up there from this television experience. I didn't post it here in fear of hogging bandwidth. For those of you interested, it is over there.

Thanks again, everyone, for your supportive comments. Especially Eric von Zipper's! Indeed, we will wear that as a badge of honor.

In a word, Bob: Bitchin'!

Now there is a 60s word you don't hear too much anymore. Thanks, Andy.

Also, copacetic.

– Proteus

Was that a 60s word?

Register Sign in to join the conversation