On the 'tube

Mary Kaye Trio - Fools Rush In

Well she seems to be flyin' through those chords with no problem — nice guitar, too. And they don't make frocks like that anymore.

Not familiar with her except as a name on a Strat finish...wow, what a badass...

...and a D'Angelico too!

Timely. I've had a strong Jonesing for a Mary Kaye Strat lately. I'm not a huge Strat guy, but I first saw one of these when I was about 14 or 15 and thought it was one of the coolest guitars I'd ever seen, and have had a thing for them ever since.

Those guys are superb singers, sumptuous harmonies, ice cool unison lines, crisp suits.

Mary has the fine cut glass vocals like Keely Smith had.

Trombones perfectly arranged too. The whole thing is fab.

Until the calypso!

I find it hilarious that she's associated with Fender solidbodies when her reputation was built playing the furthest thing from a solidbody, her D'Angelico.

I knew Mary well. I used to be in a band with her son Jay and we rehearsed in Mary's living room. Sometimes when we'd take a break, she'd come out of the kitchen with her apron on, pick up my guitar, and make me feel like an idiot. She was very sweet and nice to us though. She had some 3-pickup Telecasters, some natural finish Les Pauls, and that DeAngelico, along with a Black Face Super Reverb that we weren't supposed to use but Jay did anyway.

So along with Carol Kaye, that's 2 female Kayes associated with Fender...

3 pickup Telecasters? -- dang.

I would have to think that D'Angelico has to be considered a famous guitar. Where is it now, Billy?

It's like Ella Fitzgerald playing a ^%&* guitar!

I knew Mary well. I used to be in a band with her son Jay and we rehearsed in Mary's living room. Sometimes when we'd take a break, she'd come out of the kitchen with her apron on, pick up my guitar, and make me feel like an idiot. She was very sweet and nice to us though. She had some 3-pickup Telecasters, some natural finish Les Pauls, and that DeAngelico, along with a Black Face Super Reverb that we weren't supposed to use but Jay did anyway.

– Billy Zoom

Wait, her son's name was...Jay Kaye?

I would have to think that D'Angelico has to be considered a famous guitar. Where is it now, Billy?

– Windsordave

It looks like she may have had, or at least used, a few D'Angelicos.

Blonde cutaway.

Sunburst cutaway.

Blonde non-cutaway, and a white non-cutaway?

Maybe just an odd photo and it's really blonde. Or maybe it's the blonde one refinished to white.

Or even better, it's a translucent grayish blonde, and with the gold hardware, that would be a D'Angelico in Mary Kaye livery.

Love that video, thanks for posting!! Yes, always thought of the Stratocaster with her name.

Funny watching the video.. from transfer/ multi generation loss, most of the time it looks like there are NO STRINGS on the guitar ! :-O !

Afire, I'm pretty sure the color photo is "colorized." The hues are too saturated; but that may still be a white guitar. She was the one who needed a White Falcon!

They no longer write songs like "Fools Rush In". Great song, tremendous performance.

I have my own little piece of Mary Kaye memorabilia.

Afire, I'm pretty sure the color photo is "colorized." The hues are too saturated; but that may still be a white guitar. She was the one who needed a White Falcon!

– lx

Agreed. It's the fact that it also looks white in the B&W that made me wonder if it really was white.

The DeAngelico I remember had her name inlayed on the fingerboard. It turned up at Guitars R Us in the early 90's and looked like it had been stored outdoors. It was mint when she had it.

I seem to remember her daughter selling some Guitars a couple of years back. She was very nice but I can't remember exactly what the items were. Believe it was CL Los Angeles. Prices were too steep for me. Great video, thanks

Thanks for sharing! Brilliant

Did you have your gretsch at the time , BIlly?

I seem to remember her daughter selling some Guitars a couple of years back. She was very nice but I can't remember exactly what the items were. Believe it was CL Los Angeles. Prices were too steep for me. Great video, thanks

– 949Norm

Was it an actual Mary Kaye Strat up for sale? The original MK Strat?

My wife was friends with the daughter of some guitarist who played with Benny Goodman and I forget his name. His name was Red but forgot his last name. She lost contact with her friend. Anyhow she sold off many of his guitars because she needed the money. This was before my wife knew her. I really wish she had the guitars while my wife knew her because I bet they were some pretty nice Gibson and/or Epi archtops, maybe even a Gretsch. I would have bought one probably if the price was right. At least one.

Poison Ivy from The Cramps was selling a guitar according to Lux when I met him and he told me to ask which guitar but I wasn't in the market. I should have asked which she was selling and maybe buy one.

My neighbor said his dad was a jazz guitarist in the 40s but gave it up to support his family in a regular job. My neighbor says he thinks he still has his guitars. You either do or don't and you know or you don't know so I think he has the but doesn't want to show me them. Be cool to see them because if he was a jazzer back in the 40s then he must have had archtops and of the Gibson, Epiphone or Gretsch variety. My neighbor was born in 1952 so his parents married in the '40s. I think his dad met his mom while he fought in the war in the Philippines. I think he tried to stay a musician until the late 40s and gave it up for a regular 9 to 5 job and had the kids a few years later. I really want to see the guitar(s) without being to invasive about asking because he obviously doesn't want to show them to me.

Register Sign in to join the conversation