On the 'tube

Lovin’ Spoonful - “Do You Believe In Magic”

How can one not feel happy listening to this one? Maybe but for me this is a real feel good song.

You might guess Johnny Ramone may have been a fan too, checkout guitarist Zal’s hair. Maybe Johnny got his influence from him or Sonny Bono.

One of my favorite groups. It's another heat wave in Vancouver so the appropriate song for us from them is Summer In The City.

Windsor, that’s another great song. Another song that puts a smile on my face.

Cute St. Bernard puppy, too!

I've always marveled at the invisible mikes and wireless instruments as well. '60s technology!

At the NorCal Roundup a few years back, John told us that the inspiration for Magic was the chord progression in the Martha and the Vandellas song, Heat Wave. Not the rhythm but the chord progression of the intro.

At the NorCal Roundup a few years back, John told us that the inspiration for Magic was the chord progression in the Martha and the Vandellas song, Heat Wave. Not the rhythm but the chord progression of the intro.

– Don Birchett

That’s cool he was at the Roundup. If that’s the case he must be a GDP member. I had no idea.

The guitarist Zal reminds me of Pat Smear. Obviously his hair is different and he looks different but his large stature and his command of the guitar is what reminds me of him. His smile too. Pat Smear has that grin too and love for guitar even tho the music is polar opposites.

Guild electrics were a big deal back then - right up there with Gretsch.

Guild electrics were a big deal back then - right up there with Gretsch.

– DCBirdMan

I saw on YouTube that the guitarist, Zal played his Guild. This was probably 30 years after he left Music. So he must have loved that guitar to not get trendy on a Les Paul at that ceremony.

zally was a very interesting player...played an awful lot of great riffs and licks...and john sebastian was no slouch either

zallys guitar was guilds answer to the fender jazzmaster/jaguar offset ...with the myriad of switching capabilities

cordoba guild currently offers that zally model

good guitar..

zal doin chet...

rip zally..(chez piggy!... https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...)

cheers

ps- zally used fender super reverb...had that trem/reverb thing..also used ampeg gemini...live they sometimes used the then new standel solid state amps..probably some kind of endorsement deal..but the super was his bread n butter

My understanding is he was kicked out of the band. He didn’t like the direction it was going and he didn’t want to change with the band’s direction. I think when he left the band he left Music. Went into the restaurant business.

no...it was absolutely nothing musical...

it was a 60's bay area bust..and zally (canadian) was faced with losing his usa visa...deals went down..and spoonful were basically blacklisted as a result...zally left anyway, and jerry yester replaced him..for an lp or 2..but they were pretty much done

shame, cause zally had a very clever eclectic style and sweet tones

cheers

neatone tell us more about this bust you are talking about.

He opened a restaurant, Chez Piggy in Kingston, Ontario in '79. After he died, his daughter took over the running of the local landmark.

got caught with a now ca legal weed...pressured to give names or else face deporting...things happened...whether true or not, zally was labelled as snitch..and spoonfuls 60's hippie street cred was dead..

zally bowed out..

he cut that solo lp

alive and well in argentina..super tongue in cheek wwII banishment joke title...needless to say it had a limited release!!

and then dissappeared to become esteemed restauranter back in his homeland

cheers

ps- he was a wonderfully inventive player..and the teeny boppers fave as he mugged and acted goofy whilst playin...he never took it that serious..hence chez piggy!!

I saw on YouTube that the guitarist, Zal played his Guild. This was probably 30 years after he left Music. So he must have loved that guitar to not get trendy on a Les Paul at that ceremony.

– ThePolecats

Mark Dronge - Al's son,worked very proactively to get Guilds into the hands of NY bands in the 60s, with some success. The Spoonful, VU, and others got Guild instruments into their hands via Mark. Prior to that Guild's token "youth endorser" was Duane, and once the Beatles hit, his chart positions weren't driving sales as hard as previously.

Mark was later involved in the 80's renaissance of the company - with the Gruhn associated instruments. Now he's with DR strings.

Zal was a great player. Steve Boone's take on the bust. Don't know how close his version matches the actual happenings https://pleasekillme.com/lo...

Register Sign in to join the conversation