On the 'tube

kool Les Paul vid

"Electrified, transcribed, and multiplied"

Priceless.

That guitar has the sneaky DeArmond hiding in a soapbar cover in the neck position.

It does. Here's another pic of it. The one in the background has got the guts of an old Epi pickup in a p90 housing too.

If you look in the vid -- those gold tops have chicken head knobs, front mounted jack.. and bridge pickup of Mary's is some black lookin thing. And this was pre bucker days. Mary chops out some cool playing herself.

Wonder what kinda (Gibson) amps were used here?

Cheers DC,i enjoyed that!

It does. Here's another pic of it. The one in the background has got the guts of an old Epi pickup in a p90 housing too.

– tabletop

Interesting. I guess P-90s simply were not welcome at the Polfus/Ford household. Do you know what type of Epiphone pickup? Any other pictures?

Interesting. I guess P-90s simply were not welcome at the Polfus/Ford household. Do you know what type of Epiphone pickup? Any other pictures?

– Afire

It looks like this one with the big screws very close together

In this shot they are both playing ones with the sneaky DeArmond. The other guitar in shot has the other pickup

This guitars are so far from stock, evidently they didn't find much to like about the standard LP. Hers appears to have an unbound neck, so a '52 right? I wonder what bridge she's using that works with the trapeze and the shallow neck angle. And his also has some odd bar bridge. From the other picture, it looks like the one with the Epiphone pickup also has a Kauffman vibrola and the same bar bridge.

Well Les clearly loved to tinker

Thank you, DC!! That is a FUN and fascinating video.

More of the same is available out there. PBS did an "American Masters" show (2007?) called "Les Paul -- Chasing Sound". It is available on DVD (Amazon and others). It may be available for streaming -- ?? 90 minutes of fascinating history and wonderful music. Think in terms of a bigger version of the "Journey to Sound" video in this thread.

That is a very cool story. I had no idea that Mary Ford was one of the Andrew Sisters.

Mary Ford is now in my mind most notable as being the object of Ted McCarty's compliment, describing her as a "very pulchritudinous lady."

Great video, Birdman, thanks for sharing! I really enjoyed it, I like these types of presentations. It means a lot that it was put together by Les Paul's son, it's a fine tribute to his dad. Ole Les was one of the most talented and innovative musician in American Pop Music. His inventions were something we take for granted today, but were unheard of cutting edge ideas for his generation. He was an American icon for sure.

Les worked with The Andrew Sisters before he went solo.

Mary Ford was born Iris Colleen Summers in El Monte, Calif., July 7, 1924. Her family was a musical one, headed by a Nazarene revival preacher, and Iris began singing with her six brothers and sisters on Pasadena's first Christian radio station. She also became a proficient guitarist.

She got her professional start (still then performing as Iris Summers) with Jimmy Wakely as one of the Sunshine girls. She also performed with Stuart Hamblin and Gene Autry, who was friendly with guitarist Les Paul.

In 1945 Paul was looking to team up with a vocalist for some songs he'd been working on using pioneering recording techniques. He'd considered his pal Bing Crosby but worried that the album would be seen as a Crosby record rather than a collaboration, so he settled on finding a female vocalist instead. It was his pal Autry who recommended Summers.

I forgot to mention that I enjoyed the heck out of this, DC. Thanks so much for putting it up for us. Les was a genius, a sweet man, a big flirt, and we’d sure have pretty much nothing to talk about without him.

I loved this DC and am both enthralled and comforted by the fact that others, as it was said in the video, that it was amazing then and amazing now. I love his tone and it makes me smile to hear that everyone commenting in the video felt the same. I love how much fun it all seemed to Les....his eyes seemed to sparkle and just loved to push the limits of his tone.

Mary's voice is/was/always-be angelic. To sing that without hearing the breath is fascinating. Complete magic.

Thanks for clearing that up , Ms. Deed. I guess I read into it incorrectly on the video.

Register Sign in to join the conversation