On the 'tube

John Zorn’s Dreamers - live 2010 (Gretsch sighting)

This popped up in my YouTube feed (thanks algorhythm) after looking up some John Zorn/Fred Frith collaborations.

I've been a fan of Zorn's since his 'Naked City' album. A couple of years prior to that I discovered The Lounge Lizards, fronted by saxist; John Lurie.

That's when I started connecting the dots with Marc Ribot.
He had also been showing up on Tom Waits records, and even had a tenure with Captain Beefheart in the early 80s. He had to be doing something right.

Ribot falls into that breed of guitarist who ventured into the alternate universe of surgical dissonance and sonic textures, like Arto Lindsay, Phil (Snakefinger) Lithman, and the aforementioned Frith.

And I like watching what Ribot can get out of his '59 Country Gentleman.

Thanks for this. Not dissimilar to stuff Son the Drummer and I do.

I can think of a couple T-shirts in connection. Like Fuzz first, last, and forever. and These aren’t old-man spasms, I’m still rockin’.

I remember reading a Guitar Player article in the 80s profiling a handful of avant gardarists who were taking roads less traveled. It included Zorn, Frith, Bill Frissell, and I think David Torn and John Abercrombie. All guys who’ve gone different directions since - with varying portals of accessibility- but as I’ve realized as I’ve gradually run across their work in the wild, all rewarding in their own ways.

I approve!

Tone may be in the fingers but I bet a lot of people would be pleasantly surprised at what this guitar is capable of in good hands.

There did seem to be a wave of alternative guitarists back then. The ones mentioned, I would also include Henry Kaiser among the players pushing that envelope.

I have wondered if all of that was a reaction/response to the wave of pyro-technic tappers, also prevalent (even pervasive) around the same time. A lot of those players ended up in hair metal bands, but there was Malmsteen, Satriani, Johnson, Vai, .. a breed of purely instrumental shredders looming large on their own.

I never really gravitated toward the latter, for whatever reason preferring the grittier direction pursued. I think I found it too sterile.

Tone may be in the fingers but I bet a lot of people would be pleasantly surprised at what this guitar is capable of in good hands.

– Baba Joe

It was not lost on me what Marc Ribot does with the same Gretsch model that Billy Zoom plays. It speaks volumes of its capabilities and range.

The ones mentioned, I would also include Henry Kaiser among the players pushing that envelope.

Yep. He may have been mentioned in the article as well.

Of the shredders, I enjoyed - still enjoy - Vai. I found the others really boring, and pretty quickly. I thought Vai quirkier and harmonically more adventurous.

absolutely love Ribot's playing....seen him a few times live now...one of my favourite guitarists.

A very pleasant and much needed distraction from what passes today as the modern world. Thanks for sharing.

Register Sign in to join the conversation