On the 'tube

John Denver’s Old Guitar

Nice video, I've always liked John Denver.

That old Gibson of John's is currently on display (as of February anyway) at the Musical Instrument Museum in Scottsdale AZ.

That's a sweet video. John Denver was lucky to have such a nice guitar to learn with.

Not an expert on Gibson guitars by any means, it looks like a Gibson L-50 model that was produced from 1935 on. I've had a chance to play a pristine example from an acquaintance rescued from her father's closet. It sounded real nice, like the video.

Lee

He sure gets a lovely sound out of that old archtop. He says he got it from his grandmother dating it to 1910 and I'm sure he did the research to confirm its age. Such a warm wonderful voice to go with the tone of his guitar.

Sorry to burst everyone’s bubble but that guitar was made post 1934.

It’s either in 1934L 50 or an L30 following that date. I just finished restoring 34 so I’ve done a fair amount of research on that body shape. Also the tailpiece has been replaced

Lee and Paul I totally believe you two are correct about the dates of that model. I can guess that his grandma probably mixed up the date on that guitar with another guitar she had from circa 1910 and passed the misinformation to her grandson and he just took the date as gospel.

Man, people were so dumb and gullible in the '70s.

Lee and Paul I totally believe you two are correct about the dates of that model. I can guess that his grandma probably mixed up the date on that guitar with another guitar she had from circa 1910 and passed the misinformation to her grandson and he just took the date as gospel.

– ThePolecats

I think John Denver knew guitars more than well enough to know that that one wasn't from the 1910s. He was telling a folksy story on a TV show, nothing more.

Register Sign in to join the conversation