On the 'tube

Jamming An Obscure Cover On My Duo Jet Over Lunch - 8/19/2021

My daughter has a tripod so I thought I would play around with it today over lunch since I was home alone. This is a buried gem of a song by Philadelphia band Smash Palace called Juliet To Me from their 1985 album.

I'm not familiar with the song but well done and good to see your smiling face.

Sounds good! Dynas have a nice growl to them that 'Filters just can't get. That's one thing I miss about my old Dyna loaded Country Clubs.

BuddyHollywood, it really IS good to see your smiling face! I love the song too! It's great to hear and see you playing your beloved Duo Jet. I resently bought a G6131T PE Firebird Jet w/HS Filter'Trons. It's a great guitar and very rapidly became my number one. Duo Jets are amazing instruments, the tone is killer on mine, and I bet it is on yours is too. I've heard a lot of good things about Dyna Jets!

Yeah thanks Wade! This guitar and me are riding into the sunset together if I have anything to say about it.

Very nice cover. Smash Palace was a big fixture on the Philly (and NYC) club circuit back in the 80's and actually are still around. The band's longevity is rooted in its two founding core members, Steve and Brian Butler who have been playing together for 50 years. Smash Palace actually has a new album, "21" releasing this month. Another great "power pop" band that never had the national success they deserved. The local Philly scene was loaded with great bands back in the 80's.......The A's, Smash Palace, The Hooters, Tommy Conwell, Robert Hazzard, Ken Kweder, Ben Vaughn Combo. You could find two or three good bands to see every week.

Very nice cover. Smash Palace was a big fixture on the Philly (and NYC) club circuit back in the 80's and actually are still around. The band's longevity is rooted in its two founding core members, Steve and Brian Butler who have been playing together for 50 years. Smash Palace actually has a new album, "21" releasing this month. Another great "power pop" band that never had the national success they deserved. The local Philly scene was loaded with great bands back in the 80's.......The A's, Smash Palace, The Hooters, Tommy Conwell, Robert Hazzard, Ken Kweder, Ben Vaughn Combo. You could find two or three good bands to see every week.

– Gretschadelphia

I still play the debut Smash Palace album as if it came out this year. It's been one of those permanent fixture albums, like The Hooters' Amore, that have traveled with me to Los Angeles, CA from Harrisburg, PA. There was so much great music brewing around the New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland area back then that I took it for granted.

Never heard of the song or band before. But I really dug your performance. And I'm a sucker for jangly pop songs, smiling faces, and duo jets w/ dynasonics. Thanks!

There was so much great music brewing around the New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland area back then that I took it for granted. BuddyHollywood

Hey BuddyHollywood, I graduated high school in Frederick MD, and I have been to Harrisburg many times. I was in Maryland from the beginning of the 9th grade (1974), until I joined the Army after high school (1979). I was an Army brat, and I lived in Rockville MD while dad was stationed at Walter Reed, and moved to Frederick when he was transferred to Ft. Detrick MD. I returned to the area for many years to visit in laws.

There was so much great music brewing around the New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland area back then that I took it for granted. BuddyHollywood

Hey BuddyHollywood, I graduated high school in Frederick MD, and I have been to Harrisburg many times. I was in Maryland from the beginning of the 9th grade (1974), until I joined the Army after high school (1979). I was an Army brat, and I lived in Rockville MD while dad was stationed at Walter Reed, and moved to Frederick when he was transferred to Ft. Detrick MD. I returned to the area for many years to visit in laws.

– Wade H

I was just in Harrisburg a couple of weeks ago to visit my family. It's really beautiful! I don't know what I was thinking wanting to move away from there. I was young, bored and driven but now that I'm older and have a family it would be nice to raise them in that environment or somewhere similar. I'm rooted in Los Angeles with relationships, work and music gigs so it's fine. I still love it here on the West Coast but whenever I go back to the East Coast I feel nostalgic.

"(Don't Go Back To) Rockville" is probably my favorite R.E.M. song.

Register Sign in to join the conversation