On the 'tube

I really don’t know what to say.

Thanks for sharing that, Proteus. Efforts like this blow me away. So much talent out there. It's inspiring to see artists do these self-produced videos, whether as an audition reel, a love letter to their favorite band, or just to alleviate boredom.
Doesn't matter, I just love seeing it. No audience present, just someone basking in and celebrating music.

A while back I stumbled onto this fellows' video, not unrelated.

He plays Rush's 'Permanent Waves' LP, .. including the handling of Geddy Lee's vocal parts (wha?).

He needs to get out more, maybe get a girlfriend.

I'm kidding, of course. Really quite extraordinary that anyone can be that good at playing so many instruments. If I were to guess (which is exactly what I am doing) I would say he started on drums, closely followed by guitar. Keys looks like his least 'comfortable' gig.

He needs to get out more, maybe get a girlfriend...Derek Martin

It is precisely the ridding one’s self of girlfriends, wives, children and such time sucking distractions that allows one to produce such fun stuff.

Check out my upcoming memoir, “Wives Aren’t Gentlemen”.

Tim, I think you could do something similar, as you are sound in many instruments.

.. I have heard the term 'dobro widow' over the years. Has a nice chime and rhythm to it.

Basically very patient and forgiving wives/girlfriends who, on some level, understand a musical obsession.

The above players might fall onto the aspergers spectrum, but who's to say that would be a bad thing.

Anyway, most musicians I know (certainly every pro musician I've known) feel compelled to learn multiple instruments. I think projects like that are a great tool for stretching out. You can do them at your own time and under your conditions.

I think you could do something similar, as you are sound in many instruments

Well thanks - but not drums. And I can overdub and mix, but I don’t have his precision of technique in execution (on any instruments).

Also, he presumably worked all the parts out by ear, not only teasing apart the lines, but nailing the chord voicings, keyboard patches and registrations. I'm not up to that on music of this density and complexity. I think the musical intelligence, imagination, inspiration, and insight to Identify song bits to incorporate - and their sequence and seamless transitions - are pretty rare. I could string stuff together, but I'm afraid it would be rather more plodding and obvious.

As he has given other similarly complex bands’ the same treatment, I can only think his native musical aptitude (and the physical capacity to fulfill it) was exceptional - and he’s had to have put in the requisite hours to master the instruments. AND must have an incredible ear, quick musical apprehension (and instincts), and a phenomenal understanding of musical architecture.

I’ve spent countless hours immersed in all that music, and don’t begin to comprehend it as thoroughly as he obviously does. (I doubt any of the Yesmen whose collaborative contributions created that music - with possible exception of Trevor Rabin - truly know and inhabit the music like this guy does.)

Most of us have some degree of “normal” or statistically average aptitude for the things we take up as interests or long-term pursuits - relatively more for some things, less for others. Given sustained and persistent effort, practice, repetition, and experience, most of us develop - to some extent - personally satisfying and morless publicly presentable expertise in those pursuits.

I hope it’s not just making excuses for myself, or regretting too many unproductive hours when I coulda shoulda been applying myself and training instinct and muscle, to observe that some humans are somehow unaccountably “gifted” with native capacity which, with intention-effort-application, enables them to perform at a level few of us can hope to attain.

I have to reflect that we are NOT created equal (however devoutly we wish circumstances and opportunity would permit all equal freedom to develop our native gifts). Sometimes gods walk among us.

While personally humbling, it’s inspiring to see (in any field of endeavor) just what feats of wonder, in its exceptional exemplars, the species can rise to.

Somehow it feels both gratifying and strangely ennobling to have the opportunity to experience and appreciate the profound accomplishments of such out-performing people - as if by vicarious participation we are somehow ourselves improved. Or at least lifted, however temporarily, a bit above the morass in which we lesser beings habitually struggle.

I think intellect and ability, like most things in life, is a bellcurve. Very few people are so intrinsically rubbish they can't do anything, while a similar few can seemingly do everything they turn their mind to. Most of us fall somewhere in-between.

What a talent. It was deeply satisfying, entertaining and depressing all at once.

(The pipe organ used has our control systems in it)

I'm not really a Yes fan, but I decided to check it out. The intro music is from my favorite orchestral work of all time, Stravinsky's Firebird.

It's probably not strickly necessary to be Yes fan to appreciate the accomplishment here.

And Yes has used Firebird as their pre-gig intro music for decades (if not every time). I think it was intended to put the concert-goer in a frame of mind conducive to the consumption of Yes's music - which may suggest pretentious overreaching on the part of the band. But by this time it's a Yes tradition, and effective, I think.

At least it's added a whole category of associations to Firebird for me.

I still prefer Rite of Spring.

If you think this guy is good, just wait 'til you hear what I can do with a kazoo and a set of spoons!

Seriously though, I continue to stand in awe of such talent. Even if I don't agree with every note that's played. Thanks for sharing.

Register Sign in to join the conversation