On the 'tube

How many of you remember “The 13th Floor Elevators”?

I love this sound. In the 60's it was so refreshing to hear a new sound like this. Weren't 13th Floor Elevators on a TV commercial a few years back?

Pfft. remember? Who says they went anywhere. I know tons of "kids" who still listen intently.

BTW Roky is back w/ new music after a doc was released about him and his mother's struggle w/ his mental illness. It was released few years back when he seriously began seeking help again. It was called "You're gonna miss me"

Its intersting cause theres a scene where he sits in front of a keyboard, starts playing somehting on Itunes, loops something, and runs it all through waht I remember being a deluxe rerverb cranked.

He then said to his mom "I'm going to go take a nap now."

She then spoke and said "thats the only way he can fall asleep... apparently its the only way to drown out the voices." <something along those lines. Its pretty intense.

http://www.youtube.com/watc...

The Roky Erickson tribute from a few years back was called "Where the pyramid meets the eye" and it's quite good. ZZ Tops version of "Reverberation" -- as mentioned above -- is a highlight.

I always liked the album Roky came out with in the mid-80s... the one with Bermuda and Starry Eyes on it.

And I had no idea "Fire Engine" was a 13th Floor Elevators tune.

I liked his early 80s album "The Evil One", especially "Don't Shake Me, Lucifer", and "Creature with the Atom Brain". :P Yep, he had/has some fairly shlocky lyrical concerns. Probably one of the two most famous acid casualties along with Syd Barrett in terms of an ongoing cult following. But unlike Syd, I get the feeling he hasn't really been able to find much peace. Too many people "helping" him stay in the music business to allow that to happen.

BTW Roky is back w/ new music after a doc was released about him and his mother's struggle w/ his mental illness. It was released few years back when he seriously began seeking help again. It was called "You're gonna miss me"

You beat me to it! Fantastic movie. I found myself reflecting on it often.

I've loved the 13FE's for years. When the garage craze hit (again) in the mid-2000's ever other band made me think "This just sounds like the 13th Floor Elevators".

John Ike Walton, the drummer for the Elevators lives in Kerrville, TX and still plays. I'm a drummer as well as a guitarist and had become acquainted with John through a mutual friend of ours. The way I met him was pretty cool. I live in San Antonio, and our mutual friend told John, "A buddy of mine works at a music store in SA, next time your down there go in and say hi." One afternoon a tall grey haired man in a ball cap walks in the store and says, "I'm looking for Darren." I told him I was Darren, and he introduced himself, "I'm John Ike Walton from the 13th Floor Elevators, Sticks (our friend) said to stop in and say hi and show you something that I've got out in my truck." As I'm following him outside, he says, "Sticks said you were into old stuff, so I thought you get a kick out of this." John had his original Rogers drums with the Elevators logo head in dayglo paint, including the pyramid with the eye at the top! He knew he was coming to San Antonio (about an hour and a half drive), so he threw his drums in the car just in case he saw me. Only in Texas...

Register Sign in to join the conversation