On the 'tube

How many of you remember “The 13th Floor Elevators”?

Only know them because they're on the soundtrack for one of the best movies ever, High Fidelity.

one of my favorite bands of all time!

in fact, it's time to play their classic third album-easter everywhere-... the recently released mono mix is killer....(on now!)

as great as they are tragic

cheers

Looooooove them. I was introduced to them courtesy of the Nuggets comp, which is ace

I'm not into it, but I have a friend who is a rabid collector of their stuff.

Hello! I'm from Texas, of course I've heard of them. Webb Wilder did a great take on this hit

http://www.youtube.com/watc...

Rocky Erikson even made an appearance on Austin City Limits with Billy Gibbons in tow.

Ha, still on my turntable when I saw your post and went to look for it! Yeah, always liked 'em. Got their first used-old copy-vinyl still in good shape This "Psy. Sounds of" LP was produced by International Artist out of Houston. Went to high school with his much younger bro and he was the band drum major-coupla years older than me, tho. Maybe it was the electric jug that hooked me? The back album thanks many including DJ's that "who kept asking 'What is that funny little noise in that record'?" Good call, Doc.

Hi Big Jim Slade,

I have the same LP!

Bought it new in early 1967! :)

It is worth bucks now, I hear! $

Never sell. Raw energy. Heard them described as one of the first punk bands somewhere. The things ole Roky must've went through in the Tx State Hosp. back in the early '70's would probably make "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" look like the Muppet Show by comparison.

Although Roky Erikson is most often seen as the genius in the Elevators, and certainly the most eccentric and news-worthy of the members, I have always really liked the maligned "Bull of the Woods" album, which was driven by guitarist and writer Stacey Sutherland. Funky and bluesy, but still garagey and psych.

for those unfamiliar with the tragic tale of rocky erickson...he was a young talented singer, guitarist and harpist...frontman of a a 60's era psychedelic rock band the likes of which were prevalent in san francisco, like the dead, quicksilver , moby grape etc...unfortunately his band was in more hostile territory, and after being busted on drug possession charges a couple of times, it was arranged that in order to avoid prison, he be placed in rusk state mental hospital....where he was promptly given a mind shattering combo of psychoactive drugs and electro shock therapy, until there was nothing left of him..he has never been the same since and has had long periods of being out of it completely and terribly

he is nevertheless a beloved and celebrated figure...talked up by billy gibbons and the late doug sahm as one of the texas musical greats..he has had numerous books and films done about him and i have no doubt that one day a hollywood feature will be done on this tragic shooting star

cheers

p.s. - the band's label -International Artists -was run by Kenny Rogers' brother, Leland Rogers...

sligo- the real leader and main force behind the band, tho least musically adept was tommy hall..the electric jug player...it was his vision

stacey sutherland was a uniquely gifted guitarist with an equally tragic story

cheers

Interested to hear that about Tommy. I knew he was like a musical and pharmaceutical director, especially in the earlier albums. The later album is just my personal preference, no suggestion of historical revision implied! :) Wasn't he and Roky "out of the picture" for awhile while "Bull" was being made? And what fate awaited Stacey? 8-o

I am unfamiliar with this band. Very typical 1960's garage band sound, though. I have been reading on Wikipedia about them...seems that they were popular, particularly in Texas.

They're very popular in New Zealand, too. Even though they haven't played a gig since 1967 and never toured outside the States.

sligo- man this is gettin sordid...but as i first said -a great band with a great deal of tragedy

tommy split the music scene by -bull of the woods- and roky was involved in the troubles outlined earlier..stacey and some new members cut -bull...

stacey was an interesting player...much in the tradition of that era ie krieger, cippolina...lots of sitar like horizontal lines..and great use of echo w repeats that gave him an almost liquid tone

unfortunately, and here's more tragedy-

he was shot to death by his wife in a domestic dispute

cheers

ric12-

don't let the garage punker -you're gonna miss me- mislead you

that was written before the 13th floor elevators with rokys first band the spades...it was recut by the elevators but was not really indicative of their sound..which was very primitive trippy psychedelic but with very deep and arcane lyrics

another great band- television- used to do a great cover of the elevators track -fire engine

cheers

the elevators had some great cuts! it's astounding how percussive the electric jug can sound in some parts.

unrelated to the elevators, has anybody here seen the roky erickson documentary, 'you're gonna miss me'? it's a mammoth bummer. Roky was scheduled to play the atlanta Drive In-vasion last year with dex romweber. i didn't catch the show, and i'm still kicking myself for it.

Thanks, Neatone. I didn't know that detail. I think you're absolutely right about the use of echo on Stacey's guitar. I always wondered if this was an influence on later guitarists like the Edge, or the guy from Echo and The Bunnymen, in particular.

The Elevators played alot in SF around 1966.

After their hit, "You're Gonna Miss Me", plummeted them to fame durng the summer of 1966, they became quite the popular band in the Bay Area and in many of the local halls, even being promoted by KYA and KFRC Radio in the Bay Area.

I totally dug the tones of those guitars and for years thought that that lead, especially towards the end of the song, along with the harp, was most likely a "Gretsch Tennessean", cause of that Squelty, Squirrel like Beatlish, Clean Hi Fi' reverb Tone!

Now, I think judging from videos, that tone was from a single coil Gibson - P90- ES 330 and the other was an Epiphone 335 like Guitar.

They sure were way ahead of their time!

Last year, was released a beautiful boxset("Sign of the 3 eyed Men" which put things in perspective and gave a complete picture of this band and it's huge influence on rock music(on Syd Barrett's early Pink Floyd and also the San Francisco scene). They were the first psychedelic band in history(1966, coming from Texas!!!). It's interesting to hear the "avorted" first version of "Psychedelic Sounds" lp, sounding very "surf/garage" less polisched than the official version. Nice, stereo and mono mixes.

I was introduced to them courtesy of the Nuggets comp, which is ace

+1 on that.

there's also a great elevators tribute that came out years ago. the ZZ top version of "reverberation" is great (billy gibbons being a fellow texas psych king with his band the moving sidewalks)

Roky Erickson is bona-fide insane. Love this band.

+1 on that.

there's also a great elevators tribute that came out years ago. the ZZ top version of "reverberation" is great (billy gibbons being a fellow texas psych king with his band the moving sidewalks)

– Patrick White

+1 on that.

– bscepter

Damn, The Moving Sidewalks, I forgot all about them. Didn't even know Billy was a part of that. Oh well, I was 10 y.o. living in Houston in '68, what did I know?

....But I did watch The Larry Kane Show every Sat. morning. Not only the Elevators appeared, but the likes of Bubble Puppy, Spirit, The Grass Roots, Kenny Rogers and First Edtion,

Register Sign in to join the conversation