On the 'tube

Gretsch 6118 vs Fender Jazzmaster

Maybe comparing Apples to Oranges but it is a nice video -

No Jazzmaster I've ever played sounds like that.

No Jazzmaster I've ever played sounds like that.

– seadevil

Sounds like my Strat to me.

I thought I was the only one. Maybe it's the amp/settings/box but the two sounded remarkably similar discounting the hollowbody/solidbody air/no-air differences. I still have a Jag/Jazz itch to scratch....

I have a 65 AVRI Jazzmaster in Aztec Gold and the same 6118 but with a Bigsby.They do sit in the same tone "quadrant".I tend to use the Gretsch live and the JM as my backup unless I am doing my surf instrumental thing . My Jazzmaster sounds very much like the demo'd one (same pickups)I got rid of my Strat after getting the JM. It just suits my needs much more.A great complimentary pair of guitars.

I played my '56 6120 with a supervisor on a lazy summer Saturday in a 5 acre warehouse. He had a '61 Jazzmaster and it was the meanest sounding guitar I ever heard. I think the 6120 with DeArmonds was actually trebl-ier, but it was a great match as the JM had the sustain. A very fun memory.

If your Strat sounds like that JM I'd look around for another one. Good Strats don't sound like that, IMHO.

From the intro I was expecting to get suprised by sonic similarities but both guitars sounded as different as they should. Since I assume they were played through the same setup none of them could really shine, though.

The video was also proof to my theory that the Jazzmaster is the guitar model with the biggest sonic discrepancy between new and vintage.

Looks to me like that Jazzmaster is an American Pro version, which has different pickups than the Jazzmasters of yore. To me the current "Pure Vintage" Jazzmaster pickups sound way better than the "V-Mod" pickups in that American Pro model.

If your Strat sounds like that JM I'd look around for another one. Good Strats don't sound like that, IMHO.

From the intro I was expecting to get suprised by sonic similarities but both guitars sounded as different as they should. Since I assume they were played through the same setup none of them could really shine, though.

The video was also proof to my theory that the Jazzmaster is the guitar model with the biggest sonic discrepancy between new and vintage.

– sascha

Please do tell. Pickups? Construction? I'd be very interested in a Jazzmaster with a Gretsch 24.5" neck. Okay, 24.6" neck.

To me it sounds pretty beefy for a Jazzmaster but I almost never play a JM in the middle pickup position. He's doing the same with the 6118.

I'm really wondering what kind of amp he's playing through. DI into his recording box?

Please do tell. Pickups? Construction? I'd be very interested in a Jazzmaster with a Gretsch 24.5" neck. Okay, 24.6" neck.

– lx

It's more "grounded theory" than scientific research and therefore based on what my ears hear. The vintage ones mostly are very balanced, a great sonic mix of wood and metal - and have some amount of midrange which the reissues lack completely. The bridge pickup tends to be overly bright and the neck pu sounds like a mix between a weak strat and a weak Dyna on a good day. Too mid-scooped for me.

This is based on today's view, though. I don't know how a vintage JM sounded when it was new and recording standards have changed too much over the decades (and so have amps). But these days JMs are often used in a different musical context than surf music etc. and there the sonic differences become most obvious, I think. While a good Tele or Strat reissue can get you close to a vintage one soundwise a JM can't (IMO!). That's what I was trying to say.

– lx

I built a Jazzmaster with a 24.75" scale length neck. I found it works well with the bigger body of the Jazzmaster.

In this video I prefer the bridge pickup on the Anniversary and the neck pickup of the Jazzmaster.

That Jazzmaster does not appear to be a Fender American Professional JM either. Even the American Professional JM's still have the vintage style JM vibrato and a modified version of a vintage Mustang bridge. The JM in the video has a TOM style bridge and a Bigsby B5 which would account for some significant tonal differences with a more "Vintage Correct" variation. Of course, the biggest tone changers could be the pu's. The V-Mod JM pu's are basically hot wound Strat pu's in a JM cover; other Fender JM pu's go from accurate reissues of original 60's pu's to what are P-90's in JM pu covers. IMO, it would have been more interesting to compare a nice vintage reissue JM w/ the Anni but it was a good video none the less. I like Darrell Braun's videos in general.

The Jazzmaster with the longer scale is definitely a more open-sounding guitar, lower-output pickups and a different tone than any Gretsch I've ever played. They may be more similar to a Gretsch with HiLo'trons.

Here's mine, an AVRI '62 w/ Novak JM-V pickups

That Jazzmaster does not appear to be a Fender American Professional JM either. Even the American Professional JM's still have the vintage style JM vibrato and a modified version of a vintage Mustang bridge. The JM in the video has a TOM style bridge and a Bigsby B5 which would account for some significant tonal differences with a more "Vintage Correct" variation. Of course, the biggest tone changers could be the pu's. The V-Mod JM pu's are basically hot wound Strat pu's in a JM cover; other Fender JM pu's go from accurate reissues of original 60's pu's to what are P-90's in JM pu covers. IMO, it would have been more interesting to compare a nice vintage reissue JM w/ the Anni but it was a good video none the less. I like Darrell Braun's videos in general.

– Gretschadelphia

The Jazzmaster in the video is an American Special and has the '65 RI pickups, not the V-Mods. So this can't be it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation