On the 'tube

Frampton on a Jet?

Sweet. Wonder if he still has it?

Listening back, I appreciate Humble Pie even more now than I did then - and I liked them at the time.

In some ways they sound more "American" than other Brit blues bands, maybe because of their grooves - which were frequently a little funkier, more laid back, more power-shuffle. Sorta a little like a Brit Allman Bros. A little. Especially if they'd made more of the guitharmonies and less of the blues-harping vocals on cuts like this.

I guess they could group with early (true) Fleetwood Mac and early Wishbone Ash, except that - along with the Creamy meandering and blues-term fetish vocalizing - they're groove-ier.

And kool pix of Tom Petty -- one of the last ever -- of him on a Jet

If you haven't stumbled upon this record you might want a listen. It's all of the final weekend shows at the Fillmore. They were having ground issues on the mic and it is a shocking good time.

I remember "Shine On" well...my brother and I totaled his car during the refrain.

But, then, "I don't need no Doctor" was met with an Ambulance trip to the Hospital for him.

There are a couple YouTubes out there with Frampton playing a Gretsch with Humble Pie.

And then you can really appreciate Marriott's vocals vs. this although it is cool to see these two playing together.

i was heavily into the Pie in the early 70s...the Album Of The Summer at my high school was Rockin' the Fillmore, which got caned at every single party to the exclusion of anything else. listening now Marriott's extended blooze rants get a bit tiresome, but the combination of the twinned guitar leads years before Thin Lizzy and Jerry Shirley's walloping swing on the drums is still pretty mighty. if you like this period of the Pie, check out the early albums that IIRC were on Immediate in the UK, which are quite charmingly ramshackle in a Muswell Hillbillies sort of countrified pub-rock singalong way. i have never in my life seen him with the Duo Jet or any other Gretsch, though i have seen photos of Steve with a Duo Jet in Small Faces.

I wore that album out, too. And it's funny, I don't remember those "blooze rants" (a perfect term) at all - I just remember the guitars, and then instantly recognize the somehow-relaxed mighty swing (though I didn't notice that at the time).

The rants do mar listening pleasure. But Percy's preening keening comes close to ruining some Zeppelin for me, too, and I manage to listen through that. (Plant was always prodigious in technique and innovative, and I'm glad he's had a long productive post-Zeppelin career to hone that instrument. He's been supremely tasteful for decades. Just...not sometimes in Zep. You know.)

it took me ages to realize that the reason that i, unlike apparently just about everyone in my age cohort in the 1970-77 period, didn't love Zeppelin was that Plant's singing bugs me about 80% of the time. when he's great he's wonderful, but when he's not the exaggerated mannerisms sometimes plumb depths lower than end-stage Janis.

on LP the 15-minute Marriott spiels were easily avoidable since they were pressed on sides 2 and 3 of the double album, allowing you to stack sides 1 and 4 with all the tight, punchy stuff and repeat them without ever listening to "Rolling Stone." i still say the live version of "Stone Cold Fever" slays the studio track.

Register Sign in to join the conversation