On the 'tube

Flo & Eddie’s Reggae Version of “Happy Together”

Interesting. Not nearly as good as The Turtles version but hey it's their song so why not?

Wh'appen?? De mon dem naa like Jah music?? Cho --- 'im mus' be a crazy baldhead, seen?

Flo & Eddie did an entire album of reggae entitled "Rock Steady" in 1981 at Bob Marley's Tuff Gong studios with some of the best Jamaican musicians, including Wailers bassist Aston "Family Man" Barrett, Earl "Chinna" Smith, Augustus Pablo and Carlton "Santa" Davis. The whole album is big fun, and being the reggae fan that I am (and having worked with some of those musicians too) "Happy Together" works as well for me as reggae as the original Turtles version.

Go deh!

Wh'appen?? De mon dem naa like Jah music?? Cho --- 'im mus' be a crazy baldhead, seen?

Flo & Eddie did an entire album of reggae entitled "Rock Steady" in 1981 at Bob Marley's Tuff Gong studios with some of the best Jamaican musicians, including Wailers bassist Aston "Family Man" Barrett, Earl "Chinna" Smith, Augustus Pablo and Carlton "Santa" Davis. The whole album is big fun, and being the reggae fan that I am (and having worked with some of those musicians too) "Happy Together" works as well for me as reggae as the original Turtles version.

Go deh!

– Parabar

LOL!

No, I mean it sounds good but just saying it lost some of the feel of the original, but yes of course it's much different than the original. It's good stuff.

My first immersion in reggae was on a trip to the Caribbean around Christmas 1980. Everywhere was playing reggae Christmas Carols and reggae versions of US Top 40 hits --- "Babe" by Styx, "Just One Look" by Doris Troy and Linda Ronstadt, and many others --- plus Bob Marley, Burning Spear, Delroy Wilson, Gregory Isaacs, Dennis Brown and Jacob Miller.

Without exception, I liked the reggae versions better than the originals.

Register Sign in to join the conversation