On the 'tube

Fairport Convention documentary (2017)

For any interested or curious; I stumbled across this recently produced doc on YouTube.

Fairport holds a real sweet spot for me.
I discovered their album Unhalfbricking in my late 20s and quickly fell in love with Sandy Denny's voice as much as Richard Thompson's guitar playing.

In covering the depth of their history and musical journey, this doc includes interviews with surviving band members, as well as contemporaries like Steve Winwood, Rick Wakeman, and Ian Anderson.

.. not enough can be said about Sandy Denny. She was one of a kind.

It's astonishing to consider she's been gone over 40 years now.

Thanks. This answers some queries I have had about this band and genre.

Strawbs and Fairport Convention both were in that British Folk mix, along with some periods of Winwood/Traffic and Family. All very interesting.

Richard Thompson seems to be the lone, regularly touring, survivor of the genre...

Sandy's voice was perfect for it.

I met Sandy but I was only six months old, she was good friends with my Dad.

Great doc. Liege& Leif is a top 10 desert island album for me.I have had a thing for Sandy Denny’s voice since I first heard her singing The Battle Of Evermore on the Zep IV album in the early 70s. Sublime..

I've gotten to see Fairport a few times and they were always great. I first fell for hollowbodies seeing the ES175 Simon Nichol was holding on the American cover of Unhalfbricking. Looking forward to the doc. Thanks for posting.

There is an undefinable and inviting vibe to the folk and roots-psych music coming from the UK from the late 1960s into the mid 70s. Nick Drake, Bill Fay, The Incredible String Band, Jethro Tull, Kevin Ayers, so much that wasn't strong on the pop radar back then (except maybe Tull), but has endured well nonetheless. Even bands like Gong still hold a real charm for me.

I missed a chance to see Richard Thompson perform live at a nearby venue earlier this year.
I was too busy to make the time, probably could have swung it if had planned ahead better.

Regretful, as it's an intimate room with great sound, one of my favorites for seeing live acts.
Space/Evanston is also about a mile from my home.

Jethro Tull's "Benefit" seemed to match the Folk influence while having a biting Rock riff in there somewhere...the earlier albums not so much for me, and the ones after clearly more commercial.

The Flute always added a Medieval Faire Pagan thing...as well as Ian dancing around in tights. I always imagined Knights in Armor.

That's wild I just watched that last week — really good interviews in my opinion and a well told story (one that's pretty complex, so not realliy easy to tell). I learned a lot, and I also liked where they cut back and forth a bit between old and new performances of the same song. Intriguing to see Simon played an ES 175!

Liege and Lief has been in my playlist for many years.

Some of what's so compelling for me about the music being made, back there and then, is how experimental and undefinable much of it was. Only in hindsight could some of it be considered more 'prog' or 'folk'. So many bands and songwriters were just finding their feet then. Most of those that survived leaned into something that worked for them in the long run (Tull being one example).

On that point, one of my favorite albums from that specific era is Genesis' first release; From Genesis to Revelations.

It's not at all 'progressive rock', or even comparable in any way to the bands' later output. Nor is it straight roots or regional folk. The Band members themselves later dismissed it as a naive pastiche of chamber pop, but for all its naivete' (Peter Gabriel was only 17), it's a real chestnut full of ambitious original music with a rich bucolic British flavor.
Very dated listening, but delightfully so.

I'm a Richard Thompson fan.... enjoyed this. Thanks!

Register Sign in to join the conversation