On the 'tube

Early Led Zeppelin Ledly Zeppellating on Danish TV, 3/69

Wizardry, warts, and all. Naked Telecaster action.

I was just watching this (again) the other night. One of the things that has led me to understand that in my search for "my fuzz", I'm more of a Tonebender guy than a Muff man.

Tonebenders are magical devices. A Muff does what a Muff does (a little more or less, and with more or less of this frequency emphasis or that one).

But 'benders are wildly versatile, with a surprising range of engrossingly textured voices, all under your volume and tone knobs. And the knobs on the pedal - but especially on modern builds that virtually nail the original behavior and range, and also add and enhance. My favorites are Ramble FX's Twin Bender and Basic Audio's Scarab Deluxe.

I like that kind of stage set up. Reminds me when things were simpler.

Once the 70's came along everything went big time for Sound Reinforcement, especially PA systems.

And everyone just sitting there, listening, not yelling inane nonsense at inappropriate times. Or shrill-whistling, which for someone like me with tinnitus, is excruciating.

Tonebenders are magical devices. A Muff does what a Muff does (a little more or less, and with more or less of this frequency emphasis or that one).

But 'benders are wildly versatile, with a surprising range of engrossingly textured voices, all under your volume and tone knobs. And the knobs on the pedal - but especially on modern builds that virtually nail the original behavior and range, and also add and enhance. My favorites are Ramble FX's Twin Bender and Basic Audio's Scarab Deluxe.

– Proteus

I'll add those two to my long and growing list of fuzzes to try.

Oh man! This is awesome! Thanks Tim, I really enjoyed this early Zeppelin video.

During my giggling years, I was called "Wade Zeppelin" because I played a large amount of the Zeppelin catalog with an obsession. I absolutely love playing Led Zeppelin tunes!

My brother David comes over every Sunday afternoon, and we play Led Zeppelin songs. David is a very accomplished bassist, and uses my Fender Precision Bass with flatwound strings on it. We are polishing up " The Rain Song" right now, and it's magic. The guitar and bass on The Rain Song interweave with each other, in what can only be called a masterful composition. There really is a "magic wizardry" to it, and all Zeppelin tunes.

Our goal is to nail down several sets of Zeppelin tunes, spot on to the original recordings, and add a drummer and lead vocalist and gig as a tribute band. Led Zeppelin was the sound of the 70's, and they just don't write them like that anymore!

Register Sign in to join the conversation