On the 'tube

Dokken “In My Dreams”

Used to listen to this song all the time way back when -

Well, this was a topic I NEVER expected to see on the GDP, lol.

This was MY music growing up, my era. I loved Lynch, and my band played several Dokken tunes. They were one of the better "hair bands", too bad Don and George couldn't keep it together enough to get along.

I modern times, I don't listen to Dokken anymore unless it pops up on SiriusXM. I do still listen to Bon Jovi and Cinderella occasionally, but the rest of them, I only listen to in passing on satellite radio. Despite all the fun that is made of that era, it was MEGA fun, there were some stellar players and great songs (and alot of cheese, just like ALL eras of music.)

I still listen to some guitar players (instrumentalists) from that era: Steve Vai, Satriani, Yngwie, and actually Andy Timmons from Danger Danger has put out some STELLAR stuff, I mean really really musical, the dude is a crazy good player, not just technically, his 2 albums "Revolution" and "Theme From A Perfect World" are amazing.

That is still to this day one of my favorite songs to come out of the 80's. Good times.

Good to know others liked this music too. I was never a one kind of music guy tho. I would say Dokken, Ratt and music like that was not really Heavy Metal or at least not Heavy Heavy Metal but more of Pop Metal and to me whatever song sounded good I'd listen too. I did like a bit of Priest, Maiden and Saxon which was real Heavy Metal. But at the same time in the early '80s I loved rockabilly and Doo Wop which could not be any further away from Metal. Thank you KRTH K-Earth 101 for introducing me to rockabilly, Doo Wop and surf and instrumental. I liked some classic rock like Bowie, Queen, The Kinks and the like. But I was a New Romantic who was into so-called New Wave, either American or the UK which was very different. Also just pop rock.

So Pop Metal like Dokken and Ratt was part of the Sound Track of my life. Oh I loved Stryper. Amazing band.

That is still to this day one of my favorite songs to come out of the 80's. Good times.

– Enis Penvy

"Paris Is Burning" is probably my favorite Dokken song. Amazing song as well as "Breaking the Chains". The list goes on.

Don't forget The Hunter. I used to love learning George's stuff. He had a style all his own. I grew up an only child in the middle of nowhere. No internet no cell phones. Just six strings, a few albums and cassette tapes and a lot of spare time.

This was my first “real” guitar. I bought it in 1991 or 1992 during the Lynch Mob days. I’ve bought, sold, and traded a ton of guitars over the years, but have always hung onto this one.

Don't forget The Hunter. I used to love learning George's stuff. He had a style all his own. I grew up an only child in the middle of nowhere. No internet no cell phones. Just six strings, a few albums and cassette tapes and a lot of spare time.

– Enis Penvy

The Hunter is George's favorite guitar TONE of mine. I remember reading back in the day, they had like 14 cabs mic'ed up, and blended them all together to get that huge tone (along with doubling and tripling the parts).

Also, I resemble the rest of your post as well. A few buddies, a couple guitars, alot of bedroom woodshedding after school playing to albums, a rag-tag first garage band.... good times. The BEST times.

Into the fire is my favorite.

While I’m delivering mail, Dokken and many other metal bands are on my iPod. I like other genres too. I’m all over the place.

Me too. I listen to everything from early Louis Armstrong to BB King to SRV to Johnny Smith to Ben Webster to Lester Young to Charlie Christian to T-Bone Walker to Glen Miller to Benny Goodman to Elvis to Kenny Burrell to bluegrass to old school country to outlaw country (NO bro country!), to Led Zeppelin to Van Halen to Toto to Bon Jovi to Tab Benoit to Jonny Lang to Tommy Emmanuel to Al Petteway to Yngwie Malmsteen to Django to Steve Vai to Georgia Satellites to Brian Setzer to Keith Urban (only the early stuff!), to ZZ Top to Willie & Waylon, to native American flute, to classical, to Billie Holiday, to Etta James to.... to... I'm tired.....

“Just Got Lucky” was/is my favorite Dokken tune, but “Alone Again” was one of the first songs you had to know the intro riff to when you and your buddies got your first guitars in 8th grade, circa 1985. Other required intros were “Too Fast For Love” (Motley Crue), “Rock You Like A Hurricane “, “Tom Sawyer”, “Breaking The Law”, and “Midnite Maniac” by Krokus. Bonus points were given for the intro to “More Than A Feeling” by Boston.

You forgot the riff to "Crazy Train"!

Man! This thread sure brings back the memories. Damn I'm old.

Ruger, You're right about Andy Timmons. Stellar player and one heck of a guy,too.

Yes. “Crazy Train”! The Trooper” by Iron Maiden; of course, “Iron Man” and “Paranoid” by Sabbath, and “Whole Lotta Love” by Led Zep.

Register Sign in to join the conversation