On the 'tube

Dire Straits At Live Aid

Always enjoyed this Live Aid performance of Sultans of Swing -

What is the drummer playing?

– Curt Wilson

You mean what brand drums? It says Ludwig on it.

You mean what brand drums? It says Ludwig on it.

– ThePolecats

Maybe its that they are way out in front on the mix but it sounds way too busy and predictable to me.

Man, they were on fire! That drummer has huge toms. almost like a bunch of mounted floor toms.

I don’t know, but Mark Knopfler is the sh$t!

One day I will solo in Dm the way he does!

Maybe its that they are way out in front on the mix but it sounds way too busy and predictable to me.

– Curt Wilson

I love drumming but don’t know enough about drumming to notice what you are taking about. Great overall show.

With all due respect it's pretty easy to 'predict' the next move of a 34 year old performance. I'm not trying to be an a-hole, but we live in different times now. The song is even older than this performance (almost 10 years older) so we've probably seen a goodly number of the myriad variations each member can play without departing too much from what the fans know.

Every decade in musical history can be, in it's own way, deemed as groundbreaking, but over 30 years later it's bound to sound a little tired.

I listened to it again but more carefully and now know what Curt means. I wasn’t paying too close attention to the drumming before he mentioned it. Was really just concentrating on the guitars. Seems like the drummer might have just been getting carried away a bit.

I still can't figure out why Chet never awarded Mark a CGP.

Refreshing to hear some the same licks as usual with different chords at the end.

when i think "Live Aid" all i think of is Queen.

I've always been a big fan of Mark Knopfler. This song is a wonderful composition in a number of respects. I used to play and sing this one in a band that I used to be in. The fills are such that they keep you pretty busy between vocal lines. The hardest part of the song for me was trying to remember what the next vocal line would be following the fill that I played. We didn't get a chance to play it too many times before the band went south, but I certainly did have some fun on those times when we did play it.

By the way this guy is all about Knopfler if you are interested -

Love that song and the LP. Its one of those recordings that takes me right back in time. I saw Knopfler a few years ago at the Greek in L.A., he was doing an old timey country thing, He is quite the talented Guitarist. Seems humble as well.

Register Sign in to join the conversation