On the 'tube

Demonstrating the Power of the Will to Live

This guy went superhuman when it was required.

There would likely have been a spot in my pants before landing, if it were me. WOW!

Aye,just seen that today myself!

Motivated?

Depends.

Wear them?

I will if I ever go hang gliding!

As John Berman, of CNN, pointed out this morning; "The pilot failed to hook up his passengers safety harness, but did, at least, remember to start the video camera".

I suppose that another question that could be asked was why the unharnessed passenger didn't drop immediately when he first noticed it from perhaps fifteen or twenty feet? Might he have broken a bone or two? Sure. But, he would most likely have lived. He is very fortunate to have survived this little misadventure.

I understood why the pilot didn't try to set it down a bit later when he started flying over the forest. But, it seems to me that the passenger could have immediately bailed. I suppose that we think about these things only with hindsight.

Hang gliding has been on my bucket list. Maybe I should rethink that.

. I went hang gliding once. You get instructions on how handle the glider. Watching the instructor land reminded me of everyone watching and cringing as one guy did the opposite of what he was supposed to do to slow down. Everybody was standing there protecting their jewels as he bounced down the hill. He was okay but guarantee he never forgot.

As John Berman, of CNN, pointed out this morning; "The pilot failed to hook up his passengers safety harness, but did, at least, remember to start the video camera".

– JW

Well, I'm glad he had his priorities straight. Saw this story on the news yesterday.

Last time he’ll be taking anyone on a little jaunt for a very long time.

I spent a week in Switzerland this last summer. We saw hang gliders and paragliders all over the place.

I wonder if the people who could not quite hold on invented yodeling.

I understood why the pilot didn't try to set it down a bit later when he started flying over the forest. But, it seems to me that the passenger could have immediately bailed. I suppose that we think about these things only with hindsight. Says Bob

I agree but panic probably struck so fast,he didn't have time to react. I was surprised at how well he took it in the video explanation. Many people would sue their asses off.

"Only a total idiot jumps out of a perfectly good aircraft."---USAF Motto.

I think that sentiment applies here as well.

Anyone need a job as a hang gliding instructor? I'd bet there's an opening. The poor victim in this case has serious injuries, including a torn bicep, likely from maintaining a death grip. Not hooking him up properly is reprehensible. I'd think a lawsuit was in the works.

"Coming in Hot", that was an apt description of that landing! What an out of control ride that was!

"Only a total idiot jumps out of a perfectly good aircraft."---USAF Motto. wabash slim

"DEATH FROM ABOVE"! 82nd Airborne Moto

As a former Airborne soldier (with 93 jumps logged), I can attest that jumping from an aircraft the first time is only slightly idiotic. It is, after all, the fastest (reasonably safe) way to the ground! Military parachutes are rather small, to avoid a long hang time, so you hit the ground surprisingly hard. The first jump is the easiest, after that, you know the deal. True idiocy is continuing jump after learning that "Gravity is a bitch"!

Gravity isn't just a good idea---it's the law!

I had one uncle in the 82nd in WWII, and another in the 101th. Made for lively discussions around the table.

I tried to watch this - I mean, I REALLY tried - but I felt my anal nerve going around 30 seconds in so I bailed and went and did something mundane to try to forget how the whole thing started.

Did I read that right, this was the guy's first hang gliding experience? So no experience means you are totally in the hands of whoever is is charge. The fact that whoever was in charge forgot to hook the poor guy up is pretty reprehensible. He should lose his licence for good.

I'm guessing it had at least a partially happy outcome, but I still somehow can't bring myself to hit the play button again...

Register Sign in to join the conversation