On the 'tube

Chinese Bluegrass

I like it! Maybe up in a Yukon goldrush town or Californian railway camp it really happened.

How do you say "Yeeeee -haaaaa" in Mandarin or Cantonese?

That actually works pretty well. I likey!

That actually works pretty well. I likey!

Very cool. In the context of the focus and articulation of the Chinese instruments, the guitar sounds pretty insipid. The mando and the banjo hold up pretty well.

I have a thing for Chinese and Mongolian stringed instruments. Wish the girl on the left had played that sittin'-down thing in front of her. Those sound amazing.

(Not enough of a thing to learn the names of the instruments, though.)

They's a whole lotta plinkin' & plonkin' goin on there; the Chinese instruments fit right in. The only one I know the name of is the pipa, pronounced pee-pa. That'd be the teardrop shaped one. The one with the long neck and small round body looks like a Japanese shamisen, but there is most likely a Chinese equivalent.

I imagine this would be akin to poking at a hornets nest for a lot of bluegrass traditionalists, especially in the context of the current trad VS modern bluegrass debate, but that's probably one pot that needs to be stirred.

Just goes to show ya that the banjo belongs to the world. I'm thinking of that fretless banjoid type instrument. It looked like an old-timey fretless banjo to me.

Just goes to show ya that the banjo belongs to the world. I'm thinking of that fretless banjoid type instrument. It looked like an old-timey fretless banjo to me.

– Jim Krause

Well, the fretless banjo was one of the original instruments used in bluegrass.

Register Sign in to join the conversation