On the 'tube

Charlie Christian L-50

This guitar the player had the pickup added. Was not original.

For some reason of all the Charlie Christian guitars I've seen and heard on The Tube I like this one best.

I've never even heard of an L50, and I've been researching CC lately, even have the ONE book that written about him...

That looks like an ES-125 with the CC pickup from an ES-150...

I never heard of it before but it does look like an ES-150. There is an L-50 on Reverb right now.

https://reverb.com/p/gibson...

ruger you have been researching CC guitars lately. Does this mean you are in the market for one?

The L50 (and L48)is a entry model solid top arch top made from the late 30s all the way to the 60s. the difference between it and the higher end models is the end of the fingerboard is attached directly to the top (no "tongue" extension" I've always thought these would make great CC conversions

Definitely agree Paul, and this is not the first one I've seen either. The hard part for me would be committing to cutting the top on a 70-year-old instrument. I have a 52 L7CN that would just be a complete Hank Garland special with a CC but I can't bring myself to do it.

Definitely agree Paul, and this is not the first one I've seen either. The hard part for me would be committing to cutting the top on a 70-year-old instrument. I have a 52 L7CN that would just be a complete Hank Garland special with a CC but I can't bring myself to do it.

– spike

Agreed, especially if the operation goes wrong and the guitar is ruined in the process. But if it's a good job like the guy has in the above video maybe it's okay. It's not like someone put in a humbucker.

Agreed- I'm all for modding, if it means it makes it the guitar you WANT TO PLAY. To hell with "vintage" and "value"... are you a collector, or a player? I think turning an L-50 into an ES-150 is a swell idea, and ditto turning L7 into a Hank Garland special!

Frankly, CC-ing an L50 would probably RAISE it's value to anyone who would actually PLAY it. It's not like we're taking a nice ES-150 and putting a Duncan Distortion in it.

Also a Godin Kingpin might be a good one to mod with a CC pickup. Especially a used one.

How about slap them into a package and send them over to my house? :)

Jonath, how and where did you get that?

What is the guitar with the staple magnet pickups???

The L50 (and L48)is a entry model solid top arch top made from the late 30s all the way to the 60s. the difference between it and the higher end models is the end of the fingerboard is attached directly to the top (no "tongue" extension" I've always thought these would make great CC conversions

– paul pigat

And the ES-150, at least the early one, has the same neck attachment, right?

Hmmm, CC pickup, add neck binding, Bob's yer uncle. Looking on eBay, there are lots of dreamers asking for $2500 or more, but sold listings tell a different story. More like $1000-$1250.

If I could play jazz worth half a shit, I'd be hatching a serious plan right now.

Jonath, how and where did you get that?

What is the guitar with the staple magnet pickups???

– ThePolecats

The CC pickup I bought off of eBay some time ago. The Bigsby pickup is something I made out of covers that P.A. had cast (left over when McCarty bought Bigsby), and some parts I had laying around. The guitar with staples is a '57 Byrdland.

This guitar the player had the pickup added. Was not original.

For some reason of all the Charlie Christian guitars I've seen and heard on The Tube I like this one best.

– ThePolecats

I agree that guitar sounds wonderful. It has, what is to me, the definitive jazz tone.

I also agree with Ruger9. If a player mods a seventy year old guitar to make it his or her dream axe, have at it.

It sounds great, but I don't know. If it's a pre-war L50, there'd be no way I'd add a pickup to it, despite the fact that L50s were low end guitars (the post war ones - weeeeeelllll.........maybe). Besides, not only do I have a Country Club, but I also have an ES-135, which would be extra strikes against me doing the dirty deed.

When I bought this beautiful 39' synchromatic 400 it already had a 70s jazz pickup installed.

I had curt install this killer CC pickup (lollar).

It looks as great as it sounds.

Sweet ride, Fred.

Sweet ride, Fred.

– spike

Register Sign in to join the conversation