On the 'tube

Censorship & music

I'm betting this one will end up locked, too, but I do want to point out that only the government can censor you, since only the government can violate your right to free speech. The rest is just community standards (for whatever community, and whoever decides the standards).

In this case, it's this community, and me and together there was a pretty clear consensus that that thread, no matter how it was intended, ended up pretty clearly violating the "no politics" rule and should be locked.

And I don't have a lot of patience for revisiting that decision, either.

Like most forum members, I'm here because I identify as a musician with an affinity for the Gretsch brand. Seriously, they actually took a branding iron to my guitar. So, thanks for having me on the team. From those similarities, our differences grow. Thank goodness! This would be a very boring place if there weren't people telling me to stop putting Lemon Pledge on the guitar I recently finished with fifteen coats of poly. Music is an art. Music is a business. Music is a tool. Music is communication. Music is aural and not available to all. Those that can and do partake, will choose to like or dislike what they hear. The reasons will be vastly different, but personal. Music is never censored. It is ignored, because it does not produce a positive experience for the listener. Probably the reason my music stays within the confines of my home. Keep playing and keep listening. It will never please everyone. Yay team!

I always thought that the strength of this forum lay in the fact that it was self-governing. That's not to say there isn't a Governor, because there is, but, as much as possible, he has a policy of non-intervention. It's only when self-government spirals out of control into unresolved controversy and chaos that the Governor rarely exercises the casting vote. That's as good as it gets in a democracy. No-one said it was a perfect system. Now let's get back to mutual love of music and guitars.

I haven't been here very long, I joined this community in March of this year. I was one of the most uneducated people, on the item that is the foundation of this forum, Gretsch Guitars.

What I saw right away, is that this is a place of reasonable people, who allow for dignified growth. I've seen extremely little discourse among the members, that can be so rampant on other cyber forums. This is why I feel so comfortable here, and why I (and probably many of us) stay in this unique community.

I for one am pleased that Baxter has set reasonable boundaries. I've seen the results, on other forums, where no boundaries are set. They become poisonous, hostile environments very quickly. While I didn't see the offending post, I can only imagine that it was the reaction in the comments, that caused Baxter to lock the thread.

I learned a couple of hard lessons long ago that I hold dear. There are two things that can be hopeless to try to change in the average adult, attempting to do so is usually a recipe for disaster. These are their Political Views and Religious Beliefs. They are things that are very personal, and in today's world, can rarely be discussed by opposing sides reasonably. Therefore it is often wise to place them out of bounds.

I'm betting this one will end up locked, too, but I do want to point out that only the government can censor you, since only the government can violate your right to free speech. The rest is just community standards (for whatever community, and whoever decides the standards).

In this case, it's this community, and me and together there was a pretty clear consensus that that thread, no matter how it was intended, ended up pretty clearly violating the "no politics" rule and should be locked.

And I don't have a lot of patience for revisiting that decision, either.

– Baxter

Thanks Baxter.

When people use The Gretsch pages to promote their Alex Jones agenda we lose.

Seriously, enough of the bullshit. Songs promoting racism are not likely to go down well either, it's not censorship it's decency. Not everyone wants to look at dog shit when they come to the Gretsch Pages.

I actually remember when there was free speech. Skin was far thicker back then. Differing opinions were usually tolerated, if not encouraged outright. The only thing was that you couldn't yell, "Theater!" at a crowded fire. I guess as you get older, you start remembering the 'good times', huh?

We still have free speech. And free speech, as mentioned in the Constitution is about the government cannot stifle free speech. Websites, the media, are not required to promote or condone speech.

We still have the "good times" and disgusting speech is still legal, but free speech does not mean you can post whatever you want wherever you want.

And racists and hate speech is typically banned, thus Alex Jones was booted from Twitter, Facebook, etc. He still spews his ignorance and hate, so his "free speech" right has not been impaired. But owners of social media and things like websites are within their right to not provide a platform to those they deem hate, racist, etc speech.

edit: I'll add Baxter locks threads when they go off the rails, when he does that he is not stifling free speech, he owns this site and has the right to delete/lock any comments he deems unworthy. That is his right and in no way stifles anyone's right to free speech.

People would do well to understand what free speech is and is not.

Come in my living room and start spouting Alex Jones nonsense and you'll be thrown out pretty quick. But you still have the right to stand on the sidewalk and spew your hate all day long, or spew it in your own living room

IMO we have as much free speech as ever - more, even. With the internet, we can always find a place to say what we want to say. We never could say everything we wanted to say everywhere.

It's already been alluded to above, but one thing that we all should recall is that my rights end precisely at the line where they begin to affect your rights.

Unfortunately, folks like Jones are often more than happy to ignore my rights in their zeal to proclaim their own.

In light of a couple individuals pitching a fit over a song I posted of my band competing in a contest for a radio show, I’m curious where people drawn the line with music?
I do understand why Baxter locked my thread, some folks just can’t control themselves and let something pass by without posting/ ranting with some moral outrage.

The song my band performed was by modern standards, on the gentler side of rock rebellion.

So my question is, where do you draw the line with music/ entertainment?

“Beat on the Brat With a Bassball Bat?”

“God Save The Queen?”

“Holiday In Cambodia?”

“Sympathy For The Devil?”

“Los Angeles?”

Or most Hip Hop/ Rap songs?

The video of my band has well over 18,000 views and zero negative comments.

Are folks really that sensitive on this site?

I’ve been a member here for over 10 years and I’ve seen many petty squabbles over the years.

Hell the white piping on a guitar case comes to mind.

18,000 views and not one negative comment until I post it here!

I’ll leave you with this: Remember when Elvis Costello got kicked off of SNL for this performance? Seems pretty silly now doesn’t it?

– Hipbone

None of the artists you mentioned glorify hate, racism, conspiracy theories, or encourage violence like your pal Alex Jones does. The guy you wrote the ode to.

You’re “I’m a victim” rings hollow and it’s insulting

Some folks are funny. I didn’t intend for my quirky little tune to cause a stink. I was just proud and honestly a little amazed that it received that many views. One thing is clear, we have changed as a country as a people. We are quick to shut down what we don’t like.

And worst of all we are quick to say, that We are right and others are wrong.
You have made this a political statement and yes this will get shut down be proud you little protesting snowflakes.

yes this will get shut down be proud you little protesting snowflakes.

You're right.

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.