On the 'tube

Censorship & music

In light of a couple individuals pitching a fit over a song I posted of my band competing in a contest for a radio show, I’m curious where people drawn the line with music?
I do understand why Baxter locked my thread, some folks just can’t control themselves and let something pass by without posting/ ranting with some moral outrage.

The song my band performed was by modern standards, on the gentler side of rock rebellion.

So my question is, where do you draw the line with music/ entertainment?

“Beat on the Brat With a Bassball Bat?”

“God Save The Queen?”

“Holiday In Cambodia?”

“Sympathy For The Devil?”

“Los Angeles?”

Or most Hip Hop/ Rap songs?

The video of my band has well over 18,000 views and zero negative comments.

Are folks really that sensitive on this site?

I’ve been a member here for over 10 years and I’ve seen many petty squabbles over the years.

Hell the white piping on a guitar case comes to mind.

18,000 views and not one negative comment until I post it here!

I’ll leave you with this: Remember when Elvis Costello got kicked off of SNL for this performance? Seems pretty silly now doesn’t it?

The fashion police have spoken and the ultra hip are offended.

Rebellion only works if you’re on the cool kids team. I have no team, I liked the music and couldn’t tell you what the lyrics were.

The fashion police are everywhere.

I have a fun little saying that I tell my wife on the rare occasion that we get into a squabble...

“I’m not the enemy”

I’m just here having some fun and learning as I pass through this life...

My wife and I have never had a fight in 34 years, sure we discuss things but it’s always with a smile and it’s all about the interpersonal words that are used which is the opposite of lyrics.

I don’t watch the news and I don’t let google tell me how to think. I get the newspaper so I can light my fireplace. Being teamless alloys the freedom of not having to worry about how other team members will think of me after I make a statement that isn’t in my teams playbook.

Lighten up Francis, there’s a lot of living left to do.

I like that philosophy Curt. I think it’s important to take a look out your front door and have that be the barometer on if it’s going to be a good day. I recently got a wood stove and that news paper does come in handy.

Just because you don't like something, it doesn't mean that everyone else should follow your views. I'm an adult, and I can decide for myself what I like. I take it as a personal affront when someone censors something. Who appointed you the arbiter of taste? If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Simple. But you DO NOT get to make decisions for me. I can understand if there are small children around, and I'm a proponent of proper time and place, but, we're all adults here, and can think things out for ourselves.

As the old adage goes, if you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all.

What little I could hear clearly of the song lyrics I took with a grain of salt as I don't subscribe to orthodox or unorthodox religion. As to the extremism of the sponsor (AJ), the penny didn't drop until I started remembering his abhorrent YT rants much, much later. Needless to say, any well-balanced person would dissociate him/herself from them. On the subject of bombs threatened or delivered in response to whatever (?) as Bax reveals, I was totally ignorant of it when I simply commented on a half-heard song. My advice is just don't worry about it, Hipbone. We're not easily-indoctrinated children around here, are we? Unfortunately, the downside of democracy is that social hatred can exist; the upside is not subscribing to it. It only serves to drive any rational person in the opposite direction. Take heart, Hipbone.

I didn't hear the song and missed the post before it was locked... but I can't think of many political songs that really communicate any meaningful political insights. (some are quiet witty though) That's just me - i don't like modern political music. I guess political views are something I'd rather digest from subject experts.

Completely understand why Baxter would want to take action though, Ive witnessed a couple threads spin out o control but in general not on this forum

I'm not sure why people are so easily offended though. And its not the behaviour or intent that i am finding people are offended at. They are more offended if anything challenges the zeitgeist of the day. So you can make the most iflamitory and discrimantory remarks and it is acceptable as long as it is directed at the appropriate people, race, gender, religion etc

When i was a kid it was the behavior that made the equation unacceptable now it is dependant on the the variables within the equation

I think people ought to stop misusing the term 'censorship'.

I'd be happy to be educated about this

I'll explain how I perceived this. Feel free to explain to me if I was wrong. I have no problem admitting I'm wrong if that's the case. I was perceiving it with the knowledge I had. It was a performance for a contest in a radio show.

There were 4 fellows wearing blatantly politically affiliated shirts They started singing a song about the eating christian babies?? and how Hilary Clinton was ugly and smelly. At that point I thought "What the hell is this??" I like dark humour as much as the next guy but it looked like a Trump rally in progress.

That's fine if you like that sort of thing but it would be undeniably political and obviously inflammatory. Also it would clearly offend those who weren't in agreement.

If so that would seem to be contrary to what this place is about and given the political climate in the states for the past year or so It would seem a subject that would be best avoided.

That was my interpretation based upon the knowledge I had.

That is why I asked if the song was self satire, or if it was serious. I didn't get a response Somebody mentioned it was for Alex Jones show?? Right? wrong?

I looked that up and he looked to be a deliberately inflammatory and frankly disturbing individual.

Was this a complete joke? With no political leanings or agenda? Were you satirizing this Alex Jones guy? Were you satirizing the extreme right or something?? I'm guessing.

I like well done satire, but if so, I think setting it up more clearly would've been a good idea to avoid misinterpretation, especially when it was about extreme subjects and you obviously did such a great job at seeming sincere in the delivery and presentation.

In participating in the contest we wrote a jingle to words that Alex Jones has used on his radio talk show. Alex Jones put together the words, we turned them Into lyrics. We sang The song with light hearts and a sense of humor. The ghastly idea that Hillary and Obama smell like sulfur, is really that offensive? WTF?

Has anyone watched SNL lately?

“You looked up Alex Jones and he seemed to be inflammatory?”

Why make Inflammatory comments on a man your not even familiar with?

Why make inflammatory comments on my post when you know it will be locked down?

What was the nature of our performance or satire? It was a chance to win 10k and it was a topic we sunk our Creative teeth into. We chose the comedic route, did you notice the humor in our performance? We are a rock band.... did you notice the banjo?

Well I'm not trying to argue with you. I was trying to explain how it could easily be perceived, and I was seeking clarification. I think if you're putting up something that could possibly offend other people on the forum, setting it up properly so it doesn't is helpful.

I had no idea you were a rock band, I saw the banjo, it was front and center.

I've not watched TV , nor Saturday Night Live for many many years. It was too hard to find anything worth watching.

I see that it was unwise to ask further about it or seek clarification.

My apologies for doing so and best of luck.

“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” - George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings

I think people ought to stop misusing the term 'censorship'.

– Strummerson

Okay so the thread was locked not eliminated, good point.

What I don’t understand is that when it suits people then music is art so the boundaries change.

Isn’t this the control Tipper Gore was looking for? Is this the narrow path we all have to follow?

Once again I have no idea what the lyrics are, does it matter? It shouldn’t because it’s art. When The Rolling Stones said “black girls just want to get f ucked all night”, David Bromberg said “I want that faggot dead” or the many other lines that some may find offensive are heard on the radio regularly.

I’m shocked that this is even a thing and a bit hypocritical.

"Also it would clearly offend those who weren't in agreement."

Ah, so you should only express your views if everyone in attendance is in agreement? Seriously Toxophoney, you are the biggest snowflake on this forum. A guy can't even post a Ted Nugent video without you laying down a political rant. And like a snowflake, you edited your post when somebody put you in your place. Snowflake.

I'd be happy to be educated about this

I'll explain how I perceived this. Feel free to explain to me if I was wrong. I have no problem admitting I'm wrong if that's the case. I was perceiving it with the knowledge I had. It was a performance for a contest in a radio show.

There were 4 fellows wearing blatantly politically affiliated shirts They started singing a song about the eating christian babies?? and how Hilary Clinton was ugly and smelly. At that point I thought "What the hell is this??" I like dark humour as much as the next guy but it looked like a Trump rally in progress.

That's fine if you like that sort of thing but it would be undeniably political and obviously inflammatory. Also it would clearly offend those who weren't in agreement.

If so that would seem to be contrary to what this place is about and given the political climate in the states for the past year or so It would seem a subject that would be best avoided.

That was my interpretation based upon the knowledge I had.

That is why I asked if the song was self satire, or if it was serious. I didn't get a response Somebody mentioned it was for Alex Jones show?? Right? wrong?

I looked that up and he looked to be a deliberately inflammatory and frankly disturbing individual.

Was this a complete joke? With no political leanings or agenda? Were you satirizing this Alex Jones guy? Were you satirizing the extreme right or something?? I'm guessing.

I like well done satire, but if so, I think setting it up more clearly would've been a good idea to avoid misinterpretation, especially when it was about extreme subjects and you obviously did such a great job at seeming sincere in the delivery and presentation.

– Toxophilite

Educate yourself...

If the song (lyrics) were political in nature, that's why. Bax recently issued a "no political discussion" order... not strict, but those threads ALWAYS get out of control, so now he locks them down as soon as he sees them.

Frankly, I think the forum is better for it. I'm anti-censorship, BUT.... I'm also for a PRIVATELY-OWNED site to be allowed to do whatever it wants. My only beef is, you either censor EVERYTHING, or nothing. Don't just censor stuff YOU don;t agree with (like Youtube and Facebook and Twitter have been doing).

I'm glad the political discussion isn;t here anymore. Minds aren't changed by heated, anonymous, internet arguments anyway... especially in this day & age of "my team is right and your team is wrong, and there's no middle ground."

And never forget The Replacements getting kicked off SNL, "Kiss Me On the Bus (Butt).

As a psychologist girlfriend use to tell me when she did something that pissed me off: "I can't make you mad, you choose to be mad" (which would piss me off even more).

She was right, though. We control our emotions, such as deciding to be mad or offended.

And never forget The Replacements getting kicked off SNL, "Kiss Me On the Bus (Butt).

– Curt Wilson

I love that Bob is wearing culottes.

I'm offended by the offended.

Do we really need to stoop to name calling?

Do we really need to stoop to name calling?

– Suprdave

I'm short. It just looks like I'm stooping.

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.