On the 'tube

Best Version Of “Hey Joe”???

I think these guys do an outstanding version of "Hey Joe". Is it the best other than Hendrix? Hard to say but what do you think.

That gentleman is only celebrating his seventieth birthday. For many of us, that isn't that many years off. I hope that I move about more agile than he on my 70th. Much respect to the gent for still getting out and playing.

As for the original question, usually the original is the best for me, although I did quite like Jimi's version.

True Ric, Hendrix was not the original but he made it "his" and that is my standard. I do think the video above that I posted of the 70 year old man is a great version and a good job after Hendrix.

Interesting, "Purple Haze" at a The smiths soundcheck in Glasgow. Not sure if both Marr and Gannon are on it or just one of them since it is a sound check not the actual show.

This is the best one I've seen/heard in a long time (really gets going about a minute in):

The Tim Rose version was the first I remember, but I still think Jimi's is by far the best.

Incidentally, concerning performing at age 70-plus: we did a gig with Mike Pender's Searchers last Saturday. Mike is now 76 and still sounds good doing a 75-minute show that includes all those Searchers hits. He's a really nice guy, too.

Willy DeVille, is by far my favourite version.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/...

The song has a odd history, it comes up on the occasional documentary regarding the West Coast music/Coffee House scene.

This Wiki seems to cover most of the angles, remember Dino Valenti? aka Chet Powers?

Did any of those versions spend 8 weeks at #1???

This one did... in 1953!

I know it's a different song... but with the title similarities, I had to post it-- was written by Boudleaux Bryand almost 10 years prior to the now iconic blues/rock/folk tune.

Oh, and thumbs up for the Roy Buchanan version!

Thanks for the link, Twangmeister. I heard/learned the Leaves version first, so that's the one I remember. I didn't realize how much vague history the song had---up there with "House of the Rising Sun".

Hendrix' version is the only one I'll listen to deliberately. I actually refused to play it in a band I was in some years ago, as I don't think we need to perpetuate or glamorize the notion of "cheating justifies murder" which is the basic plot of the song.

Yeah, I know it's only telling a story, not advocating behavior, but there are much better stories worth telling.

Hendrix' version is the only one I'll listen to deliberately. I actually refused to play it in a band I was in some years ago, as I don't think we need to perpetuate or glamorize the notion of "cheating justifies murder" which is the basic plot of the song.

Yeah, I know it's only telling a story, not advocating behavior, but there are much better stories worth telling.

– Parabar

Yeah, that always made me a little more than a bit squeamish. So I'm with you.

Deep dark songs?

Knoxville girl.

Banks of the Ohio.

Pre war murder ballads that are brilliant song writing. And there are a few more aren't there ?

Hey joe rocks hard and tells a story that's been told 1000 times.

The guitar work is simply masterful.

David Crosby of the Byrds always gave himself credit for 'finding' the song, which became an LA combo standard in the same way that 'Some Other Guy' was for Liverpool beat groups- everybody played it.

Such was his irritation that he was to instigate (and insist) that The Byrds produce not just one, but two of the most inferior versions of the song. One can be found on the '5D' album and the other is the excruciating Monterey Pop Festival cut. That's right, the same Monterey Festival where Hendrix destroyed all opposition with his frilled shirt and flaming Stratocaster playing the very same song.

There's every chance that Crosby was forced to eat his Cossack hat after this self-inflicted embarrassment, for he soon reappeared moonlighting with the Buffalo Springfield sporting a wide-brimmed Borsalino instead.

Monterey, why am I doing this?!? Note how he namechecks The Leaves and Hendrix before demolishing 'his' song-

What the heck was this, Ade? I hoped it to be one of those funny things people edit and upload but it seemed real. That will cost me at least one hour of sleep. I cannot get over the solo guitar.

May I throw the Body Count version in?

The flanger is neat on the Body Count version Sascha, for sure.

Loving The Byrds is a test for even the most dedicated enthusiast. For every Renaissance Fair and Everybody's Been Burned, there's a Hey Joe just around the corner. Crimes against Country Gentleman, times two.

I've always liked this version of "Hey Joe" by Deep Purple.

Register Sign in to join the conversation