On the 'tube

Back In The Saddle - Aerosmith live in Japan (Gretsch sighting)

If you were into hard rock in the 70s, chance are you had Aerosmith's Rocks on your turntable for more than a few spins. Anyone? Just me?

In doing some digging on Joe Perry's fingering for his galloping 6-string bass riff I found this 2002 live performance. Always a strong opener for them, no exception here.

It's a great track (also the 1976 LPs opening cut), distinct with Perry's work on the Fender VI, but also an opportunity to hear what a great lead guitarist Brad Whitford is, given the job.

The man has some chops in the lead dept. And what's especially nice about this performance is that LO; Whitford is wielding a Gretsch Duo Jet.

I was on the Bootleg tour for five dates tourmanaging the Dirty Angels, who opened for Aerosmith. This song was my favorite part of the evening every night.

Epic! What a great band they are!

@LarryR; That sounds like the '78 tour, if it's the Bootleg Tour, correct?

I managed to see them live back in 1979, the 'Right in the Nuts' tour. Actually in support of their Night in the Ruts LP, but Joe Perry left the band right after its release, and they had Jimmy Crispo on lead. If fact, I remember being pissed because we bought the tickets months earlier, before Perry quit.

It was at the International Amphitheater in Chicago, a cavernous venue, now long gone. Show date was the day after Christmas.
They had a number of strong opening acts that tour. The opener at our show was a band called Mothers Finest.

I recall Jimmy Crispo making a few missteps, it was early in his tenure with the band. Also Steven Tyler making some remark between songs, about having done a bunch of coke backstage before the show.
It was the 70s, and when the wheels were coming off, from so much indulgence and relentless touring. I think Whitford left the band within a year or two.

Glad they all got things back on track, or 'in the saddle'. One of the few surviving bands comprised of its original members. That's saying something after 50 years.

Yes. Last 5 dates ending in Tulsa if I recall. David Hull who founded Dirty Angels went on to play bass in the Joe Perry band.

Don't hear enough about Aerosmith anymore. Saw them on their Toys In The Attic tour in the old Music Hall in downtown Houston. The theater operators started turning the lights on to shut the show down in the middle of Toys In The Attic. Great show. Seems there was a 3 piece blues rock band called White Lightning?

Saw Aerosmith in Philadelphia the night someone threw a cherry bomb at them entering the stage for the encore. It injured band members, robbed us of an encore and any chance of seeing Aerosmith in Philly for a long time. Joe Perry was playing a Silver Jet that night.

I got to see Aerosmith in Washington DC, at the Capital Center in 1975 (Toys tour). Golden Earring (Radar Love) opened for them, and it was a great concert! I was fifteen years old, and the world was new and fresh. It was the second concert I had been to at the Capital Center, my first concert (ever) was Black Sabbath (Paranoid tour), opened up by Ted Nugent (Stranglehold tour). Next I saw YES in the Round, in 1978, right before the Army took me in and grew me up fast!

I got on board with Aerosmith in the 70's with the Toys in the Attic album. It was my first time hearing of them, I bought when it first came out, after a friend recommended it. My favorite songs were Sweet Emotion, and Walk This Way (Toys in the Attic was a close third). I remember struggling to learn the lead guitar parts to Walk This Way. Joe had great phrasing on those lead parts, and it was quite a challenge for my newbie fingers to wrap themselves around.

That album got a LOT of play, along with Led Zeppelin IV, Rolling Stones Hot Rocks, The best of the Grateful Dead, and Pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd. Money was tight for a fifteen year old, and I only had about had half a dozen albums at the time, so they all saw a lot of spin!

IIRC, Aerosmith was pretty much dying out, when Run DMC did a cool cover of Walk This Way in 1986. Aerosmith was back, but in (IMO), they had, in the words of the masses, sold out to the man. All that "Love in an Elevator" stuff didn't turn my crank like the older songs did. I really like the older songs, but I suppose I can't fault the band for going corporate pop'ish, it's where the money lead. It revitalized the band for a whole new generation of listeners.

@LarryR; That sounds like the '78 tour, if it's the Bootleg Tour, correct?

I managed to see them live back in 1979, the 'Right in the Nuts' tour. Actually in support of their Night in the Ruts LP, but Joe Perry left the band right after its release, and they had Jimmy Crispo on lead. If fact, I remember being pissed because we bought the tickets months earlier, before Perry quit.

It was at the International Amphitheater in Chicago, a cavernous venue, now long gone. Show date was the day after Christmas.
They had a number of strong opening acts that tour. The opener at our show was a band called Mothers Finest.

I recall Jimmy Crispo making a few missteps, it was early in his tenure with the band. Also Steven Tyler making some remark between songs, about having done a bunch of coke backstage before the show.
It was the 70s, and when the wheels were coming off, from so much indulgence and relentless touring. I think Whitford left the band within a year or two.

Glad they all got things back on track, or 'in the saddle'. One of the few surviving bands comprised of its original members. That's saying something after 50 years.

– Edison

Saw dozens of concerts at the International Amphitheater. Also the site of the 1968 Democratic Convention. *just sayin

The only time my brother and I came home the same day with the same album was "Rocks".

"Back in the Saddle" conjures up a lot of good nights in our basement Rec Room.

I saw them on their "Draw the Line" tour. Roberts Stadium Evansville,In. My second concert as well, Wade. Also opened by Golden Earing pre "Twilight Zone". The stadium doesn't exist anymore either but when they shut down, I bought their house mixing board at the auction. An Allen and Heath mixwiz 16.

I just remember how awesome the show was by both performers.

I saw them in 1983, and they were at their nadir at that point. Dream On was the best song of the night, or perhaps I should say the only good one; Walk This Way, Sweet Emotion, Back in the Saddle, and other better songs all fell flat. I saw them again about seven years later, and they were on fire in spite of the weakness of the newer material. It was actually the same week as an Iggy Pop show. He and Steven Tyler are the same age, and both were in top form.

I met Ace Frehley and Gene Simmons in the balcony VIP section (I had worked on an Aerosmith comic book, and our publisher used to be their road manager). Ugly men with really hot girlfriends/dates.

Register Sign in to join the conversation