On the 'tube

Awesome Bees Gees cover

NOW we're talking! Let the church say "Amen!"

And as for BWT3PH (ok, BWT2PH), Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake have it DOWN!

I don't know how it could get no better.

I've always loved that tune. I started to wonder if I could include it in my show...Blues band. I started looking for it on Youtube...Janis did it...so did Nina Simone. It's a killer tune and now it has a very raucous guitar solo. I dig it!

BTW...everybody does it wrong. Barry never sings the 2nd "you". ...if I ain't got you...ain't got.... It's brilliant...it's not there, but everybody hears it. AND...the version in the OP is lame...lots of showing off...no groove.

I feel the same about Axle Rose, Tim.

I agree with Ric12string AKA: Bob nothing new or original here current pop style vocals just needs a little more lisping and fake little girl accent

Wow! This is a tuff crowd.... I like the “idea” of a version done in this manner and I feel she almost pulled it off. To me the guitar player was the soggy lettuce in this salad. The guitar was kinda lifeless both in tone and in the way he approached the song. But I almost liked it!

A tough crowd is rooted in having material to be tough on and this is easy here: a voice that essentially everyone really dislikes and guitar playing and tone very much sub par.

She/They remind me of some of the stuff Amy Winehouse did.

Difference is, Amy was the real deal. Everyone since who’s adopted this fake-fragility (including Adele et al) is just a wannabe Amy.

Difference is, Amy was the real deal. Everyone since who’s adopted this fake-fragility (including Adele et al) is just a wannabe Amy.

– Deke Martin

Yup.

Amy was a hot mess! Don’t do drugs kids.... Adele was largely influenced by Amy, she pays homage to her often. Don’t bag on Adele! I’ve rarely heard anyone with even a fraction of the raw talent and genuine emotive impact as Adele.

Yeah, I kinda deserve that . To be honest I was in a rush when I typed it and didn't intend it to come across so...well, like it did. As this thread has somewhat bifurcated in two different directions I'll try to explain my thoughts (a little better than before) about the original post, then we'll get onto The Bee Gees.

I have nothing against Lindi Ortega or anyone like her. She can clearly sing, looks great and seems to enjoy what she does. I think my beef is purely that Amy was so unique and so influential that it seems we are to be forever deluged by 2nd rate copies. I realise that sounds negative and derogatory to all these people, but I don't mean it to be. I mean it in the same way a person may be regarded as a 2nd rate Bill Gates because they've only made half his money...

As for Adele, I find her vocal delivery a little over-cooked sometimes, but she's sold more records than I'll ever even play so who am I to judge. She's the full package and is very successful because of it, but would she have even got off the starting blocks without Amy paving the way first? Maybe, maybe not.

But I don't think it's necessarily the performers that are to blame. I'm sure a lot of the acts we see and hear are just other record companies trying to find their own Amy. And this is not new; I believe Gene Vincent only made it because Capitol were trying to find their own Elvis, and I would never denigrate Gene. Maybe it's just lazy A&R tactics - easier to find a copycat performer than try to find something truly unique.

And just a little postscript on this before we get on to The Bee Gees. I realise there may be some here who have seen or heard me play that are currently agape at the hypocritical pot-calling-kettle-black view I have on this. I am and have always been a covers player and take great delight in recreating (that's posh for copying) my favourite tunes and attempting to recreate my heroes' styles. Flame away if you like, I probably deserve it.

I saw a TV documentary on singing many years ago, and there was a piece in it on harmony (maybe the whole doc was about harmony, I really can't remember). I think The Everlys were featured, but so too were The Bee Gees. One of them, I think it was Maurice, said something like "One of on our own sounds OK. Two of us sounds pretty good. Three of us sounds amazing". They then proceeded to demonstrate this by performing a song with just an acoustic guitar and I had to agree he was right. I don't really care for much of their back catalogue, but to hear them sing like that - I mean really sing - was quite amazing.

I totally get why someone may be nauseous listening to the older 60's stuff, and the Night Fever era led to so many pastiches that it was difficult to take them seriously, but those guys could sing and boy, could they write.

Yeah, I kinda deserve that . To be honest I was in a rush when I typed it and didn't intend it to come across so...well, like it did. As this thread has somewhat bifurcated in two different directions I'll try to explain my thoughts (a little better than before) about the original post, then we'll get onto The Bee Gees.

I have nothing against Lindi Ortega or anyone like her. She can clearly sing, looks great and seems to enjoy what she does. I think my beef is purely that Amy was so unique and so influential that it seems we are to be forever deluged by 2nd rate copies. I realise that sounds negative and derogatory to all these people, but I don't mean it to be. I mean it in the same way a person may be regarded as a 2nd rate Bill Gates because they've only made half his money...

As for Adele, I find her vocal delivery a little over-cooked sometimes, but she's sold more records than I'll ever even play so who am I to judge. She's the full package and is very successful because of it, but would she have even got off the starting blocks without Amy paving the way first? Maybe, maybe not.

But I don't think it's necessarily the performers that are to blame. I'm sure a lot of the acts we see and hear are just other record companies trying to find their own Amy. And this is not new; I believe Gene Vincent only made it because Capitol were trying to find their own Elvis, and I would never denigrate Gene. Maybe it's just lazy A&R tactics - easier to find a copycat performer than try to find something truly unique.

And just a little postscript on this before we get on to The Bee Gees. I realise there may be some here who have seen or heard me play that are currently agape at the hypocritical pot-calling-kettle-black view I have on this. I am and have always been a covers player and take great delight in recreating (that's posh for copying) my favourite tunes and attempting to recreate my heroes' styles. Flame away if you like, I probably deserve it.

I saw a TV documentary on singing many years ago, and there was a piece in it on harmony (maybe the whole doc was about harmony, I really can't remember). I think The Everlys were featured, but so too were The Bee Gees. One of them, I think it was Maurice, said something like "One of on our own sounds OK. Two of us sounds pretty good. Three of us sounds amazing". They then proceeded to demonstrate this by performing a song with just an acoustic guitar and I had to agree he was right. I don't really care for much of their back catalogue, but to hear them sing like that - I mean really sing - was quite amazing.

I totally get why someone may be nauseous listening to the older 60's stuff, and the Night Fever era led to so many pastiches that it was difficult to take them seriously, but those guys could sing and boy, could they write.

– Deke Martin

I don't like them, British radio stations played them so much you felt like you couldn't escape them.

There's nothing like genetically-linked harmony. Boswell Sisters, Andrews Sisters, Mills Brothers, Jacksons, Cowsills, Everlies, Ann & Nancy Wilson, the Judds, the Quebe Sisters. I'm happy as I can be to hear any of those. They all double (and triple) down on and amplify the inherent shared character of the voices - a little like a guy overdubbing himself, but better because there's just enough difference to keep it from sounding cloned.

So if the inherent shared character of the voice is pleasant to a given listener, the stacked harmony is bound to double-triple the pleasure. When the inherent character is like fingernails-on-chalkboard to a given listener (for whatever reason), the stack only amplifies the pain.

That's most of my personal allergy to the Bee Gees - but I didn't mind Andy.

I understand some people don't like Jon Anderson's voice, and like it even less when he overdubs a Jonstack. I mean, I don't get that at all, but it's fair. At bottom, there's no accounting for taste.

I saw a TV documentary on singing many years ago, and there was a piece in it on harmony (maybe the whole doc was about harmony, I really can't remember). I think The Everlys were featured, but so too were The Bee Gees. One of them, I think it was Maurice, said something like "One of on our own sounds OK. Two of us sounds pretty good. Three of us sounds amazing". They then proceeded to demonstrate this by performing a song with just an acoustic guitar and I had to agree he was right. I don't really care for much of their back catalogue, but to hear them sing like that - I mean really sing - was quite amazing. -- Deke Martin

Listen to this clip of the Bee Gees singing their song, Massachusetts. No big production. No gaudy instrumentation. Just acoustic guitars and their voices. When you get to the choruses where they break out into the three-part harmony, you can hear how clearly they lock into each other's notes with their own harmonies. This is a great example of just what you are talking about with sibling harmony. Skip ahead to 17:43

I just listened to it again. Man, I still dig her voice!

if the consensus is that she's simply mimicking Amy Winehouse or Adele's styling, I'll take your word for it and start listening to them.

Bob, you quoted me, but credited Proteus - I know it was a long post, but jeez...

Oh man. The one in the middle. That voice with its rapid tremulosity goes through me like a serrated knife. Uhhh.

Oh man. The one in the middle. That voice with its rapid tremulosity goes through me like a serrated knife. Uhhh.

– Proteus

But, you don't hear it when all three of them are singing. As Deke's post pointed out, it is the blend of all three voices that is magical. And Robin's voice by itself is definitely an acquired taste.

Bob, you quoted me, but credited Proteus - I know it was a long post, but jeez...

– Deke Martin

Priceless, Deke.

I didn’t care for the original post’s rendition but do like The Bee Gees. Great harmonies.

– Proteus

Now on that we most definitely concur. Not a taste I’ll be acquiring too soon. I don’t even know how people do that. I worked in a band once whose front man could/would have been a great singer were it not for doing this every time he did his (constant yet crap) Elvis impression.

Register Sign in to join the conversation