On the 'tube

Awesome Bees Gees cover

I haven't thought of this song in decades. Suddenly, it was stuck in my head. I youtubed it and found this amazing cover. What a voice.

I'm of the opinion that any Bee Gees cover has about a 90% chance of sounding better than the original.

I'm of the opinion that any Bee Gees cover has about a 90% chance of sounding better than the original.

– Proteus

I would disagree strongly with that.

And as for this cover, it is very likely a generational thing, but her voice leaves me flat. The current pop market is full of this same style of vocal. I wish her well, but it isn't my cup of tea.

And this cover is too slow. It feels as if it is plodding.

– Proteus

That’s too funny. You got me laughing Tim!

For some reason this one has been coming up on suggested videos. Don’t know why since I haven’t been watching any Bee Gees on YouTube or this guys videos but they are telling me to watch this. Not bad guitar cover

Buddy Miller is the one for me with this song. Gets a good laugh, too, with his aside to the keyboard player -- "you got a button for E?"

– Proteus

I've always seriously admired their talents as composers. They have produced a ton of great songs.

Their vocals....? "To each his own..." Personally I've bought and enjoyed a LOT of their records/CDs. I've always suspected that their disco phase turned a lot of people off.

Nice to hear modern interpretations. It almost always makes me feel more appreciative of pre-00's music and pity the current iterations.

Too much Aguilera vs Brothers Gibb for me.

If you want to cover a classic, try to add something to it or make it your own. Case in point, Ms. Janis Joplin:

I would disagree strongly with that.

And as for this cover, it is very likely a generational thing, but her voice leaves me flat. The current pop market is full of this same style of vocal. I wish her well, but it isn't my cup of tea.

And this cover is too slow. It feels as if it is plodding.

– Ric12string

I am eternally grateful to the brothers Gibb for helping to keep my 70's road band working 6 nights a week, 46+ weeks a year all over the northeast quarter of the country - for years. The audiences shaped a lot of our song choices and most Bee Gees tunes filled the dance floor with spandex clad wannabe Travoltas and Travoltettes. Personally, I found the whole spectacle Travolting.

As for the cover in the original post, it has that 'I want to sound soulful and I need to take a dump but I'm constipated' vocal sound that I blame on Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, and Star Search.

That is on the list, Tony, thanks. I find BeeGees snobbery amusing.

Fantastic writers & translate to deep soul so well.

How is it snobbery not to like something, and to mention it? The breathy tremulous wavering 3-part harmony all but provokes a gag reaction. It's visceral. I can't take it or leave it.

The songs are fine. Well, "Mining Disaster" isn't fine. Nor "I started a joke that started the whole world laughing but the joke was on me" isn't fine either. Self-pitying breathy tremulous wavering 3-part harmony. As cheese-coated cornball, it's right up there with "Raindrops keep fallin' on my head and just like the man whose feets is too big for his bed." Cue up Bobby Goldsboro's "Honey" and I'll seize up in gelatinous goo.

Nothing wrong with "To Love Somebody" as a song though. I'll accept that the brudders Gibb were good and occasionally excellent songwriters. Also, I found the band more palatable during the disco era, there being a lot of other stuff to distract from the BTW3PH.

Of the two covers posted, I much prefer the Janis. The other is too mannered for my taste (though the girl has the makings of a distinctive voice), and I don't understand pretty much any of the guitarist's choices. It seems he fights the natural emotive flow of the song at every step, providing noodly lead bits under big parts and chording in blocks during little parts. Maybe it's an intentional arty approach that I just don't get.

EDIT: I forgot "Tie a Yellow Ribbon." It has to be part of the treacle medley too.

OK, snobbery was low. Different strokes etc. But 'gag reaction' kind of goes further than simply not liking something, I think.

Yes it does. But it's pretty much true. My reaction to their voices is so visceral and fundamental that it's all I can do to make it through a 60s Bee Gees record. It's like an allergy which doesn't give me the chance to enjoy anything else about the band - except through covers!

I'm not snobbish about it; I recognize that they were unique in the 60s (mostly in a way I can't tolerate), and I think they were inventive and even innovative during the disco years. Some of my favorite songs from that era, actually. (Which isn't saying a lot, as I'm not much about disco - and I had to play a lot of it at the time - but I give them their due.)

Well, how about this: I love their sing 'Immortality', and CELINE DION sings on that!

Never heard it, but I'm good with Celine Dion. Carpenters. Anne Murray. Neil Diamond. Andrews Sisters. Beach Boys. Vogues. 4 Seasons. The Association. Barbershop. Choral music. Bring it on.

It's not the middle of the road that puts me off, it's the genetic curse on the Brothers Gibbs voices.

My personal mystery of why this song was stuck in my head is solved. It's in a Facebook commercial that's in heavy rotation in the NJ/NYC area.

Never heard it, but I'm good with Celine Dion. Carpenters. Anne Murray. Neil Diamond. Andrews Sisters. Beach Boys. Vogues. 4 Seasons. The Association. Barbershop. Choral music. Bring it on.

It's not the middle of the road that puts me off, it's the genetic curse on the Brothers Gibbs voices.

– Proteus

Well now, you don't like Eric Johnson either, so I can't take your critic of the Bee Gees seriously either

I couldn't make it past the first verse of the originally posted cover. The affectation of precociousness was too much for me.

I couldn't make it past the first verse of the originally posted cover. The affectation of precociousness was too much for me.

– Bonedaddy

Yeah, no one here seems to like her voice. I found it to be quirky and I like the frumpy look. And I was pleased to see she was covering a song that I thought was long-forgotten (I didn't know it was in at least one TV commercial). I know that some posters have written that her singing style is commonplace nowadays. I guess I don't listen (or watch) enough new singers. I'm still stuck on Aimee Mann and Chrissie Hynde.

Eric Johnson..Eric Johnson...OH! Wasn't he the Bee Gees’ guitarist?

Eric Johnson..Eric Johnson...OH! Wasn't he the Bee Gees’ guitarist?

– Proteus

Ha!

I agree with Bob; her voice does absolutely nothing for me, nor does any similar voice for that matter. Best description is that there's no musical texture to it. I understand that it's somewhat 'different' but that doesn't equate to listenable or good IMO.

No one's mentioned it yet but that Gibson sounds horrid! New Gibson acoustics always sound very dull to me as none I've ever played have a hint of being opened up yet. Vintage ones are pretty good but not the new ones. This one sounds like a new one with dead flat wounds on it. The guitar's sound/tone is the equivalent to her voice.....neither worth a listen.

– Bonedaddy

We have a winner. No more calls please!

Register Sign in to join the conversation