On the 'tube

Apollo 11 Doc on CNN tonite

The Apollo 11 Documentary that was released in theatres earlier this year is being shown on CNN at 9 pm EST tonite. It includes restored 70mm NASA vintage footage. If you were a space nut like I was back then, I highly recommend it. Also, the Smithsonian channel is airing a series called Apollo's Moon Shot.

In The Shadow Of The Moon 2007 is very good as well.

I was in basic training when the Moon landing happened. It was the only time I saw TV for months---they gave us 4 hours off to watch the coverage, then, back to the grind.

Well, that brought back some memories.

Watch this, you will be amazed at the amount of never before seen film (extremely high quality for its age), full of details that we never knew. Very moving, I highly recommend you to watch this with your kids and grandkids.

When the moon landing happened our band cancelled a gig just so we could stay home and watch it on TV.

Being a big John Stewart fan, the inclusion of his song "Mother Country" was a high point in the film.

John was a great songwriter and never got the fame and respect he deserved.

yes... the moon landing happened.

It's such a depressing indicator of the state of things that a post like this is deemed necessary, even as humor. If anything, I think the contingent of Murkins who claim it was staged in the desert (of a flat earth) has grown in recent years.

Thankfully, since those folks don't believe in science, they can't use electricity (unless struck by iightning) or any of the fruits of industrial or modern technology - much less communications devices or the internet.

All of the claims I've seen that the moon landing was staged say it was done in a secret studio (some even claim Stanley Kubrick was involved). The desert is a new one to me.

Given the frequency and scope of Government Big Lies that have already been well proven (from the Warren Commission to the Tonkin Gulf to 9-11 to the "Weapons of Mass Destuction" and on and on and on), I can sympathize with those who suspect something fishy about the moon landing. And far from "not believing in science," some of the prominent nay-sayers are themselves scientists who claim that our technology was not QUITE up to a safe round trip in 1969, but that the gummint needed the propaganda value of having it happen.

Me personally, I'm like Fox Mulder. I WANT to believe it happened, but I have to admit I really don't know, and probably never will. And whether it did or didn't makes very little difference to my life here and now, so I don't spend much energy speculating.

some even claim Stanley Kubrick was involved

If Kubrick was involved, the production values would have been higher.

The tell-tale for Conspiracy Theorists is the "American Flag"...

Kind of like the IMDB "Movie Mistakes" at the bottom of the page.

The Flag is seen moving...no atmosphere on the Moon.

Mulder and Scully wouldn't have liked that some of the shadows are in the wrong direction compared to the position of the Sun, either.

Gotta Luv a good Mystery Movie!

So...… if the moon missions were faked, why did we have a failed mission with Apollo 13?

So...… if the moon missions were faked, why did we have a failed mission with Apollo 13?

– Twom

They knew you'd be asking this. And that's how they pulled you in - hook, line and sinker.

My wife and I watched this last night and it brought back so many memories. What they did with minimal technology is incredible. Each phase was a cliffhanger just like it was real time that Saturday way back when. I was at Burnham Park yacht club which was on the island where Meigs field used to be and the moon was over Solider Field. They wheeled out the massive 25" TV so you could see the moon in the just above the TV, I'll never forget that day.

What a great way to experience the event, Curt.

My father was heavily involved as an electrical engineer from the last mercury shots on thru the apollo program. My uncle was with NASA from the git go. Was in the group that took Von Braun to Mexico in order to qualify him as a citizen. I watched all of those shots live. Never was there even a rumor of fakery. I just shake my head in wonder at what people believe sometimes, although given the lying liars in DC, it's often understood.

My father was heavily involved as an electrical engineer from the last mercury shots on thru the apollo program. My uncle was with NASA from the git go. Was in the group that took Von Braun to Mexico in order to qualify him as a citizen. I watched all of those shots live. Never was there even a rumor of fakery. I just shake my head in wonder at what people believe sometimes, although given the lying liars in DC, it's often understood.

– Opie

...that and the “flat earth” types.

Did you know that there are millions of flat earth believers all over the globe?

Did you know that there are millions of flat earth believers all over the globe?

– Suprdave

Yet not a single one of them has fallen off the edge. Curious.

Yet not a single one of them has fallen off the edge. Curious.

– Afire

...that we know of. There is no evidence as they were no doubt eaten by a giant space goat.

...that we know of. There is no evidence as they were no doubt eaten by a giant space goat.

– Bob Howard

There are kooks out there who deny the very existence of the space goat. What a world.

I watched the moon landings in the 4th grade. It was some pretty cool stuff to watch, for a 4th grader. I have no doubt that it happened, and there are positive proofs that it did.

I was having lunch with one of my nephews, a few months ago, and the subject of the moon landings came up. He asked me "you don't really believe that we went to the moon, with 1969 technology do you"? I answered "no, it was more like 1964 or 1965 technology, it takes time to get from the drawing board, to production". He didn't like my answer, he's one of the ignorant young people, who just can't grasp what commitment and determination our country had to reach the moon, with a manned vehicle.

He asked what proofs could be offered to support my position, that we did indeed land man on the moon. I asked him if he knew what a retro reflector was, he said "no". A retro reflector is a reflector that reflects light directly back to the source. Astronauts left several of them behind, on the moon, during the Apollo landings. Scientists routinely shoot Lasers at them, and watch the reflection flash after several seconds. They can calculate the distance between the moon and the earth, by timing the interval between the firing of laser and the observation of the reflection. It's self evident that "someone" put reflectors on the moon.

yes... the moon landing happened.

It's such a depressing indicator of the state of things that a post like this is deemed necessary, even as humor. If anything, I think the contingent of Murkins who claim it was staged in the desert (of a flat earth) has grown in recent years.

Thankfully, since those folks don't believe in science, they can't use electricity (unless struck by iightning) or any of the fruits of industrial or modern technology - much less communications devices or the internet.

– Proteus

thats your opinion. If I dont want to believe the moon landing actually happened that doesnt mean I dont believe in science and there is no reason to tie it to flat earth crap.

Register Sign in to join the conversation