On the 'tube

All Thumbs - Chet Atkins

I don't have Chet's version of it so had to use 11 yr old Richard Smith's youtube version to get it together. It isn't exactly what Richard played and pieced some of it together and added my own ideas but it's All Thumbs just the same lol.

One of my favorite Chet tunes. For me it has an extremely narrow window for getting the tempo right and you nailed it! What makes this tune so effective to listen to is the subtle syncopation throughout. Some play this tune but don't have the syncopation and it leaves their rendition sort of lifeless. You got that part perfectly.....beautifully played mate.

Superb as always Taffy! BTW, I get to see Richard Smith tonight for the first time at a very small venue, can't wait.

I'm running out of superlatives to describe your playing, Taffy.

That was fantabulous!

I love that tune, and especially the way you play it. It sounds like something right straight out of the mind of Jerry Reed, but it was written by Mark Casstevens.

Really nice, Paul.

that was GREAT, Paul.

thanks for posting the link for us.

I wanna tell ya. You finger-pickers amaze the screw out of me. I have trouble remembering which power chord/cowboy chord to use when playing simple rock tunes and you guys can remember an entire song note for note. Just brilliant!

Thanks for sharing, Taffy.

Fantastic, Taffy! You sure can roll right through that.

Thanks a lot guys

Opie you'll love watching Richard. I've seen him twice in the last 6 months playing in a hotel lobby bar in Nashville. Both times almost nobody was paying any attention and happily drinking and chatting at the bar while I sat right next to him and we chatted through the whole set. He's a nice guy to boot.

Thanks a lot guys

Opie you'll love watching Richard. I've seen him twice in the last 6 months playing in a hotel lobby bar in Nashville. Both times almost nobody was paying any attention and happily drinking and chatting at the bar while I sat right next to him and we chatted through the whole set. He's a nice guy to boot.

– Taffy

What a show. Heartwood stage in Gainesville is the best venue I've seen for these type of things. It's basically a studio with enough room for maybe 50 people,with outside seating and monitor viewing. There were maybe 25 people last night, you could of heard a flea fart so respectful was the audience during the songs. Played two long sets, got to chat him up a bit. I told him I learned about him from you and Richard Hudson on these very pages, his demeanor brighted on that news and he heaped praises on you both. What a player, true master at work.

Oh,oh, the owner told me that they are trying to get Tommy Emmanuel as well,some local deep pocket guy is helping with the extra cost. Richard said he buggered up a digit on his right hand, but should be good to go in a few weeks. Too much world class gitar wonderment for this cat!

I asked Richard if he knew if Jerry Reed was influenced by a guy I got into about a year or two ago by the name of Bill Harris. Said he'd never heard of him, but to me it was one of those moments like when I first heard Joseph Spence and realized that that was where Ry Cooder got that unique way of syncopation he does . Got me thinking if Richard Smith hasn't heard of him other Jerry Reed fans hadn't either. Anyway, here's a link to one of his instrumentals. Link

Lovely, swingy playing Paul. I know I know - I say the same thing every time you post - but ALL of your posts are full of lovely swingy playing, so what can a guy do?

I asked Richard if he knew if Jerry Reed was influenced by a guy I got into about a year or two ago by the name of Bill Harris. Said he'd never heard of him, but to me it was one of those moments like when I first heard Joseph Spence and realized that that was where Ry Cooder got that unique way of syncopation he does . Got me thinking if Richard Smith hasn't heard of him other Jerry Reed fans hadn't either. Anyway, here's a link to one of his instrumentals. Link

– Opie

I haven't heard of Bill either. The link didn't work but I found a few on youtube and I can see your thinking, esp with him playing a nylon which isn't the norm for most players outside of classical/latin music. Glad you enjoyed Richard, personally I prefer him more than anyone else playing fingerstyle today.

Love that little bit at around 0:40 with the fretted and open notes overlapping to make a cool turnaround waterfall. I'm such a sucker for that kind of flourish.

For the very natural, flowing, subtly swinging feel needed for this kind of piece, I steer people towards listening to Harlem stride piano. It's a guitar style which owes much to this piano technique.

You've already read the pamphlet on this one Taffy, so need not apply for a copy!

Link fixed.

Link fixed.

– Opie

That one in particular has some definite Reedness to it.

Thanks Neil & Ade

What can I say Paul, I'm just blown away every time I hear you play!

Register Sign in to join the conversation