On the 'tube

A Method I use When I am Stuck in a Rut with My Playing and Soloing

I thought I would share this video I did that shows one method I use to get out of a rut when you are playing and feel like you play the same thing over and over with nothing new. I sometimes find my self doing this for hours which is great because it also helps map out the fretboard too. What do you all do to get out of a rut when your playing is sounding the same over and over.

Great idea! Thanks for sharing. Cute kid, too.

Capital idea! Guitar ruts can be maddening. Unless I'm actively playing with other people, I find myself sinking into my comfort zone. My comfort zone is the blues, I often find myself running the same blues progressions and scales over and over again. I'm going to give this a try and see how it goes. Thanks for the video!

Capital idea! Guitar ruts can be maddening. Unless I'm actively playing with other people, I find myself sinking into my comfort zone. My comfort zone is the blues, I often find myself running the same blues progressions and scales over and over again. I'm going to give this a try and see how it goes. Thanks for the video!

– Wade H

Awesome Wade, Let me know how it goes. I am excited to hear about the results.

I also find playing with others is another great way to get something new and fresh to happen. I wish I could jam with others more often without a real goal other than just playing for fun!

Great idea, thanks...I’m on it

Neil Young has done this successfully for decades.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

Never studied Neal Youngs playing much, I didn't realize he played like that. Do you have a video example to share I would love to see that.

Scott, I was actually joking, as many call his playing so simplistic.

The lead for Cinnamon Girl came to mind!

Scott, I was actually joking, as many call his playing so simplistic.

The lead for Cinnamon Girl came to mind!

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

I am an idiot lol

Nah, doubt that.

Great thread, but for some reason Cinnamon Girl started playing in my head. Lol

During the one lesson I had with Jim Hall he talked about the importance of playing on one string too. He used to actually tape off the other strings. Then he would allow himself to play on two strings. Its a great approach and really brings the ear into the picture. Thanks for posting.

During the one lesson I had with Jim Hall he talked about the importance of playing on one string too. He used to actually tape off the other strings. Then he would allow himself to play on two strings. Its a great approach and really brings the ear into the picture. Thanks for posting.

– Journeyman

Thx so much. Cool to see others are teaching this.

Nah, doubt that.

Great thread, but for some reason Cinnamon Girl started playing in my head. Lol

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

Exactly! It's the longest single note solo in existence! I always used to think "you have a full fretboard Neil, use it". That thing goes on and on and on........

Exactly! It's the longest single note solo in existence! I always used to think "you have a full fretboard Neil, use it". That thing goes on and on and on........

– Wade H

Sometimes its about "the" note and how many notes.. LOL

Register Sign in to join the conversation