On the 'tube

A Gift from Sweden - ABBA

My wife and daughter are fans. Back in the day, ABBA was bringing more money into Sweden than Volvo and Saab combined. I was impressed that they recorded in 85 different languages.

Perfect pop melodies and voice harmonies. One of my guilty pleasures.

I'm sorry...there are no best ABBA songs...

Lol, Paul. That is a pretty strong take on it. They were a very fine pop band of their time. If, in the mid to late Seventies you weren't a fan of pop music, then nothing could likely persuade you of their merits.

– Gretschrocker

Thunderball, why are you behaving in such a trollish manner of late?

Can't he - and any future iterations - simply be blocked from the website?

Dave, Baxter already threw him off the site once before. I am not sure if Baxter permitted his return or if he just went unnoticed by Baxter due to the press of other things.

ABBA was cool, no question. Finely crafted pop and harmonies, at their best. This photo was from the ABBA museum in Stockholm - if you're in town, I recommend you go.

Simple catchy songs, mostly I-IV-V progressions, and great harmonies. Still, I couldn't get past the silly disco costumes.

I'm sorry...there are no best ABBA songs...

– Rhythmisking

Do you mean because they are all equally great? So none can be best?

Like if everyone had 2 million dollars then no one would be rich.

Lol, Paul. That is a pretty strong take on it. They were a very fine pop band of their time. If, in the mid to late Seventies you weren't a fan of pop music, then nothing could likely persuade you of their merits.

– Ric12string

Yes, even The Sex Pistols were ABBA fans back then. They were so popular and good they had a fan base from all walks of life.

I also didn't like their strange outfits. Then, I would catch the occasional glimpse of Agnetha's hindquarters (2:34) and the outfits no longer mattered. This is one of my favorites and it's a tune that many arena rock bands could have been playing. It's not a simple song or a I-IV-V progression.

I always felt bad for Agnetha, being so in love with me like she was and she never even knew it.

Sad, innit?

I have the ability to enjoy a pop song much like I have the ability to enjoy a rock song. I can appreciate the songwriting qualities of each. ABBA's popularity also came at a time when I was residing in Europe and so I saw them through a different set of eyes perhaps then if I were residing in the States.

As for the costumes, I think that there were two factors at work there:

• It was, after all, the disco era. Even here in the States, the costumes worn to discotheques would be considered hideously silly using today's standards.

• There was also a cultural aspect to this, I believe. It was always my observation while I lived in Europe that the Europeans had a simpler, more naïve view of entertainment while we Americans tended to be a bit more cynical and perhaps slightly elitist. When I would see some of the schlager singers and the songs that they would sing, I would often say to myself that there was no way that those songs would even make the charts in America. Yet, they were highly popular there. The costumes that the entertainers there would wear were also something that, at times, I thought would never be worn on an American stage. But, again, I think that that was just my American cynicism at work there.

There was also a Swedish tax aspect at work. Only costumes that were not typical, normal wear could be written off as business expenses (according to Wiki.....).

I actually spent time in prison guys, It was due to an unpaid traffic offense and the judge decided to make me a lesson to others that were in the same position as me, what a twat. So here I am sharing a cell with an armed bank robber for not paying a fine, how the hell is that right? So when I got out a week later this was the first song I heard and loved it ever since:

How can you not like this? 2 of the hottest girls in pop singing a really great pop song.

Not my type of music really, but I have always liked ABBA. One cool thing, Björn Ulvaeus builds an apartment by the sea 5 minutes away from where I live. He grew up here and visit the city quite often.

Not my type of music really, but I have always liked ABBA. One cool thing, Björn Ulvaeus builds an apartment by the sea 5 minutes away from where I live. He grew up here and visit the city quite often.

Back in the day I knew they were REALLY BIG somewhere...

It seemed like an impossible gimmick.

Our lead guitarist liked them...I was always more interested in Kate Bush:

I actually spent time in prison guys, It was due to an unpaid traffic offense and the judge decided to make me a lesson to others that were in the same position as me, what a twat. So here I am sharing a cell with an armed bank robber for not paying a fine, how the hell is that right? So when I got out a week later this was the first song I heard and loved it ever since:

How can you not like this? 2 of the hottest girls in pop singing a really great pop song.

– Taffy

My favorite ABBA tune. I actually tried to get our band to create a punk cover of the song, but no one bought in.

Our lead guitarist liked them...I was always more interested in Kate Bush:

– Toddfan

So was David Gilmour. I think he was instrumental (no pun) in her career. I know John Lydon is a fan of hers too. Me too.

Register Sign in to join the conversation