On the 'tube

A Chicken-pickin’ master class….telecaster content

This is how it's done - CLICK

Wooot!!! Right? Thanks for sharing.

Incredibly great..... The guy's possessed.

shame they only left the guitar solos in that clip - the guy can certainly play, and I love guitar, but I like music even more...

Look at the spread on fingers that guy has. I have smaller hands, no spread like that and that's why I'm goin' back to 24" scale. Great stuff, tho.

What Walter said. The guy is a really good player, and I love his tone -- but chorus after chorus of hot rockabilly licks, no matter how brilliantly played, leave me longing for the song.

Killer!! Some awesome chops right there... wow! Enjoyed that the recording was from Robert's, too. Just went there for the first time in October.

I had numerous thoughts watching that, some of them several times.

Ooh, roots shredding!

Fine Tele tone, but nothing I’ve ever heard from Pigtronix seems like it would contribute.

He doesn’t exactly make it look easy, but he does make it look possible.

Yup, big hands.

I bet he practices a lot.

There was that ONE time he played a bent note that mighta gone a quarter or half in length - and it sounded like a loss of conviction, like the note didn’t know what to do with itself. Hmm.

He’s no James Wilsey.

He’s also no Jim Campilongo in entertaining range of ideas.

Well of course he played the right notes - he played ALL of them. Every time.

I wish I could play like that - and opted only to do it now and then -instead of just plain not having the physical facility. (Or, considering how many times I’ve tried - and how diligently I worked at it - apparently not having the native gifts to develop the facility.)

Either he’s supernatural, or we’are looking at a guy who found that thing for which he had a unique inherent capacity - both purely physical and musical - then developed a passion for it and worked like hell to realize that potential.

Steve Morse looks like he has more fun.

I’m not sure I could take more than a set’s worth.

I wonder if he has other musical tricks.

He’s Telephemus, an Olympian, a living breathing celebration of human possibility. It’s as heartening, exhilarating, and inspiring to see (“man, look what’s possible!”) as it is intimidating and discouraging (“but not for me”).

I should have a blonde maple-necked Telecaster.

I should never have a blonde maple-necked Telecaster.

I'm betting Taffy could give him a run for his money. Jus sayin'

Well, Pigtronix put the clip together for promotional purposes, so it's not quite fair to judge the breadth of what he plays from it. I saw loads of cool stuff in there, lots of it accessible. It's s the stringing it all together on the fly that always impresses me the most.

Well, Pigtronix put the clip together for promotional purposes, so it's not quite fair to judge the breadth of what he plays from it.

Of course. I understood the player hadn't edited the video, and wasn't judging his musicality on that basis. Have to hear him in the context of the whole band - and in other situations - to do that.

In any case, it's pointless to critique such masterful, deadly accurate playing - because any such reeks of jealousy and envy. And I don't feel that way, like at all.

I saw loads of cool stuff in there, lots of it accessible. It's the stringing it all together on the fly that always impresses me the most.

Definitely. Same vibe I get from Steve Morse, Greg Koch, Campilongo, Pigat, Erbetta and other modern masters - it's the command over such a wide range of approaches and technique, and the ability to synthesize and execute on the fly.

Register Sign in to join the conversation