Modern Gretsch Guitars

Zero Fret

Thanks Dave for the detailed zero glide installation guide. I ordered one from StewMac. Along with a set of radius guages. Tomorrow I’ll order another Zero Glide for my Vox Spitfire/Fender Strat hybrid. And thanks to Strummerson, I’ll call StewMac direct to check on some stainless Fret Wire (my catalog doesn’t show stainless). And Chitlins my made in Italy 60’s Vox Spitfire (I have 2) just have a two string tree with a zero fret. Chitlin were you in Blind Melon Chitlin with Tom and Bruce Fowler and others from Frank Zappa’s big band? Now no one tell me to jump off the bridge. If one of this gang told me to, I might jump.

Vox Spitfire Head ^

Lots of Teiscos, Normas and random Japanese 6 in line heads used the full length tree. Now those same factories like Terada et al are considered premium builders over Korea and other Asian builders.

Vox Spitfire Head ^

Lots of Teiscos, Normas and random Japanese 6 in line heads used the full length tree. Now those same factories like Terada et al are considered premium builders over Korea and other Asian builders.

Actually...the BIGGEST downside to the zero fret is that they became associated with low-end, cheapo guitars and they are often parked a couple inches downstream of the metal bar used to keep down-pressure on the nut. Guilt by association.

– charlie chitlins

Huh?? I have 3 electric Gretschs and not a "metal bar used to keep down-pressure on the nut"in sight.....and none needed. A correctly angled headstock in concert with properly wrapped strings on the tuning pegs - wound so they end up well below the peg's hole - obviates any need for a bar to produce down-pressure for the strings prior to passing through the nut.

In my life I've never even though of a zero fret being associated with cheapo guitar, nor have I heard of it in anything I've read. What cheapo guitars had zero frets??

I can see the argument that for a guitar without a zero fret, a fretted note may audibly sound different than an open note IF the nut is any one of the various shitty plastics being used these days. If bone is being used, I tend to think that there's going to be less difference in comparing the timbre of both notes.

I agree that a zero fret lessens the need for the highly precise filing of the nut slots. You still need them to be wide enough so the strings don't bind but the depth and contouring of the bottom doesn't have to be so exacting.

Zero frets are the best nuts out there and they require little talent to be perfect. The only downside is string skating.

It's my understanding the zero fret gives a open string the same tonal qualities as a fretted one.

What happened to the zero fret? My two Gretschs have them but newer models don't? For some reason I thought Gretsch were zero fret now I don't see it used much???

Given the choice, all of my guitars would have zero-frets.

Register Sign in to join the conversation