Modern Gretsch Guitars

You know what Gretsch doesn’t make?

When did they stop making the Vette? That was such a cool guitar, unique and good value. I can’t remember what the pickups were called that came with them but they were some kind of very singlecoil sounding Filteralike.

I gave mine to my cousin. I kinda miss it now.

– Tsar Nicholas

The Electromatic version of the Corvette used MegaTrons, which were pretty high output FilterTron style pickups. The original version Corvettes used single coil HiLoTroms.

Seems like an appropriate time to share this GretschPages classic

As I recall in the pre-FMIC days, Gretsch made two double cut Jr's: a 6122 and a White Falcon. Both were fully hollow and reputed to be quite neck heavy.

As I recall in the pre-FMIC days, Gretsch made two double cut Jr's: a 6122 and a White Falcon. Both were fully hollow and reputed to be quite neck heavy.

Right - but apparently much beloved by their owners. I see two Country Classic Jrs on Reverb at the moment, both crowding 2,000.00.

Buuuut...fully hollow. I was gassing for a centerblock, which would counterbalance the neck.

Right - but apparently much beloved by their owners. I see two Country Classic Jrs on Reverb at the moment, both crowding 2,000.00.

Buuuut...fully hollow. I was gassing for a centerblock, which would counterbalance the neck.

– Proteus

I had major GAS for a brand new 6122 Jr I saw hanging in a local GC back in the pre-FMIC days. The blingy gold hardware really jumped off the downsized poop brown body. I've always liked the original Jr models, especially the last 6120 Jrs made that had the post FMIC spec's. A Jr also makes a lot more sense for a short guy like me.

And y'know...having evaluated everything I seem to have learned about my preferences along the hollow-solid continuum over the past week while re-playing all my centerblock guitars...I think maybe they're a little too solid for me.

They sound fine; I do like the sort of chunky, concentrated mass they deliver around the fundamental of a note. But, especially played clean, they're all a little dry for my taste - or for what my ear now instinctively wants to hear, ever since I got myself accustomed to the extra resonance and spectral complexity of more fully hollow Gretschs and their pickups.

So a Gent Junior may be exactly the small-bodied doublecut my ear is really looking for. And I have my eye on the 6120DC - the Nashville's 16" doublecut counterpart from the 60s (and as reissued by Gretsch for a few years in the rememberable past). That was actually the first model I thought I wanted when I started the Gretsch adventure 15+ years ago, and made a huge round of stores where I could play the guitars in person. Had one of them had one, it might have been my first. But they didn't, I found several others that tickled my tonal fancy, and...well, one thing and another and durned if time doesn't fly, and it's never seemed high enough priority to track one down. That could change.

I was thinking that a Junior sized body with light trestle bracing might be ideal. You avoid the mass and weight of a center block, but create a bit more focus in the tone w/o killing all the airiness and maintain some of the feedback resistance. In some ways, a TVJones Spectrasonic could possibly fill that niche (not the double cut angle though). The only thing is, I think the Spectrasonics are more of a chambered body like a Jet rather than hollow w/ braces or a center block.

A trestle-braced thinline is what we all need.

I now agree with Otter.

I have a Spectrasonic, and it's magnificent. It's just that I constantly wonder if there's something better than magnificent.

I'll tell you in a few months.

I'll tell you in a few months.

– Otter

Mysterious...

Register Sign in to join the conversation