Modern Gretsch Guitars

ya, because tone is all in the fingers, real players dont use effec…

Who cares whether someone does or does not run their signal through pedals? Is Roger McGuinn a lesser player because he uses a compressor? Was Roy Buchanan a lesser player because (for the most part) he didn't use pedals?

I don't care and wish others wouldn't care either.

Maybe if you have SO much tone in your fingers, you don't even need pedals or an amp. Or a guitar. Why do I keep reading this thread?

Maybe if you have SO much tone in your fingers, you don't even need pedals or an amp. Or a guitar. Why do I keep reading this thread?

– Vince_Ray

it then would becomes a battle of which Microphone and Mic Preamp.

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™ (actually loves hippies)

It has to be the one with tubes in it.

Besides, everybody knows that the real secret to tone is having a really cool guitar strap.

Hey maaaan....tone is in your soooooouuuullllll.

Like, dig it?

Bono was also asked to sing the anthem, but he had to go to his ex-manager's daughters wedding.

(23): well said, Bob.

Just catching up, as you can see I've a long way to go reading down this thread!

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™ (actually loves hippies)

I've heard guys arguing over the brand of recording tape.

Tone is my barber. No relation to Barber pedals either. Just an Italian called Tony. Why do I keep reading this thread? Pedals are fun. I wish I could be smug and say I didn't need them but I do love foolin with those foxy boxes

Who says that?

If the player has soul, the guitar doesn't have to...though I guess if the player and the guitar are incompatible, transmission might be impeded.

We all know which side of the pointless fabricated FX controversy I'm on - both!

I've loved effects since I plugged into my dad's tape recorder in 1969 and discovered both creamy preamp overdrive and delay - all with one guitar cord!

I'm in the perfect conflicted neurotic's position now - I have a bunch of effects and love them, but I feel ashamed so I rarely use them.

So many peers, such elusive approval!

So, is it time to sell off my Atomic Brain and my Billy Brain and plunge full into the Mystery Brain?

I hear good things, but how do they compare to each other?

I read an article where Keith Richards says he doesn't use any pedals but I swear there sure is a lot of chorus on the some girls album.

So, is it time to sell off my Atomic Brain and my Billy Brain and plunge full into the Mystery Brain? I hear good things, but how do they compare to each other?

You can't sell both those brains (pick one), but you do need to plunge into the Mystery. It has the preamp bit like yer brains there, and that's handy - kinda like a utility, if you willity - but the voodoo in the MB is in the delay and its modulation whacker knob. I don't know what, if anything, it's supposed to "emulate," this or that perhaps, but to me it has its own character.

Slapback and tape echo artifacts are not something I live or die by, so don't take as sworn gospel any of my representations about how well the MB does them. They're good enough for me, working as well in context as similar settings on the magisterial El Capistan - and maybe a little better than from a Dlx Memory Man (my first and still a favorite delay pedal). So there's the other blade in this little swiss army pedal's utilitarian sheath: preamp grittsch and rockabilly slapback in one convenient box.

But if that's all it did, I wouldn't have felt compelled to spring for it. (Not that that's not enough: others for whom those two functions are 66-100% of their pedalboard needs likely find that basic spec sufficient for purchase.)

The magic for me is in the interaction between longer delay times and the cwazy cwazy modulation. I think it actually out-Memoryzes the Memory Man in gooey, shiny, slippery, convoluted wavy waves of delambience which lay perfectly in a gig mix. Abundant atmosphere and texture, perfectly clear enough to see drunkenly through if you've a mind to gaze into the abyss - but without overwhelming the musical content (if any) on top.

It just kinda takes you there, and then you get to figure out where there is. Great fun.

This train makes every stop along the line from the upright oldschool butch-waxed slapback regime to the long-haired far-out wobbly Pink Floyd echofest, and does it all in lush comfort. It's a mystery indeed.

(Do NOT tell Tavo about this last bit. He didn't know it would do that, and he doesn't really like hippies.)

all this brain talk has me interested, which one would pair best with my Boss Space Echo RE-20 pedal?

You'd have to get with Tavo, Daniel.. He usually asks what pickups and amp you're running through. I play mostly humbuckers through a Hot Rod Deville so he recommended the dyno Brain, for me.

does whiskey count as an effect?

– Daniel Weldon

That's Affect, right?

So, is it time to sell off my Atomic Brain and my Billy Brain and plunge full into the Mystery Brain? I hear good things, but how do they compare to each other?

You can't sell both those brains (pick one), but you do need to plunge into the Mystery. It has the preamp bit like yer brains there, and that's handy - kinda like a utility, if you willity - but the voodoo in the MB is in the delay and its modulation whacker knob. I don't know what, if anything, it's supposed to "emulate," this or that perhaps, but to me it has its own character.

Slapback and tape echo artifacts are not something I live or die by, so don't take as sworn gospel any of my representations about how well the MB does them. They're good enough for me, working as well in context as similar settings on the magisterial El Capistan - and maybe a little better than from a Dlx Memory Man (my first and still a favorite delay pedal). So there's the other blade in this little swiss army pedal's utilitarian sheath: preamp grittsch and rockabilly slapback in one convenient box.

But if that's all it did, I wouldn't have felt compelled to spring for it. (Not that that's not enough: others for whom those two functions are 66-100% of their pedalboard needs likely find that basic spec sufficient for purchase.)

The magic for me is in the interaction between longer delay times and the cwazy cwazy modulation. I think it actually out-Memoryzes the Memory Man in gooey, shiny, slippery, convoluted wavy waves of delambience which lay perfectly in a gig mix. Abundant atmosphere and texture, perfectly clear enough to see drunkenly through if you've a mind to gaze into the abyss - but without overwhelming the musical content (if any) on top.

It just kinda takes you there, and then you get to figure out where there is. Great fun.

This train makes every stop along the line from the upright oldschool butch-waxed slapback regime to the long-haired far-out wobbly Pink Floyd echofest, and does it all in lush comfort. It's a mystery indeed.

(Do NOT tell Tavo about this last bit. He didn't know it would do that, and he doesn't really like hippies.)

– Proteus

I cant approve of hippies online because it would validate my wife, I hope you understand.

ps. I love Pink Floyd although I only became cognitive of their existence w The Wall. I had to work backwards later. Though I love Animals, I listen to Pulse constantly, dont hate.

Pink Floyd are hippies? So it's not upper middle class slick-over produced boomer/lawyer rock?

I like this Pink Floyd record (the first one) that is from the actual psychedelic hippie era, and that's a british-buillt Copicat tape echo you're hearing all over the place..

I'm with Walter. When Pink Floyd gave up on Wind In The Willows, I gave up on Pink Floyd.

Register Sign in to join the conversation