Modern Gretsch Guitars

ya, because tone is all in the fingers, real players dont use effec…

what???

tavo don't go where his ears and passion don't take him!!..if he was purely out for the buck he wouldnt be catering to us gretsch fanatics!!

and spending his profits on tk gear!! hah

back off

cheers

I like Tavo's Brain pedals, in fact I got two of 'em, a Billy Brain, and an Atomic Brain, and my tone is nothing like Brian's, and I'm not a Rockabilly guy, so pffft!

I had one of those Roland Space Echos very early on when it came with the purchase of my first real electric guitar, a beat to death '52 Les Paul Goldtop.

Give me my memory man, carbon copy, etc...for delay. I like the Brains because they make the guitar sound better to my ears. It's like an amp enhancer.

Good chit, mon!

ps- we should all be so happy that we have guys with deep respect, knowledge and experience here, who build things...for us!!!...that attempt to make us sound like how we want a guitar to sound...so many guys here...great builders/craftsfolk...don't even want to start listing...but kudos all!!!

cheers

But, to suggest that this is some form of guerrilla marketing that Tavo is engaging in...

Everybody knows Tavo only engages in GORILLA marketing.

Maybe Tavo is repeating himself, but I get it because I have been there... I use very few FX, especially when I was playing rockabilly. But I would be attacked at gigs by the rockabilly police for using ANY FX - "they didn't have that stuff in the 50s man!" To which I would reply (to deaf ears) Well Scotty Moore had tape echo built into his amp - or no, they didn't have pedals, but if they had they sure would have used 'em! Scotty himself said so.

There is a smug section amongst the guitar playing population who think themselves superior simply because they haven't worked out that supplementing the electronics of their amp can help them sound better, or at least different. If you can get all the sounds you need simply by plugging a guitar into an amp that is fantastic. But it doesn't make you any better a person than the guy who wants to use a pedal or two to realise their sound. These days with volumes being reduced to conversation levels it is difficult to produce a compelling sound without the odd pedal or two.

I will stop defending the use of FX when the smug gits at my gigs stop telling me "I don't need those pedals - tone is in the fingers" as if they are so much better than me. It gets old.

I played with a semi well known blues guy that was always disapproving of my rather sparse use of pedals. His original guy, who still plays with him on dates, was a straight into a twin no effects guy. Sounded great, sounded LOUD. So loud that they resorted to throwing blankets over the amp to calm down the club owners. Now that's an effect you don't want, or should I say "bypass".

We have the string gauge police (if you play anything less than 12-56's on an electric you have no tone) and the effects police (if you need effects to get your sound you can't play). Personally, I play really bad with or without effects and with any string gauge . If anything, I'm consistent .

This is just so strange to me - I've never encountered a complaint about effects (I use a delay sometimes) or strings (.10s) in literally decades of playing. There's a really interesting article I am going to post on the subject you all might enjoy though if I can find it.

I have played through 50 and 100W Marshall plexis a few times, both actual vintage Marshalls and modern repros - I have even built a couple of '68 style repro Marshall 50w plexis myself. They can sound absolutely incredible if you dial them in right, and that doesn't mean everything on 11. Most of them, if you have the channels linked and put both volumes at around noon or a little higher, will give you the tones you have only dreamt about. When you get a good one the sound is so ridiculously incredible and responsive you think how could I play anything else? Not exactly rockabilly, but it is such a great sound.

Oh, and it's also REALLY LOUD! And I have never heard an amp sound so good but quieter. Master volumes just can't get you there. But a good pedal can get you very close. Or at least get you a sound which inspires you to play in a manner you can't any other way.

Shouldn't this have been posted in other players or equipment?

Cool picture Tavo!

BTW I'm an FX junkie

Second from the bottom is an RE-201. I rebuilt all five of those SpaceEchos and that amp.

Right On! Yeah! Whatever!!

– WB

Yeah...no doubt. I once saw Deke Dickerson who plugged his guitar straight into the amp and he sounded great. I'm sure Setzer could do the same. I'm not really sure about the point of all of this...Chet Atkins used the Echosonic for a while but he didn't "depend" on it. The fact is that even Setzer would sound like Setzer with or without a gazillion Space Echoes. Like it or not, tone is in the fingers.

I agree with you! The point is that some folks get all high and mighty that using nothing but guitar and amp is the ONLY way to play. I believe that it doesn't matter what you put between yourself and the amp as long as it sounds good and right for the song. I will sound like me through any rig, but I prefer to use my gear with a few choice pedals to get the sound I am happy with. Some folks see that as being an inferior way of playing. I will sound like me with any gear but I want a specific sound for a specific song. Just as a trumpeter will use a different mute for a part to achieve a particular sound, or a violinist with use a mute or play pizzicato, or a keyboard player will use a different keyboard. I have been told I am wrong for playing rockabilly with a couple of pedals. Can you imagine Flying Saucer Rock'n'Roll played with no drive? I want to play the song with the right sound, and if you play a range of songs by different artists you need a range of sounds.

That is what I have come up against and I think it's dumb. It's people listening with their eyes, not their ears.

I have had the opposite experience. Typically, I don't use effects, or very few. Whenever I mention to someone that I don't use effects often, I get a 10 minute lecture on how they're sick of people "like me" acting high and mighty. Typically...methinks thou dost protest too much.

once saw Deke Dickerson who plugged his guitar straight into the amp and he sounded great.

If it was his usual Rockabilly gig, he must have forgotten his delay pedal, because he always uses one for that.

Whatever works. I like what I like to call "the holy trinity of guitar effects", echo, tremolo and spring reverb. If someone sounds great, it doesn't really matter what they use or don't use, does it?

• If someone sounds great, it doesn't really matter what they use or don't use, does it?* - WB

Right on.

once saw Deke Dickerson who plugged his guitar straight into the amp and he sounded great.

If it was his usual Rockabilly gig, he must have forgotten his delay pedal, because he always uses one for that.

Whatever works. I like what I like to call "the holy trinity of guitar effects", echo, tremolo and spring reverb. If someone sounds great, it doesn't really matter what they use or don't use, does it?

– WB

Certainly but it also doesn't mean that one cannot sound good if they don't use effects. Like I said, I don't really get the OP's point. Plenty of jazzers sound great dry.

Not using fx is an odd high ground to take . I was reading through another forum and someone had asked 'what reverb pedal for a tweed amp' He received the tosser answer 'guitar-lead-amp...'nuff said' .

To me trem, reverb and slapback are essential

If the effect is built in the amp like reverb i think it sounds good. To me surf ,rockabilly started out as a pure natural music, Too much effects ruins the feel of the sound. I do play effects but i think they should be used like a chef uses salt and pepper, just use enough to season the sound. i brought a wah pedal to a band practice because the lead singer wanted me to put a lead guitar to his song and when i heard it i kept hearing a wah pedal in certain areas of the song, so i bought a wah pedal just for one song,the bass player said man when i seen that wah wah i thought you were goig to use it on every song but you didn't, i said no i only use effects like salt and pepper. but to tell you the truth i think when you play a nice tone monster guitar in a fender tube amp that nothing sounds better than plugging straight into the amp because effects seem to take away that natural awesome sound.

Did he use a Space Echo on the first two Stray Cats albums? His tone sounded good then.

of course he sounded good!! haha...he was being produced by the great genius player and producer- dave edmunds

daves secret weapons back then were the emt plate reverb...and the eventide harmonizer

cheers

But aren't pedals and effects an addiction?

And Reverb and Tremolo natural like Echoes and Waves?

Tone is in the toes. Thanks Tavo.

Someone once remarked to me that they "play guitar, not pedals."

I just smiled, but thought "I play music."

Aw Jack, you win! If I ever get grief from the rockabilly police - or any of those dudes who think they are better because they can't work out pedals - again, I will quote you.

Register Sign in to join the conversation