Modern Gretsch Guitars

ya, because tone is all in the fingers, real players dont use effec…

I love this picture, it pokes the boneheads that love to dribble on that real players dont need effects, ad nauseam.. Here is a gretsch master who finds it so very important to include a multi effects analog unit ( the Roland RE-301 space echo which is comprised of a preamp w gain control, an analog chorus, a solid state reverb tank, and a mechanical tape echo) that he takes a small army of them on tour with him so that he is NEVER, EVER without one between his guitar and his amplifier.

Why??

Because that preamp and that echo is integral to HIS sound and playing. Just as this is the case w so many other famous guitarists.

This photo here is just perfect on so many levels, this is before the show at the hollywood bowl this evening here in southern california. #gretschmafia

I personally don't really play with any effects except a delay pedal occasionally but I would never try to tell another player what they should or should not play. The only rules a musician should follow should be self imposed.

Great picture!

I love this picture, it pokes the boneheads that love to dribble on that real players dont need effects, ad nauseam.. Here is a gretsch master who finds it so very important to include a multi effects analog unit ( the Roland RE-301 space echo which is comprised of a preamp w gain control, an analog chorus, a solid state reverb tank, and a mechanical tape echo) that he takes a small army of them on tour with him so that he is NEVER, EVER without one between his guitar and his amplifier.

Why??

Because that preamp and that echo is integral to HIS sound and playing. Just as this is the case w so many other famous guitarists.

This photo here is just perfect on so many levels, this is before the show at the hollywood bowl this evening here in southern california. #gretschmafia

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™ (actually loves hippies)

At risk of repeating yourself. . .

Sound is in the ear. Any processing that helps the guitarist realize the sound they are hearing is valid, along with the hands, amp, pickups, et al. Cool photo Tavo.

Tone is in the hands AND the gear... I never understand why people keep trying to make this an "either/or" proposition...

Here's a good one... Eric Johnson playing Zakk Wylde's rig sounding like.... Eric Johnson

Wondering what that RE201 is doing in there

This is something I agree quite emphatically with Tavo about. Who started making these dumb rules? When was rock'n'roll about rules? Electric guitar is, well, electric. Whatever happens to the electronic signal is all electrical. Until it comes out of a speaker and either moves you or it doesn't. That part is up to the relationship between the player and listener, and has very little to do with where that electrical signal has been.

I'm not a fan of using a lot of effects myself - I do like a bit of delay, reverb and dirt and that's pretty much it. But I love some players who use loads of effects just as much as those I love who don't.

I once even heard a song I liked which had piano accordian on it.

Right on, Tavo. I have a big ol' board and it's fun to do some tap dancing while playing. It's so much fun that it should be illegal.

If anything, listeners like that I vary my tones up in a set. I have heard complaints of ear fatigue when listening to a festival full of guitarists who are "straight into the amp" kind of guys. One's ears can only stand a plank into a cranked Super Reverb for so long...

As a bonus, it's always a fun surprise to hear the strange and perverse sounds that some pedals make with Filtertrons!

Right On! Yeah! Whatever!!

Hey Walter! I think you meant.....I know, Right? (wink) Ha!

The Space Echos look really cool with the blonde tolex. Lately I've been experimenting more with delay after years of swearing that I couldn't make it work for me. It helps that I've recently pickup up a couple really cool delay boxes. I've also been playing around with octave boxes that make my guitar sound like an organ. There's a lot of really cool effects technology out there these days to help make awesome and creative guitar sounds. At the end of the day, all that matters is whether you use them for good or evil.

"I agree with whatever gets me more votes." - Mayor Quimby

"I agree with whatever gets me more votes." - Mayor Quimby

– crowbone

"Splunge for me, too."

The fingers that fret and pluck the strings also twist the knobs on the amp and FX. It IS all in the fingers. Still, it is only one device that Brian uses.

"Splunge for me, too."

The fingers that fret and pluck the strings also twist the knobs on the amp and FX. It IS all in the fingers. Still, it is only one device that Brian uses.

– wabash slim

One device? How's that?its an 80s rack effect box. preamp, tape echo, reverb, chorus. He hasnt used the chorus since Jade Idol but still.. its the equivalent of a pedal board it just sits up on his amp.

Yeah? Okay. Especially for the people who worry about this kind of stuff.

One day I guess some toad will make a solid state copy of that old RE 301 and we'll have to put up with more and more recitations about what Setzer uses to get his tone.

They may even use that as a marketing tool to sell it here to those who might think BS has good tone.

Yeah! Come the revolution, those people should be put up against a wall and shot! Stupid people, thinking things and stuff! They'll have to take my pedal board from my cold, dead fingers!

Two things amaze me about this subject:

First, just how strongly the partisans on the extreme of either side of the issue feel.

Secondly, just how little the rest of us care.

One day I guess some toad will make a solid state copy of that old RE 301 and we'll have to put up with more and more recitations about what Setzer uses to get his tone.

They may even use that as a marketing tool to sell it here to those who might think BS has good tone.

– Gretschmen65

Gretsch has been pretty successful w a majority of folks who know Brian Setzer has great tone, so any talk about Brian Setzer is a great marketing tool for the line of products on Gretsch spends most of their time and care. Heck any talk around here about gretsch guitars and rockabilly in general is a great thing. And yes Brian Setzer has incredible Gretsch tone, most gretsch players will agree. Some of us more so.

Congratulations to Brian celebrating 25 years of the BSO, and 25 years as a Gretsch signature artist. It is fantastic all that he has done for the guitar, and needless to say, for Gretsch.

Congratulations to Brian celebrating 25 years of the BSO, and 25 years as a Gretsch signature artist. It is fantastic all that he has done for the guitar, and needless to say, for Gretsch.

– Deed Eddy

He was even kind enough to ask Jd McPherson Band to open for them, thats some great exposure.. JD now though needs to get a proper gretsch, dontcha think? (ps. and when is gretsch releasing that Duane Eddy 6 string Bass for the civilians!!?)

This picture sez " The Minister of Twang has given this kid religion" :)

– Deed Eddy

With due respect Deed I totally support your endorsement of Brian Setzer and what he has achieved as a musician and for Gretsch. But seriously that is not what this thread is about.

If the OP really wanted to show how "tone in the hands" was enhanced by the use of multiple effects he could have showwn a picture of Billy Duffy's pedal board of 10 or so pedals. He didn't because there is no RE-301 anywhere to be seen.

It is no coincidence that the poster manufactures and sells a range of pedals which purport to reproduce the "magic" of various parts of the RE-301.

I don't care whether great players like Duane, Setzer and Chet play/played straight to the amp or through multi effect units. Let's just be up front and see it for what it is.

IMO it is about marketing a product and I for one am over it.

This is actually a debate that has been ongoing among guitar players for years. So, it certainly is a pertinent topic (again) on the GDP or any other guitar forum.

As for anyone who has been around the GDP for any length of time, we all know that Tavo manufactures the Nocturne brand of effects pedals. There is no secret about that. A very many of us even have one or more of them.

So, when I see a thread started by Tavo which touts the acceptability of using pedals, I already know which side of the debate he is on. So, I am not offended by it. But, to suggest that this is some form of guerrilla marketing that Tavo is engaging in is a little over the top, with all due respect. I don't think that he needs to use guerrilla marketing on the GDP or G-T sites as he is always very open regarding his products and any new developments with them. I could be mistaken, but I surmise that you may be in a distinct minority if you are put off by Tavo's threads or his remarks that reference any of his products. We like them (the products). And we like him (at least most of us do).

This is actually a debate that has been ongoing among guitar players for years. So, it certainly is a pertinent topic (again) on the GDP or any other guitar forum.

As for anyone who has been around the GDP for any length of time, we all know that Tavo manufactures the Nocturne brand of effects pedals. There is no secret about that. A very many of us even have one or more of them.

So, when I see a thread started by Tavo which touts the acceptability of using pedals, I already know which side of the debate he is on. So, I am not offended by it. But, to suggest that this is some form of guerrilla marketing that Tavo is engaging in is a little over the top, with all due respect. I don't think that he needs to use guerrilla marketing on the GDP or G-T sites as he is always very open regarding his products and any new developments with them. I could be mistaken, but I surmise that you may be in a distinct minority if you are put off by Tavo's threads or his remarks that reference any of his products. We like them (the products). And we like him (at least most of us do).

– Ric12string

Well said, Ric12srting!! My thoughts exactly.

My reading of Tavo's threads over the years and my purchase transactions with him leave me with a clear sense that the man is and honest and honorable businessman. No tricks, no phony marketing, etc. -- just true and honest communications.

Register Sign in to join the conversation