Modern Gretsch Guitars

wide neck frenzy

in the 6120 stereo model thread it was stated

"It’s basically a 6120, except the neck is 1 3/4” at the nut."

Guessing then it's same 24.5 Gretsch scale... but

Are there any other Modern World models that are a full 1 3/4" nut and bigger frets

Neck widths you can't change, profiles you can by sanding down, but of course you can't make thicker! Frets: easily replaceable with anything you want.

What dates are you considering for Modern World? Pre or post FMIC or back to Baldwin era?

I guess I just meant are any other models 1 3/4" wide at the nut like this one is.... since isn't the standard of all 1990- forward Gretsch at 1 11/16th?

For me anymore, it's 1 3/4" or go home which is why I am so eaten up with the Rick 650 -- going to have a new 650 family member to show pretty soon.

. I always called the Gretsches after the 1980s' aka Decade of No Gretsch, to be 'Modern World Gretsch". No one else does cause it's just weird, but I like it

Baldiwn is old-skool Gretsch.

The '59 Gent reissue (G6122T-59) has a 1.75" nut width, but it has 25.5" scale.

The '59 Gent reissue (G6122T-59) has a 1.75" nut width, but it has 25.5" scale.

– Caliban335

...and that just kills me cause a single-cut Gent with a 24.5" (or 24.6" notthatIcantellthedifference) would be sooo cool.

It’s only a 1/16 of an inch difference!

I was looking at some Eastman semi-hollow bodies a few months ago. I think all laminate and carved solid wood top models are 1 3/4" at the nut.

I know this is in the Modern Gretsch section but just thought I'd put it out there.

https://www.eastmanguitars....

FWIW, I have a Loar LH-279-VS for sale. Short scale and 1.75" nut width.

LH-279-VS

It’s only a 1/16 of an inch difference!

– Hipbone

I'm guessing you aren't a fingerstyle player. For those of us who play fingerstyle, 1/16" is huge! A small amount of extra space between strings can make the difference between a neighboring string ringing or getting muted. I play a lot of positions where the string, whether an open string or another fretted note needs to be played and ring while you adjust your left hand position. A narrow neck and associated narrower string spacing creates aggravating muting issues.

I always have new nuts installed to further extend the space between stings by having the slots cut to take advantage of the extra fingerboard width provided by the binding. For me, there aren't many guitars made that has the slots cut as close to the outer edge of the binding as I want. Using some new guitars as an example, I can gain 3/64 - 1/16" just by having a new nut cut to my liking.

Playing rhythm or single string/note work doesn't require the small differences in extra distance between strings us fingerstyle players appreciate. Different strokes for different folks/styles.

I own an Eastman T486b and the quality is much better than the (2) Gibby 335's I had. And yes the 1-3/4" nut width is sweet. 1/16" is a sweet huge upgrade for some of us folks.

I hate wide necks myself. It's much harder to find a narrow neck than wide, unless you play Fender. In fact, I'm almost exclusively play teles now, because of that. Try to find a hollowbody with 1 5/8 neck! I guess as you get older, stuff like that matters, you hands are more sensitive or something...

I think I played some old Gretsches with 1 5/8 necks, but there are no current models like that, correct?

i was a little scared about it at first. i briefly tried an elitist epiphone country gentleman (the gibson chet alike) and thought it was sweet, but i noticed the nut width. i felt it, and that scared me. so did the $1800 or so, but that's a different story.

later in life, i just went for it and ended up with two acoustics with 1 3/4 nuts, a long scale, 12 fret yairi and a short scale guild m20. and i love them both. so very, very much. two of my favorites.

and it got me thinking. i'm not a fingerstyle player. each guitar inspires different things, but i'm basically the same person on every guitar. i don't have the shred guitar and the metal guitar and the country guitar and so on. so i could deal with it. i would consider a wider nut electric. lord knows i've tried to get my hands on a 6122 1959 but that never worked out. i don't see it as a plus or a feature. i don't think i like it more than the standard 1 11/16". i doubt that i'd pick it over 1 11/16". i just understand that it'll have certain strengths, weaknesses and characteristics that the 1 11/16" doesn't. i might play it a little differently and that's ok, provided i'm not looking for a new #1.

accept it, welcome it and love it. that's my thinking on that.

I think it's as much to do with (if not entirely) hand and finger size as it is with playing style.

I think it's as much to do with (if not entirely) hand and finger size as it is with playing style.

– Toxophilite

I think so too! My hands are not particularly small, but the way I grip the neck I always feel a fatigue on a wide fretboard, and perfectly fine on the narrow ones. Also helps a small radius.

Style wise I play mostly swing rhythm strumming with 'broken' chord and double stop solos all over the neck, a lot of mini barres.

What are anyone else thoughts on how a style affects the preference?

I've only ever had one vintage Gretsch, a '57 Country Gentleman, with a 1 3/4" neck width and I found it decidedly uncomfortable. I'm sure the odd profile and longer scale were factors too, but it really is surprising how much you can feel that little bit of extra width.

Register Sign in to join the conversation