Modern Gretsch Guitars

Why no Pro Jets in the box stores?

So because of YOU guys I have been wanting to check out the pro series Jet. None of the Guitar Centers in Dallas (3) have one nor does Sam Ash.

Seems like I have seen them in these stores before but I've been checking different stores out for the last month and nothing.

Their selection of any pro (Japanese) Gretsches is marginal at best. But again, in the past they would usually have a couple or even a few on hand. They got zillion dollar hollow body Gibsons but zero 6120s (ok maybe one store had one). It has not always been like this

Is this just post Christmas limited inventories or is it typical for stores like these to be heavy on GibFenders and not much more? If I had a dime for every Les Paul they have in stock, well I'd have me a pocketful of dimes.

To their credit they all have a respectable collection 54xxs for sale.

The Guitar Centers here (DFW) are always heavy on Gibson/Fender and Gretsch has almost always been an afterthought. I was impressed the last few times I stopped in that they were carrying more Gretsch inventory than in the past.

Some of the smaller guitar stores Toneshop (Addision), Murphy (Irving) also carry some Gretsches but I don't know if they have the Pro Jet.

The Guitar Centers here (DFW) are always heavy on Gibson/Fender and Gretsch has almost always been an afterthought. I was impressed the last few times I stopped in that they were carrying more Gretsch inventory than in the past.

Some of the smaller guitar stores Toneshop (Addision), Murphy (Irving) also carry some Gretsches but I don't know if they have the Pro Jet.

– Devil's Tool

Which GC store impressed you? I usually go to the one on LBJ or the one on Central (Dallas) I have not been by the Plano store since prior to Christmas.

Have you been to Archie's Guitars in Richardson? Great shop, great people, I bought a 5420 from them last week. They carry Gretsch but not the Pro Series yet.

I have never been to Toneshop.

Most GC 's and Sam Ash usually have a very low number of Gretsch's on inventory, all the ones Ive ever been in usually have about 6 or less on hand.

Why do you want a Pro Jet ? I own one and it was my gateway drug into Gretsch guitars. My Pro jet sits in a case in the rafters of my garage. Great Guitar but I use my 6118 with Powertrons for everything I play.

I haven't been to Archie's although I see ads for them on Instagram all the time.

I'm not normally roaming the GC's, I think all of them are pretty much the same. If I go to one it's usually the one on 635, but it's always been comparable to plano or dallas proper.

Toneshop I was really impressed with. It's a huge space and there's plenty of room to try stuff out, unlike GC where everything is mashed together and you'll hit an amp looking in another direction.

There were smaller shops in fort worth that I liked too but it's been a long while.....Gretsch is not a hard and heavy brand up here, most times I have bought mine online.

Most GC 's and Sam Ash usually have a very low number of Gretsch's on inventory, all the ones Ive ever been in usually have about 6 or less on hand.

Why do you want a Pro Jet ? I own one and it was my gateway drug into Gretsch guitars. My Pro jet sits in a case in the rafters of my garage. Great Guitar but I use my 6118 with Powertrons for everything I play.

– LA_Manny

At this point I just want to play one (or two or however many a store has in stock), I'm not in the market to buy anytime soon, I just want to see if it's something I want to put on my radar.

My solid body guitar is a Telecaster and I'm increasingly curious about the pro Jet(s).

I just bought my second Gretsch and I might be on my way to developing an addiction.

At this point I just want to play one (or two or however many a store has in stock), I'm not in the market to buy anytime soon, I just want to see if it's something I want to put on my radar.

My solid body guitar is a Telecaster and I'm increasingly curious about the pro Jet(s).

I just bought my second Gretsch and I might be on my way to developing an addiction.

– Mr_Christopher

If you really want to try out a large amount of Gretsch's your best bet is to forego the guitar shops and hit up the next Nashville Roundup. You will be in Gretsch overload with every Gretsch guitar imaginable there ,and nobody will deny you the opportunity to give their Gretsch a spin as everybody is very friendly with their Gear.

and you might make alot of new friends too.

I'm confused. Are you referring to a "Pro Jet" model (which is an Electromatic series, made in China), or are you referring to a PRO LINE Jet model (Duo Jet, Power Jet, etc. made in Japan)?

Two entirely different things-- and yes, the names can be confusing.

My guitar center would happily order and gretsch i wanted to try. No pressure to buy. Ask them to get whatever model tou want shipped to the store, if you dont want it after trying it, just say no. (Good luck with that!)

Guitar Centers in my area (central eastern PA) generally carry very few (if any) Pro Line Gretsch examples.

I buy from a "small" dealer (D'town Guitars, Doylestown, PA) who has always had several (6 or more) Pro Lines in stock. He typically has 250-300 guitars in stock. I've asked him several times over the years if "business is good" selling Gretsch -- sadly his answer is always "no". Over the last 2-3 years I've noticed that he's had the same (gorgeous) Pro Lines in his shop including two fabulous pieces he showed at the Philly Guitar Show 2 (?) years ago -- a gorgeous midnight blue Penguin and a "to die for" Koa 6120, as well as a White Falcon, a 2012 (?) Anniversary JR (black? top, gold sides and back -- see photo).......

The guy does a big business. In recent years BOTH Gibson and Martin came after him to become a dealer.

D town is real nice.

Mentioned in my earlier post, here are the two guitars mentioned that D'town Guitars showed at the Nov., 2015 Philly Guitar Show. Sorry -- the photo does not do them justice.....

It’s amazing that these two guitars are still in the store. Seven or eight years ago my local brick and mortar store had numerous Pro-lines. They were sold one by one and not replaced. For a while they had no Gretsches and now just have Electromatics on the wall. Maybe just a sign of the times?

Think about this guys. If we didn't have the internet to educate us about everything really, but as applies to our passion for guitars, Gretsch in particular, and we had to rely on our local guitar stores to learn about what new models are coming along, many amongst our membership would be woefully ignorant of what's available. These two stunning guitars are a good example.

On the other hand, we would more than likely still have those wonderfully eclectic mom & pop shops that were always so much fun to visit and poke around in.....pawn shops too. Progress isn't always such a good thing.

Stores like Guitar Center or Sam Ash never carry pro anything....not even strings or picks. It's all entry level crap.

L&M in Victoria often has a half-dozen MIJ Gretsches on the floor and one or two pro-lines hanging up. Can't say that it's the same for the whole chain, but on the Island at least, they do always seem to have at least a couple.

If they stocked Pro Jets, the LPs wouldn't sell then.

D town is in the richest part of the philly burbs. Very wealthy area. The acoustics cost more than the pro line gretsches. Alarms and steel bars on the windows.

well it's not a big deal I suppose, I won't be able to afford one for some time. I'll just keep my eyes open. When I have a pocketful of cash I might ask GC to get one in the store for me to consider.

Oh and I meant the Pro-Line, I see plenty Electromatic Pro Jets in stores.

G-Town is a really nice shop. An independently owned guitar shop that stocks Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, Guild, Martin, etc from entry level models to Custom shop stuff is a rarity these days. They also sell and build skateboards and used vinyl, how cool is that?

If you can stand it, wait for the Arlington Guitar Show or the Dallas Guitar show - which are easily the biggest shows I've been to - ever. There's lots of dealers that bring new pro-line models. Arlington show just happened a month or so ago, I think the Dallas guitar show is coming up? I'm partial to the Arlington show myself, but they're both huge.

http://www.amigoguitarshows...

http://www.guitarshow.com/

Register Sign in to join the conversation