Modern Gretsch Guitars

Why Do They Call It A Silver Falcon…

...if the darn thing is black?

It's not gold, hence it's silver.

Was wondering the same thing.

Silver binding, etc., chrome appointments.

It's Gretsch. Quirkiness is valued more than accurate nomenclature.

"..none more black."

Probably due to the (silver) chrome hardware. Frankly, of all of the Falcons, I think the Silver Falcon is the best - it doesn't look as blingy as the other ones (I don't like guitars with a ton of bling).

Probably due to the (silver) chrome hardware. Frankly, of all of the Falcons, I think the Silver Falcon is the best - it doesn't look as blingy as the other ones (I don't like guitars with a ton of bling).

– EllenGtrGrl

I agree. It's beautiful. Following the logic of the hardware is silver, hence Silver Falcon, what about the White Falcon?

That Great Gretsch Logic! Haha.

I'm not bothered by it, but Black Falcon has a nice ring to it, too, plus, I'd love to see a Silver Falcon, I mean, it'd probably be chrome, but I'm sure it would look phenomenal.

Because a Black Falcon has gold parts?

– Don Birchett

Ahhh!

It costs lots of silver?

White Falcon is white with gold binding and accessories. Black Falcon is black with gold binding and accessories. Ok, so far/ so good.

Then comes the Black Falcon with silver binding and chrome accessories, so they called it the Silver Falcon.

Then there is the White Falcon with silver binding and chrome accessories and they called it ...the Billy Duffy Falcon.

Then...the Lake Placid Blue Falcon...in Lake Placid Blue with silver binding and chrome accessories, and I call it MINE! LOL!

They need to make one in flat satin black and call it The Maltese Falcon... with the Maltese cross on the headstock and a caricature of Humphrey Bogart on the pickguard! LOL! ( maybe too obscure a reference? See, there was this movie way back in the day...)

It'd be the bees' knees if the metal parts were actual silver-plate!

They need to make one in flat satin black and call it The Maltese Falcon

Oh man, that is SO overdue! Absolutely slam-dunk obvious winner. Clearly meant to be. It's so obviously Right that merely mentioning it should bring it into being.

White Falcon is white with gold binding and accessories. Black Falcon is black with gold binding and accessories. Ok, so far/ so good.

Then comes the Black Falcon with silver binding and chrome accessories, so they called it the Silver Falcon.

Then there is the White Falcon with silver binding and chrome accessories and they called it ...the Billy Duffy Falcon.

Then...the Lake Placid Blue Falcon...in Lake Placid Blue with silver binding and chrome accessories, and I call it MINE! LOL!

They need to make one in flat satin black and call it The Maltese Falcon... with the Maltese cross on the headstock and a caricature of Humphrey Bogart on the pickguard! LOL! ( maybe too obscure a reference? See, there was this movie way back in the day...)

– Steve

I'd absolutely get a flat satin black Maltese Falcon if they do one at a non-custom shop level cost.

Or, I can just get the black 5410T flat black Rat Rod and create my own.

In any case, a brilliant idea, Steve.

I'd absolutely get a flat satin black Maltese Falcon if they do one at a non-custom shop level cost.

Or, I can just get the black 5410T flat black Rat Rod and create my own.

In any case, a brilliant idea, Steve.

– Surfysonic

They'll call it the Tim Armstrong Maltese Falcon!

A true silver falcon. Unfortunately I can't take a photo that truly shows the beauty of the QuickSilver Falcon

Unfortunately I can't take a photo that truly shows the beauty of the QuickSilver Falcon

That’s OK, Scott, I can vouch for it.

It'd be the bees' knees if the metal parts were actual silver-plate!

– DaveH

The only problem is that the silver would probably oxidize over time, turning it into the "Really Black Falcon." You'd have to spend a fair amount of time polishing the hardware, to keep it from tarnishing to a black color.

A true silver falcon. Unfortunately I can't take a photo that truly shows the beauty of the QuickSilver Falcon

– RcktBrewMan

Hmmmm, that looks cool! I could get into that.

That's what a Silver Falcon should look like!

– Steve

"I wanted it, and I'm not a man that's easily discouraged when he wants something."

“ the stuff DREAMS are made of”.

Paging Joe Carducci...

Register Sign in to join the conversation