Modern Gretsch Guitars

Who’s up for a custom-color Electromatic 12-string?

Hit me up when people want to organize an FSR baritone hollow body....with Dynas. This color would do. Or...you know...a dark wine red...

Bumping the thread to see if there are any further developments. I know it's a busy time and all, but this seems like a really good idea.

It's an idea my tax refund could be put to.... but that's several months down the road. Plus I'd need Karen's permish.

There ARE developments, of a desultory sort.

Rocky checked, and the order is now for 30 units. He will discuss it with the be-powers at NAMM in January. It sounded like a truly custom color (ie, bluer than the 2017 Electromatic Cadillac green seen on the 6-string 5422) would be a likely non-starter. So the request will be for that green that looks too blue to be Cadillac to some guys, but is attractive in its own right to others, and sure looks bluish in the reference picture that begins the thread.

He says to expect any custom batch to take a year or so.

That's awhile for impatient, indecisive, impecunius, and impulsive musicians to wait (ooh look, shiny! a chrome-plated squirrel!)...but on the other hand it's fur enough in the future to save up for.

I also spoke with Cap'n Joey C about it, and he confirmed a dealer FSR was probably the way to go. Nother words, he didn't shout "OMG THAT'S THE BEST IDEA EVER, we're totally going to do it IMMEDIATELY, and everyone in the thread gets one free!"

Ah well.

Maybe good things will come to those who wait?

A baritone would be cool - but I'd prefer it on the 5422 platform as well. Dark wine red would be nice.

Sigh.... a bue 12 and now a wine red bari.... Prot- you're positively KILLIN' me, here!

I’m starting my New Year’s resolution a bit early. I often say “yes” when I want to say “no” just to get along. This year I’m going to try to be more honest and represent myself as close as I can to my actual self as I can. Here is my first post to this end.

My whole interest in this notion began with my excitement/disappointment 2 years ago with the announcement/tease of a MF special run of a 5422-12 in natural. I was ready to spring for it then but it never materialized. Dispite my very sensible and deeply held belief that there is no excuse for a blue guitar, my inability to resist going along, the warm lighting of the pic on the first post of this thread and my fascination with green guitars dragged me along with this project. As this imaginary 12 string has been inching it’s way toward blue and as my need for a 12string is at best mild, I’m sort of relieved that this is becoming less likely to happen. I’m still a go if y’all are, but my enthusiasm may be a bit put on. Perhaps I should just find a black one and sand the paint off. There. Natural. ;?/

Would it work if, say, 3 different dealers ordered 10 each to meet the 30 unit requirement? It would spread the risk of not being able to move them all reasonably promptly. Or would they all need to be invoiced and shipped to the same dealer?

Or maybe this is what Rocky is thinking about NAMM --- possibly finding a few other dealers to go in on it together.

Attsa good idea! Don't know how they'd work it out, but it makes some sense. (Except...well, maybe not. It would then let those dealers COMPETE for this business, which might not work.)

For me, the trick would be to have one find it's way north of the 49th parallel...

I'm pretty sure that in the past multiple dealers have split FSR orders. I recall Joel at Shanghai talking about it. I don't know how it was accomplished.

If Rocky can get lefties made of this 5422-12, I'm in.

Paul/FF909

I might commit crimes for a dark wine red baritone.

From Proteus: "I also spoke with Cap'n Joey C about it, and he confirmed a dealer FSR was probably the way to go. Nother words, he didn't shout "OMG THAT'S THE BEST IDEA EVER, we're totally going to do it IMMEDIATELY, and everyone in the thread gets one free!"

Well...here's my contribution to this thread!

Register Sign in to join the conversation