Modern Gretsch Guitars

White Penguin side markers

The tiny black fret markers get lost in the gold sparkle binding. Has anyone replaced them with red jewels to match the control knobs? Seems like it would be fairly easy to do.

Was it Roy Buchannan that used zircons?

Was it Roy Buchannan that used zircons?

– wabash slim

Danny Gatton!

I've wondered what size "jewels" are used on the knobs as those are handy in low light situations.

1/8" or less. Not too sure what that'd be in carats. I don't know what red jewels would look like on the sparkly gold binding on a Penguin, but, contrast is highly important. Stage lighting isn't all that useful for the musician---it's meant for the audience.

Well I guess I'll have to find some and give it a try. I'm thinking they will show up nice in the gold binding. I'm surprised the custom shop hasn't done this. I can't be the only one that can't see those tiny black dots.

Thanks Olivia. Have you used these? 2mm seems kinda small. The original black dots are tiny, I'm thinking it would be benifical to use something a tad bigger. Just curious if you or some else has used these and if they are visible enough to work on stage.
I sing and play and most of the time get just a short glance down at the neck for location reference.

Got exactly the same problem with my Silver Falcon.

I ordered some "red jewels" that are 4.6mm I will let you know how it turns out. As a lefty I have taken and flipped right handed guitars over and created fret markers in the binding. I don't see how this will be any different.

The sparkle binding is nice but very unpractical. I did not look often at the dots but now when I know they are hard to spot, it makes me uncomfortable and then suddenly it makes me play the wrong note. Yes Im singing aswell...

Register Sign in to join the conversation