Modern Gretsch Guitars

White Falcon Dilemma

I've been wanting to purchase a White Falcon, BUT, I have pretty specific specs/features that I'd like. (Filtertrons, Trestle Bracing, Vertical Headstock Logo, Bigsby) I can't really find a model with all of those items so I think I have to get a '59 model with the Cadillac tailpiece, and just add the Bigsby... Anyone have any other suggestions, or have a guitar they want to sell with the above specs?

Have you pondered maybe the Double Cut? It isn't trestle braced but has everything else.

or the '59 Vintage Select Edition. I think this one has everything you're after minus the vertical logo.

https://www.gretschguitars....

– tabletop

If it were me, I'd trade no vertical logo to have the instrument be a single cut and get this one.

I've been wanting to purchase a White Falcon, BUT, I have pretty specific specs/features that I'd like. (Filtertrons, Trestle Bracing, Vertical Headstock Logo, Bigsby) I can't really find a model with all of those items so I think I have to get a '59 model with the Cadillac tailpiece, and just add the Bigsby... Anyone have any other suggestions, or have a guitar they want to sell with the above specs?

– mikep13p

Id seriously look at the Players Edition, Upgrades are already done. The Vintage Selects are VERY Nice, But the PE are amazing!

I appreciate the suggestions, but for me, there are no compromises on the specs I want. The vertical headstock logo is part of the falcon bling and all the other specs are "must have's" too. Again, fairly easy to do by just switching out the Cadillac tailpiece for a Bigsby... I just wasn't sure if there was a special run at some point with the specs of my choosing, or if someone had done it already and wanted to sell, or offer some of their perspective.

Right on!

At least there are models that are close enough for you to get there.

Keep us posted.

I appreciate the suggestions, but for me, there are no compromises on the specs I want. The vertical headstock logo is part of the falcon bling and all the other specs are "must have's" too. Again, fairly easy to do by just switching out the Cadillac tailpiece for a Bigsby... I just wasn't sure if there was a special run at some point with the specs of my choosing, or if someone had done it already and wanted to sell, or offer some of their perspective.

– mikep13p

so which is the model that has Filters, vertical logo, trestle bracing and the cadillac tailpiece?

I totally understand wanting it the way you want it.

But where are you seeing a '59 version with vertical logo and Cadillac tailpiece?

If it's simply a matter of changing a tailpiece to a Bigsby then that's a no-brainer! It will take all of 5 minutes. It's rare to get every spec you would like on a guitar so if the Bigsby is the only thing lacking then it's also the easiest thing to address.

I JUST posted this same picture in another thread, but oh well....

It’s my 2004 Falcon with the vertical logo, hump block feather inlays, filtertrons, and a tone switch. It’s awesome.

It has a sound post instead of trestle bracing. I’m sure you have your reasons for wanting trestle-bracing. I can tell you that I play this baby on stage at high volumes with gain, and the feedback is easy enough to control even though this giant she-demon is as hollow as my soul!

I JUST posted this same picture in another thread, but oh well....

It’s my 2004 Falcon with the vertical logo, hump block feather inlays, filtertrons, and a tone switch. It’s awesome.

It has a sound post instead of trestle bracing. I’m sure you have your reasons for wanting trestle-bracing. I can tell you that I play this baby on stage at high volumes with gain, and the feedback is easy enough to control even though this giant she-demon is as hollow as my soul!

– Calebaaron666

That's what I'm talking about! I think that the I could get behind that model... was that special to 2004? What is the model # for these specs?

That's just a 6136 ,they were made like that until 2006,that's when the DS Dyna Falcon and neo classic inlay Filter Falcon came out.

That's what I'm talking about! I think that the I could get behind that model... was that special to 2004? What is the model # for these specs?

– mikep13p

Yes, this is a 6136T. They made them like this in the early 00’s. I believe the 6136’s changed to the standard 59 looks in 2005.

I got lucky and found this on reverb.com on sale from a shop in St. Paul. It was marked down substantially for a labor day sale. It needed a little love upon arrival. The strings were about 10 years old, and it needed some cleaning. The nut had also come unglued at some point.

The only modifications I’ve made are schaller strap locks, a soft bigsby spring, and a stainless steel Tru-Arc bar bridge.

This was mine, I sold it a few years ago. Mine was a 2005 model . If you go to the "Guitars" section there are listings for most of the White Falcon models. This one as well as my Steven Stills White Falcon are there.

You could always have a look at Wildwood Guitars website. They have the Falcon you're after, albeit with a 16" (6120 sized) body and Super'Tron pickups. Might be worth a look there? I bought one of these when they did the first run a few years back. Mine had Gretsch HS Filter'Trons, but I've upgraded them to TV Classics. Beautiful guitar it is.

Register Sign in to join the conversation