Modern Gretsch Guitars

Which new gretsch hollowbody?

I'll be financing the guitar, so I don't wanna waste their time up at street sounds as I won't be just plunking down $2000+. I would love to check them out though! I have a 57 silver jet which has, I guess, a medium C shape? I love that, but could use a little more girth. The 59 6120 specs claim a V shape, and the others all day "standard U." what is the standard U, thick, thin, medium etc? Right now I'm really aiming at the Vintage Select smoke green annie, with the TV HiloTrons, I kinda like the unbound fretboard, and I love the green!!! That model is $2399

– Chmason85

By the very nature of the U-profile, in order to create sides of the U, the neck can generally be a bit thicker/deeper than a C but the actual difference with a C or D profile will create 'shoulders' to the profile, creating more mass - square centimeters/inches - to the cross section of the neck. The other active thread shows this perfectly and it's this total mass that your hand will feel, as opposed to the neck's width.

My sanded down Super Chet's wide neck - 1.80" - is a shallow C and easier to wrap my hand around to thumb fret than my '41 Synchro which is the standard 1.685" wide but a deep asymmetric U-shape.

I'll echo your remarks on the feel of the neck being a prime part of the decision making process. It would interesting if you could sit down blindfolded and have a 'parade' of Gretsches placed in your hands and play a bit. In that situation, I believe the feel of the neck would come into play big time. Having one of them be a 6122-'59 that has the wider neck would prove interesting.

– Windsordave

That's actually a very interesting idea Dave, the "Blindfold Test", the ultimate in "seeing" ( ) if the Guitar feels right in your hands. Every single solitary Guitar I've ever played was different. For Vintage, Collectibles, many times I've bought off the internet, but for personal Guitar's I like to try them out in person..........I'm going to test drive your blindfold theory when I have a chance with a sidekick, thx

I'd sure be looking at this one:

– Don Birchett

You and me both Bob!!! I've had my eye on that one!

Regardless of whether your financing or buying outright you are still potentially purchasing a very expensive instrument so don't feel bad about trying as many as you want for a decent amount of time each. You are giving the shop business. They are not doing you favour. They are being paid to cater to you, You are NOT wasting their time. Narrow it down if you want but try them out, for feel, sound, look and what vibe they give you. It all comes together. Neck profile is just one element in the mix and there's nothing like having a guitar in your hands, hearing, seeing and feeling it to decide what you want. Whatever you do DON'T wear a blindfold!!! Get one you love! Love to play.,, Love to hear and just as importantly Love to just look at sitting on a stand! A guitar that visually excites you as well as playing and sounding good will inspire you to play more. You don't want a functional machine, you want a $*^& dream guitar!

Regardless of whether your financing or buying outright you are still potentially purchasing a very expensive instrument so don't feel bad about trying as many as you want for a decent amount of time each. You are giving the shop business. They are not doing you favour. They are being paid to cater to you, You are NOT wasting their time. Narrow it down if you want but try them out, for feel, sound, look and what vibe they give you. It all comes together. Neck profile is just one element in the mix and there's nothing like having a guitar in your hands, hearing, seeing and feeling it to decide what you want. Whatever you do DON'T wear a blindfold!!! Get one you love! Love to play.,, Love to hear and just as importantly Love to just look at sitting on a stand! A guitar that visually excites you as well as playing and sounding good will inspire you to play more. You don't want a functional machine, you want a $*^& dream guitar!

– Toxophilite

Well put Sir! You know, as I play my dyna jet, I think the 6120 feeling is evaporating, I just need another dyna jet!

You might want to touch base with Rob Martyn at D'town Guitars (Rt. 611 north of Doylestown). He is a Gretsch dealer. When I was in his shop (2 weeks ago) he had "several" (6 to 8??) pro-series Gretsch guitars, including a jaw-dropping gorgeous kona 6120 seen here from Philly Guitar Show about a year (??) ago:

He had a couple of beautiful Duo Jets as well. Great service and his prices are the best I've seen anywhere.

Photos don't do it justice... Here is the same guitar with a Not-Too-Shabby-Looking Penguin.....

I remember that day. Both were gorgeous.

Gibson on the Gretsch site?

Some days you'd think it was a Gibson site! Not my interpretation of the "Other Guitars" category. Gibson and Fender have their own sites. Try posting a Gretsch thread over there and see where that gets you!

Some days you'd think it was a Gibson site! Not my interpretation of the "Other Guitars" category. Gibson and Fender have their own sites. Try posting a Gretsch thread over there and see where that gets you!

– Windsordave

From my experience on Gibson (My Les Paul) and Fender (Strat Talk) sites, most posters love or at least admire Gretsch guitars. I think it's OK to also love Gibson guitars on a Gretsch forum. PRS is not allowed though!

Just kidding for the 5 players here who own PRS guitars. I hear they are finely made instruments.

I guess the 'slow' Gretsch days are ripe for 'others' to infiltrate! I like the shot at PRS.

Right now I am down to 3 guitars - A Gibson, a Gretsch and a Fender. Love 'em all.

The 6120 Players Edition. Now that's what I call a great guitar. Go for it! I can't keep my hands off it whenever I go to my room.

Nothing beats trying it on. Rockys Streetsound is the best shop to try!

Register Sign in to join the conversation